The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Read May 10 news update, which references http://www.faans.com/.

That's an interesting viewpoint, but I disagree with the assertion.

- With regard to Trek selling sex, it's my view that Trek has always sold sex. Those miniskirts on TOS don't strike me as probable attire for a starship. And as much as you can say "well, it was the 60s," The Cage had women in long pants. As for Troi, Dax, 7of9, and T'Pol, well, those characters have always been played up as being the pretty one that all the fanboys are going to obsess over.

- As for T'Pol's abuse, I don't perceive it as such. Sure, T'Pol has had difficulties in her journey, but Archer and Trip have got their own problems too.

- The further point about the relative underuse of Hoshi isn't specific to Hoshi. Mayweather is the most neglected character, then Hoshi, then Reed and Phlox. Really Enterprise has revisited TOS's Big-Three formula, and it works for it.

- Lastly, I find it interesting that he didn't like Fusion. Sure, T'Pol's rape was disturbing, but it was supposed to be. I thought the episode was well handled.

Anyway, it was an interesting read. Thanks for the link, Zeke.

Anyone else want to share their perspective?[/colorost_uid0]