The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Long fellow

Default Is anyone following the New Plan to Save Enterprise?

This is such complete madness that I figure it has to appeal to some fellow members of the Fiver community:

This is from the TrekBBS thread (http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showf...Number=3952274) that came within a hair of crashing the server yesterday:

Quote:
LET THE FANS PAY FOR ENTERPRISE!

On trekweb, a poster broke down some numbers assuming 1.6 million per episode: $1,600,000 an episode times 22 episodes comes out to $35,200,000 for a season. $35,200,000 divided by 3,000,000 viewers is $11.74 each. He suggested we contribute to pay for Season 5, a great idea! 3 million has been the average for Season 4. $11.74? Let's round it to $12.00 even x 3 mil equals $36,000,000.00 for Season 5. I spend 12 bucks on Domino's Pizza!

Let's put our money where our hearts, minds and mouths are and start a fund to pay for the cost of Season 5. We need a central website and Saveenterprise is just the place. I support letter writing and buying ads as much as the next guy but desparate times calls for desparate measures so along with the writing campaign, phone calls to CBS and Paramount, protest at the offices, let's do something that's never been done before: THE FANS PAY FOR SEASON 5! The cancellation of Enterprise hasn't gotten any attention except for a blurb in the entertainment sections of the papers so let's shake things up and get some publicity!

CBS/Viacom, UPN, Paramount are all saying Enterprise is cost prohibitive to renew...ok, fine, we the fans want the show to come back, we'll pay for it! I don't want to make demands like fire Rick Berman or hire Shatner for an episode, that would stink of extortion. My only demand would be for Manny Coto and Reeves-Stevens to remain in the same capacity.
We'll get criticism from the press that we are willing to pony up cash for a TV show but not for Tsunami victims...hey, I've donated to the tsunami victims and others, my conscience is clear. I think its worth contributing 12 bucks to a series that's just hitting its stride and then getting prematurely de-railed!

Let's cut the crying Enterprise fans and put the grief and anger aside. Be proactive, we need to UNITE- best place is saveenterprise- and lay it on the line. According to another thread we have until the end of March, that's when the sets are chopped down, the cast are released from their contracts, etc. Again my friends, THE PUBLICITY ALONE WOULD CREATE BUZZ FOR ENTERPRISE! Headlines would read "FANS DONATE MONEY TO SAVE SERIES!"

USA Today wrote last year..."Never underestimate the power of a trekkie!" Goddamn right...I'm willing to donate $12 to raise funds for Season 5, who's with me?
Similar threads have popped up on the saveenterprise, trekweb, stuniverse, and startrek.com forums. I have literally sat and watched messages appear pledging a total of thousands of dollars, and, I'm told, there is far more on Tim (Saveenterprise founder)'s e-mail server.

A central domain is being set up as I write, with a secure server for donations.

Call me an optimist, but it is not yet the time to give up hope!

Stay tuned...