The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default May 26 (T10 #104)

At long last, here's our first '10 update free of April Foolishness. As you may recall, I'm a big Heroes fan. And as you've probably heard, the show has just been cancelled. There's talk of a wrapup TV-movie, but that's no substitute for another season.

The most infuriating thing is that it feels like half the internet is cheering. Not even Enterprise had such a dance festival over its grave. Don't get me wrong, I haven't forgotten how good bashers are at inflating their numbers. But I don't understand why anyone would cheer for a cancellation -- it's a mindset I can't relate to. (Okay, maybe a little, but surely not every basher has an ex-girlfriend who's a big fan.)

Heroes had a good run, and I'm glad of that. It was never quite as good after Season 1, but that just means it was an above-average show instead of an extraordinary one. I know four seasons is more than most sf series get, and things weren't the same at this point without Nathan and Mohinder, my two favourite characters. But I'm still sorry to see the series go.

And when you read The Top 10 Things We'll Miss Out On Now That Heroes is Cancelled, you'll be sorry too.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Heroes S1 was awesome. S2 was not so good, but I was willing to cut it some slack because of the strike and everything. S3 started, and it was clear that things were just going downhill, so I stopped watching. Hadn't even heard it was canceled.

I actually bought the first season on DVD and rewatched it recently. It was still as good as I remember, a little slow to start, but once it gets going...

All that to say, I have no idea what anything on the top 10 refers to (did like the running joke of returning characters). I also liked the link to the musical.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

S1 was amazing. S2 was okay -- I just got the DVDs, and I really think they should have stuck with the alternate storyline which was cancelled by the writers' strike (Peter doesn't stop Adam from releasing the plague, and he, Nathan, and Matt are quarantined in Odessa). S3 started meh but got much much better after Bryan Fuller returned.

I almost gave up on the show at the end of S3 after the POINTLESS AND COMPLETELY FIXABLE death of Nathan, but my husband convinced me to keep going, and I'm glad I did. The Sylar/Nathan storyline was actually one of the most interesting ones the show has had, Samuel and the carnival made for intriguing villains, and HRG just kept getting cooler.

Hubby and I did have a thought about a possible spinoff: Peter, working as an EMT, each episode has someone he could potentially save with his ability of the week. But he has to decide what he keeps and what he gives up. It's really cool to have healing... but it wipes him out to the point where he can't function. It's really cool to be super-fast... but that doesn't save someone who already drowned. And so on. Lots of potential for actual drama, as well as room for humor, character development, romance, and Angela to stop by and annoy the crap out of her son on a regular basis. Plus anyone else in the Heroesverse can drop in and out as need be.