The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

Old 07-15-2004, 03:52 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default The End of the 5MV Forums - ....on ikonBoard, that is

Yes, you read that correctly. This is the END of the 5MV Forums. On the ikonBoard system.

Some of you will recall the site going down for a while last December. This was the result of our server being used to hack other servers. Our ikonBoard was the entry point -- the version we were using had a nice big security hole, easily exploited. We got it patched, but apparently there are others. More to the point, ikonBoard is no longer being updated or patched -- the developers have abandoned it for other systems. (That part I didn't find out till the server move in April.)

Charles, the Trek Nation's tech guy, has been urging me to change to a new forum system since he found out we were still using an iB. I haven't done it yet since I haven't really had time and it's a fair amount of work, but the glitches (such as our registration problem) are really getting annoying, and Charles has basically made it clear to me he won't continue fixing them. So it's time to get things moving.

The first thing I need is feedback from you guys. In your browsing, what forum systems have you been the happiest with? (If you don't know the name of a system, just link me to the board in question.) What features do you consider the most important? I want to hear from as many of you as possible about this, because it's your community I have to uproot and plant someplace else. (It's your metaphor I have to mix, too.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 AM
Lone Ranger

Location: Where it's cold in winter and hot in summer, yet not warm in spring.

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kinda scared me for a minute, Zeke. All I read was "End of 5MV..."

For our FFXI LS Forum we got one from BBFree.com, we haven't had any problems with it, except it sometimes doesn't want to let us view pictures. As for important features, I can't really think of any.

Good-bye top ten! Good-bye old comments on Fivers! Good-bye really high post counts on some people! Good-bye! :bawl:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 04:43 AM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]What version are you running here, anyway? I know my other favourite board has an IkonBoard of an earlier version than this one, apparently without problems - though we don't get nearly as much traffic as here, so perhaps it just seems good because nobody has bothered to attack it yet.

There's also phpBB, which I've seen used for one pretty high-profile board which has not been hacked yet in the years it's been there, to my knowledge.

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]UBBThreads (see TrekBBS or Terran) seems to be a good one, so far as I know anything about these things. It also happens to be the company Charles works for.

VBulletin also looks and functions quite nicely (see TrollKingdom.com, StraightDope.com and/or SubSpaceBBS.com for examples.) It also seems to be favored somewhat among programming-geek types over UBB.

S'all I know.[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 07-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]As far as features go, I've always been pretty happy with iB. A better search function would be nice (e.g. one that turns up individual posts, not the entire 20-page thread).

Scooter, any chance of updating the Top10 pdf before meltdown :P[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 07-15-2004, 09:11 AM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Another vote for phpBB. Looks and behaves (to the user) similar to iB. I have no experience hosting one so I have no server-related opinion.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I like vBulletin too.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 12:31 PM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

[color=#000000ost_uid0]What's important to me? Being able to have an avatar...since I just learned how to do it! Post counts aren't what matter either. It makes some of us feel like we have to compete. *Stares at Cat* 4000 eh? sheesh!

Ummmmmmmm yeah. I also like it when the threads stay on the board for awhile. Like DC's new forum the threads go away into nothingness. Oh and I like that Vantagenet used to give us the option of newest or threaded...but boards like this make that option kinda ancient. Anyways, I guess I'll have to register with a new board...AGAIN! Let's hope it doesn't take me as long to re- register.

Oh and one more thing that's important to me, at this new board, multiples should be allowed! (!)

[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 02:52 PM
You fived my battleship!

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Zeke, I think I speak for everyone when I say that there is nothing really [iost_uid0]wrong[/iost_uid0] with the system we have, except for the aforementioned security problems. I for one would not mind kicking in a few bucks for a painless system that wasn't free. But this is coming from a rich college student. Whatever you do, it would be nice to have some historical preservation of the current posts. Some of the funniest things on five-minute.com, er... fiveminute.net are in the forums.[/colorost_uid0]

McCoy: Dammit Jim I'm a Doctor, not a... oh sure!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Looks like I need to update the one-by-one story, lol[/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Er... One that will let you keep your postcount?

Hm let's see. I like the "New Posts" option, that's for sure.

I agree that we should somehow keep the archives, if possible.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]There has to be a way to archive all these posts. We may not be able to continue adding to them, but it's worth saving them somewhere. I don't really know about any other forum types considering this is the only forum I visit. But.. avatar is important, so is member titles. And we need a good set of emoticons too. [/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:51 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I haven't a clue when it comes to board software - what would be the pros and cons of each one?

An archive would be nice, I think - the admins at the Outpost Gallifrey forums did that when they switched software and server.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Aww...it's a shame that you have to change it at all. I kinda like it the way it is. But i guess thats just me...i despise change! But...i guess if the new one has all the good features of this one, ie. avatars, member titles, etc, and of course has all you guys, then it will be great too! [/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 09:59 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]For those who have been wondering about this, some of the old threads will be saved -- I'm going to save copies of all the update comment threads, for example, and redirect the Comment links on the news pages to point to the saved copies.

No, I'm not going to carry your postcounts over. Dream on.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I like phpBB. It's free and it's good.

Hehe. Postcount reset. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid7][quoteost_uid7="Wade"]a rich college student[/quoteost_uid7]
Such things exist? :O

Zeke, there should ( hopefully! ) still be a poll thread in the computers forum at TrekBBS, asking people to vote on the best forum software. Might have fallen off the page, but hopefully it hasn't been pruned.

Having seen InvisionFree and vBulletin and UBB and maybe phpBB, what comes to my mind is: Keep these nifty post icons! [imgost_uid7]http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/html/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-2/PostIcons/icon5.gif[/imgost_uid7][/colorost_uid7]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 07-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]For those who have been wondering about this, some of the old threads will be saved...[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]The Top Ten Lists thread MUST be saved! [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 07-16-2004, 01:55 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]::shudder::[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Avatars, member titles and a smashing set of emoticons-- that's all I ask for. [/colorost_uid0]