Commbadges (chirping optional) 0 0%
Lightsabres (I see your Swartz is as big as mine) 0 0%
Phasers (so we can blink them to death) 1 10.00%
Cybernetic eyes (VISORs can look tacky) 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

I have to go with replicators, too. Post-scarcity economy for the win!

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Uh, and where are you going to get the energy to run all of those replicators? I suppose simple antimatter technology should've been on the list.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

I am highly disappointed in all this, as I'd much prefer a Stargate. Yes, with all the inherent risks and technological foibles and...

Screw it. I want Atlantis. It's basically a big piece of technology (with other bits in it). And the ATA gene if I don't have it.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM

Um, I don't think the city itself counts. If you wanted transporter "elevator" booths, that'd be fine. ZPM, Puddle Jumpers (wonder if McKay's still stewing that Gateship was shot down), Life Signs Detectors (why can't they just use the word tricorder?), yadda yadda are all okay wishes.

Then again, (SPOILER ALERT!) the entire city is an intergalactal starship, so maybe it does count. Nah, still wouldn't count.

Time for a little grumble. "Ancient" was okay in the first season, but that Asgard guy should've used the word Alteran in "The Fifth Race" and be done with it. Seriously, these guys aren't gone, they aren't purely mythical, they exist today and some of them are still actively meddling in mortal affairs. If I was an Alteran, I'd be insulted that people who knew my race name and knew that my race still lived were still using the word Ancient.

Oh, and where are the Furlings, and are they furry? And what's with the ninth chevron? After ten years, we want answers!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Atlantis is a city-ship. Originally it was connected to the Antartic outpost. It counts. (And if not, I just want a Puddle Jumper. Those things are awesome.)

Actually, their race name is NOT Alteran. Alteran is Latin for 'the others', or close to it, which they use to distinguish themselves from the Ori. Nor is it 'Lantian', which is merely 'resident of Atlantis'. The true race name of the Ancients/Ori is still unknown. Hence calling them Ancients in the first place.

/Stargate geek mode

Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Okay, Mr. Smartie-Pants, YOU explain why they never identified themselves. If you're going to be persnickety, then their name really IS Ancient, like that Asgard guy said. In that case Othar wouldn't have said "I am what you would call an Ancient," she'd have said "I am an Ancient." Explain that, too.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Uh, and where are you going to get the energy to run all of those replicators? I suppose simple antimatter technology should've been on the list.
Since when did we have to worry about power? You said, and I quote,

Quote:
So this poll and discussion is for these devices. If you could have one of them in a cost-effective, nonpolluting, bug-free (or at least as bug-free as Trek gets ) way, which one?
The cost-effective part implies that power consumption will not be unreasonable.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Man in the iron mask

Besides, M/AM power isn't even on the list...

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Suuuuuper genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Okay, Mr. Smartie-Pants, YOU explain why they never identified themselves. If you're going to be persnickety, then their name really IS Ancient, like that Asgard guy said. In that case Othar wouldn't have said "I am what you would call an Ancient," she'd have said "I am an Ancient." Explain that, too.
Simple. They don't want humans to know too much about them. If they had the name of their race, they could find out more, and the Ancients want them to find their own path to Ascension. That they've learned this much at all is a mistake, but they are still extremely tight-fisted with information. It's very possible also that they never properly identified themselves to the other three races, as they were already so far in advance they felt the same applied.
Personally, I believe the Ancients called themselves humans. That's why the Milky Way humans are second-generation, and they make seperate distinctions (Kelownans, Tauri, etc.) among them. It's not so much a stretch.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Uh, and where are you going to get the energy to run all of those replicators?
Power stations in close orbit around the sun, which will convert the huge flux of energy coming off it into microwaves and then beam it to Earth (as described by Asimov in "Reason"). It'll be collected by receivers at the tops of the space elevators and fed into the electrical grid from there.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

If you can have Atlantis, then why not the Enterprise - E. Then you get everything. Warp, tricoders, comm badges, phasers, transporters....
I think that is the reason why you can't pick whole ships.
To be honest, if I could take one thing from ST...anything...it would be the advanced nature of the people, the humans. I know there are still some gits, but most, as troi said, are united. Just think what we have done in the last hundred years as a race. Split the atom. Taken to the sky. Taken to space. Look at our technolgy. Ok it isn't quite Trek level, but we do have some amazing things (The internet!) But that was while we've been doing all this fighting and crap. It makes you wonder, if we could pour all our energy into 'improving ourselves', without the in-fighting part, just think just what we could do. Not having to spend all our money on defence budgets. Or worrying about north korea making bombs. I'm certain if things were pushed and the world was more united we could have a real chance at doing amazing things.
It just makes me think.
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 PM

That'd be your first wish, then.

Oh, and how would ignorance of their true name stop Daniel? He knows what makes Ancient look different than Latin, right? He can take a look at the writing and say "that's Ancient!"

Uh, even Daniel, given a full set of Ascention 101 books, couldn't do it on his own, and we're led to believe that if DANIEL can't do it, no one can. He needed Oma Desala's meddling, BOTH times. And she's a little tied up at the moment, so she ain't gonna be helping anyone else.

Uh, even if they called themselves "humans," they wouldn't. They'd use the word for "human" in Latin or whatever. That would give them an identity all their own, right?

Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Suuuuuper genius

If he's the only one who can translate the language, what's to stop the memory block Oma put on him to keep blocking key details? Like their name, which would be why he doesn't know it.

They barely knew what Ascension was before that point. If he had a guide, which he hasn't, then he could probably do it.

I think you're forgetting what language a lot of our words come from. But who said anything about Latin? And why would they use that and not the translation? Besides, it's the same thing anyway. No matter whether I say 'fire', 'pyro', 'incendie', or 'kaji', it all means the same thing, that stuff that burns you when you touch it, right? So even though they use another language, it means the same thing. Languages = semantics.

Why can't we pick ships? A ship is a technology, technically. Go ahead and pick the Enterprise.

Again, if I can't have Atlantis, I'll take the Atlantis Stargate.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Suuuuuper genius

If he's the only one who can translate the language, what's to stop the memory block Oma put on him to keep blocking key details? Like their name, which would be why he doesn't know it.

They barely knew what Ascension was before that point. If he had a guide, which he hasn't, then he could probably do it.

I think you're forgetting what language a lot of our words come from. But who said anything about Latin? And why would they use that and not the translation? Besides, it's the same thing anyway. No matter whether I say 'fire', 'pyro', 'incendie', or 'kaji', it all means the same thing, that stuff that burns you when you touch it, right? So even though they use another language, it means the same thing. Languages = semantics.

Why can't we pick ships? A ship is a technology, technically. Go ahead and pick the Enterprise. With replicators you could build them anyway...except that you're forgetting, it needs a database to work from.

Again, if I can't have Atlantis, I'll take the Atlantis Stargate.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 AM

Hey, we use the foreign equivalents of words every single day. Ciao, hola, hombre, dinero, yada yada. If a word like "grumtie" means "human" in Ancient, we can say that they're Grumties. It's that simple.

Uh, whoever said that we're advanced? As a whole, I mean. There are some ubersmart and uberinnovative people out there, granted, but the average joes and other induhviduals among us outnumber the geniuses.

Oh, and choosing ships, I think, violates the spirit of the question. It actually borders on greedy, if you ask me.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Yes, but you're missing the point. In modern vernacular, it means the same thing. The word itself is irrelevant if you have the meaning, and the meaning is that since humans are the second evolution of the Ancients, since they are their descendants, they're a less-evolved version of the same race. Similar meaning, who gives a flip about the name?

I didn't say everyone could. I said Daniel could. Big difference.

Then I call the Atlantis Stargate, eight crystals and all. Whoever gets the single working ZPM (that's ZedPM, in case you were confused about the pronunciation) left in existence, ring me up and we'll do some galaxy-hopping. Obtaining new technologies and heading to Atlantis to pick stuff up. Through the Stargate, which is practically a cheat in itself.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 AM

I give a "flip" about the name. "Human" does not equal "Ancient." Ancient > human. They can do stuff we can't. They know stuff that we don't. Their entire culture is completely different from ours.

ZedPM is the Canadian pronounciation. It is no more or less proper than ZeePM.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Suuuuuper genius

If the name the Ancients use for themselves turns out to mean human, or to be translated as such, or even to be that word specifically, go on and refer to them as the Ancients. It might even be more accurate now than any name they would've had for themselves. Fact is humans are descended from them, and while they don't have those powers yet it is accepted they will eventually develop them.

Zed is the proper, British pronunciation of the letter. Y'know, the people who invented the language? ;p

Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Man in the iron mask

*snaps photos of thread participants, files them under "cantankerous"*

You're all ignoring the most important Stargate question: why does Teal'c have those freakishly large lips?

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 12-09-2006, 10:42 PM

Frick the stargate. You can only go where they lead you.

Give me warp-ludicrous anyday. (And that means I get the whole warp bundle, too.... he-he! Warp core, the intertial dampeners, etc, etc...*)