The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-21-2003, 05:11 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]WARNING: Reading this thread before having seen the series finale of [iost_uid0]Buffy the Vampire Slayer[/iost_uid0] could be hazardous to your health.

I find it amusing that I of all people am starting this thread, since I always used to make fun of fans of BtVS. What can I say? I have a pathologically addictive personality.

I was looking forward to the series finale. [iost_uid0]Really[/iost_uid0] looking forward to it. "Touched" and "End of Days" were two of the best episodes of the season, if not the series. And for the first two-thirds of the finale, I thought "Chosen" was going to top them. But only for that long.

"Chosen" reminds me of the DS9 finale "What You Leave Behind"... a finale with great plot, great character moments, great acting, that I absolutely hated. I can't stand that Spike sacrificed himself. I can't stand that Anya died just to save that annoying little hick Andrew. I can't stand that nobody seemed to care that this happened. It just plain stinks.

I need to go read some Jane Austen... at least there, the good guys get rewarded and the bad guys get their comeuppance.

Aside from my distaste of unhappy endings, my only two nitpicks for the final few episodes were that Angel's cameo felt way too forced ("Hey look, everybody! It's Angel! Aren't you happy to see Angel? Angel!") and the writers concealing Buffy's plan with regards to the potentials felt too forced. ("Wow, Buffy, that was a great plan you just explained to us in full during that commercial break.")

I also liked that the finale kept the usual BtVS wit going. Three of my favorites were Giles, Xander, Amanda and Andrew playing Dungeons & Dragons (Giles: "I used to be a highly respected Watcher. Now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical power of a doiley."), Spike's "Angel" punching bag (particularly the spikey hair), and the banter about Anya and Andrew fighting together.

[bost_uid0]Andrew:[/bost_uid0] I'll defend it with my very life.
[bost_uid0]Anya:[/bost_uid0] Yes. We'll defend it with his very life.
[bost_uid0]Xander:[/bost_uid0] And don't be afraid to use him as a human shield.
[bost_uid0]Anya:[/bost_uid0] Yeah, thanks.

I'd love that exchange if it weren't for the unnecessarily gruesome end of Anya. :crying:

And a final thought: I've been informed by Zeke that James Marsters is supposed to be on Angel next season. That will sure be an interesting trick. Not only that, but Spike back from the dead-again and not tracking down Buffy? To that, I say pfffffffft.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-21-2003, 05:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Anya's death made me very sad. I had thought it would be Dawn until I realized that's what they were building towards-and therefore that would probably be inaccurate.

My favorite part:

"I love you, Spike."
"No you don't. But thanks for saying it."[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm wondering if Angel is going to have to deal with a number of slayers-gone-bad now that [iost_uid0]all[/iost_uid0] the potentials have been activated.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Great line:

[bost_uid0]Buffy:[/bost_uid0] He had to split.

Made me laugh.

Tend to agree on most of the points you made, Kira.[/colorost_uid0]