The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 03-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Also, Gollum appears to have never existed -- did you notice he wasn't in a single effects shot they showed?[/quoteost_uid0]
What? I didn't watch them, but that is just crazy! Â Granted, there are a lot of special effects, but Gollum is one of the most amazing ones.

I think the reason they got shafted on the acting nominations is it is too much of an ensemble movie.  Not enough screen time for anyone in one movie anyway, except maybe Frodo in the first film.  I thought the acting was excellent myself, lots of attention to facial expressions and little details.  They need a best ensemble nomination that includes all the extras and everything, they would have won that  :smile:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Quinalla's got a point. They couldn't spend too much time on getting any one actor's acting exactly right because there were so many actors to work with.

But one part that sticks in my mind as being subpar is the start of TTT, where Aragorn & co. are running along. Legolas's :dead: ly cheesy mug shot is the direction's fault. But then Aragorn does this terribly threadbare bit where he runs up to the proverbial duct tape X on the ground, stops and immediately goes Shakespeare (and seems to be attempting to make it all look and sound perfectly spontaneous. Well, he fails at that) and immediately begins running again.

And then, if I remember correctly, Legolas does the same thing. "Run up to this point, turn and gaze in this direction, deliver this monologue, turn back around and start running again."

(Neither of the monologues were anything that would have just occurred to one or the other suddenly after several days of running through the land. If they're going to bother to stop to say it, it's probably because the thoughts behind the monologue are gradually taking hold of their attention. So I'd expect them to slow down to a stop over several steps, not stop in their tracks as if they had just discovered a gorge lay before them.)

[iost_uid0]I[/iost_uid0] could have done that. Well, except for the apparent lack of deep breathing that I remember on their part. Apparently our heroes are so hardened by years of hard living that their muscles use the same amount of oxygen to run as to stand still...but that's getting ridiculously off topic, I suspect. [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]Plus it doesn't have Leonardo[/quoteost_uid0]
Let go, damn you. Let go of those 3 hours I can never get back!

[quoteost_uid0]or Charleton Heston.[/quoteost_uid0]

Yeah, I'm still siding with the apes on that one.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Infinitely prolonged

[color=#000000ost_uid0]:lol: Â :lol: Â :lol: Great article (or whatever you call it), Zeke.[/colorost_uid0]

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>
Old 03-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]"What I'd like to know is how a movie about evil, evil war won the Nobel Peace Prize," observed actor Viggo Mortensen. [/quoteost_uid0]

In addition to the physics, chemistry, medicine, and literature prizes...

[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ Economics, too, no doubt. :smile:[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 03-04-2004, 01:49 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Are you kidding? It won the Nobel Prize in hot dog skiing.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I do agree with you that the one-liners during the running sequence were a little lame in TT, NAHTMMM, but Viggo did have a broken toe (from kicking the orc helmet, the take he did it in is the one in the movie btw), Orlando had a broken rib (from falling off a horse), heck even the guy who played the scale double for Gimli had an injury (not that he talked). Â They were the gimp squad running around all over the place

I think it would have been better if they had done a scene with those three during one of the nights. They don't run at night in the books because they are afraid of missing another sign like Pippen's leaf clasp. Â Then they could have had a conversation instead of silly one-liners. Â And besides, Viggo selling the tracking scene where he tells us exactly what happened to Merry and Pippen made up for it IMO.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Quinalla"]I think it would have been better if they had done a scene with those three during one of the nights. They don't run at night in the books because they are afraid of missing another sign like Pippen's leaf clasp. Â Then they could have had a conversation instead of silly one-liners.[/quoteost_uid0]
Sounds good to me! They may have avoided anything of the sort because they wanted to keep up the pace and the sense of urgency on the runners' part.

[quoteost_uid0]Â And besides, Viggo selling the tracking scene where he tells us exactly what happened to Merry and Pippen made up for it IMO.[/quoteost_uid0]
I agree he did that scene well. [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 03-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Are you kidding? Â It won the Nobel Prize in hot dog skiing.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hot dog skiing? Is that like the Inuit tradition of using frozen fish as sled runners? [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-06-2004, 04:56 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]In hot dog skiing, you ski off a slope and then pull off as many crazy flips and twists as you can before you hit the ground. It was an event in the old Olympics-based Commodore 64 game Winter Games. Man, I spent hours playing that game.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ahhhhh, yes.[/colorost_uid0]