The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's okay, Sa'ar. We all know the American media sucks anyway. :hug hug pat pat: Here, have a cookie. I promise it's not John Sheridan flavoured. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:51 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Here, have a cookie. I promise it's not John Sheridan flavoured. [/quoteost_uid0]

*disgusted expression, nervous nibble*[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:54 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, it's not Sheridan flavoured right? See, now I only make cookies out of Minbari.

:watches Sa'ar gag and spit out the cookie:

Hey, I was only kidding...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-28-2003, 05:31 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Minbari's...tastes so good going down, not quite so good coming back up.

Back on topic, my parents went home tonight. The rest of the ravaged areas will be going home over the course of the next five or so days.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Glad to hear it, Steve.

I can't remember a fire like this in all my life. The fire risk is extreme on parts of the island, already.

I doubt those damn beetles helped any.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Beetles?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-29-2003, 02:42 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Methinks Nan refers to bark beetles, which infect and eventually kill conifer-type trees, turning them effectively into standing firewood.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Oh. But you mean live trees don't burn? Oh wait. Yeah. Dead trees have less water content.

Bah humbug.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-29-2003, 03:02 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]With a big, hot fire, they [iost_uid0]all[/iost_uid0] burn very nicely, but a healthy, live tree will generally survive a smaller fire quite well. In fact, some species, such as redwoods and Jefferson pine, [iost_uid0]require[/iost_uid0] a fire to cause the cones to open and release the seeds that sprout into new trees.

The beetles, however, have become a major problem in the western US and Canada, leading to forests in which a significant proportion of the trees are either [iost_uid0]not[/iost_uid0] healthy or just plain [iost_uid0]dead[/iost_uid0]. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-29-2003, 03:12 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000ost_uid0]In fact, some species, such as redwoods and Jefferson pine, [iost_uid0]require[/iost_uid0] a fire to cause the cones to open and release the seeds that sprout into new trees.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah. Learnt that last semsester during biodiversity lessons. :shudders:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-30-2003, 06:28 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I never thought I would actually learn something here :shudders:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 08-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]bad beetles, bad mostiquitoes, bad bugs in BC and rest of West...oh well, at least we have the Pacific ocean!

I'm glad to hear that most people are going home to Kelowna. Apperently there are still fires burning around BC, thankfully, though, ones that are as damaging. At least, let's hope it stays that way.[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 08-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Most of the people living inside the city will be home by the end of the weekend. Outside the city is still on Order, and will continue to be for the next little while, at least until things settle down.

It's Cranbrook's turn next.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 04:11 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm back in Kelowna now. I got in yesterday, and saw a huge column of smoke from the bus. There still appear to be trees, although it was hard to tell what colour they were through the haze and tinted windows. I got here just in time for a flare up. I could see massive flames two or three ridges to the east. The fire seems to be lurching at random in massive strides. Today five trestles from the Kettle Valley Railway, built in 1914-16 and now used as a tourist attraction, were burned. It's unlikely they'll be replaced. Most of the evacuees had gone home, but now they've evacuated 3200 or so people for a second time, and put 9000 more on alert. My parents have been on alert ever since they moved back in. The western edge of the new evacuation zone is not too far from us. This is just a precaution, since the fire is still 5km away from any houses. It seems fairly quiet today. The main thrust is well east of me, but there was smoke rising from the hills above my house and considerable helicopter activity. It's my understanding that this was a burnoff operation. There's no glow on the horizon tonight. There's nothing on the horizon tonight, actually - there's nothing but smoke. This means that the wind is blowing north, but there's very little breeze out there right now. The moon is a lurid red.

I went for a walk today to survey the devastation. It was surreal. Most homes were either unscathed or totally destroyed. The only in-between was some scorched and melted siding next to a ash-filled crater. The fire seemed rather capricious as it moved through - in the middle of a row of pits will be a pristine house. Most of the lawns are untouched as well, although it looks like a few cedars went up like torches. In less-affected areas, there's a single torched house on an untouched street. There's also treed lot that was meant to be a school site. It was never developed, and covered with a thick layer of duff. That duff is now gone, and a lot of the trees appear to be dying. On the other side of the subdivision is a steep sandy embankment overlooking a creek. That embankment was covered with 20 years' accumulation of grass clippings and raked needles. It got a bunch of houses along the edge, and came damned close to getting more. Only through heroic firefighter intervention was the neighbourhood saved. If it had gotten into the older part of Crawford - where my house is - it would have run amok through the cedar shingles, dried-out pine trees and piles of desiccated yard waste. Further north is mostly undeveloped thick forest and dead grass. We were damn lucky.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]That is weird how only one house on that street got torched. It was as if a stray ember floated and landed in the right place.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well but if the house was on the end of the street it would make more sense, wouldn't it?

:hopes that the fires GO AWAY AND [bost_uid0]NEVER[/bost_uid0] COME BACK!:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-05-2003, 11:58 PM

[quoteost_uid0="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000ost_uid0]That is weird how only one house on that street got torched. It was as if a stray ember floated and landed in the right place.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'd bet that's exacty what happened. With a fire that big, the updraft will carry away embers the size of softballs and drop them miles distant.[/colorost_uid0]