The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Time for another reply roundup. First of all: evay! Always good to see you. Stick around -- if you were pleased about VOY content, wait'll you see the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZer0 View Post
^^Everyone always means their own Doctor.
Well put.

Quote:
Guesses? Death Note fits the pattern. So does Excel Saga, but it's already crack. Not sure if you've seen Elfen Lied. Lucky Star, same as Excel Saga.

Death Note is easier to make fun of, but Elfen Lied seems more your thing...still gonna have to say the first.
Haven't seen Elfen Lied. (Been meaning to; my brother liked it.) I love Excel Saga, and I was a Death Note fan before it was cool, courtesy of Tarn-Vedra. I don't like the trend Lucky Star represents, but it had enough charm that I watched the whole thing anyway. However, none of these are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar
(Not really following, since I don't buy comics, but I got the introductory issue on Free Comics Day and I've been reading up on the background on the DC wiki. I thought Indigo was going to be Altruism to balance Avarice until I saw they'd written Compassion in very tiny, very missable font. All the colours either side of Green seem to be opposites, or opposites once removed (Love and Anger (nearly hate), Fear and Hope, Compassion and Avarice (nearly Selflessness and Selfishness)).
Actually, if you know that much, you're following it more than I am. I've been kind of underwhelmed with Green Lantern events ever since Hal Jordan came back. But I seem to be alone on that -- everyone else thought Sinestro Corps was the bee's knees, and now all of comics fandom is hopping about Blackest Night. Go figure.

Quote:
The transporter magically fixes everything at the end of the episode, especially if it caused the problem in the first place. Unless you're implying Banana Whatsername isn't up to the same standard as Scotty or Geordi or O'Brien?
Well, this is more of a medical problem, so it's in Doc's wheelhouse. And he's the one who took months to separate Tuvix, so draw your own conclusions about his expertise. My point is just that made-up technology is very convenient from a writing standpoint -- if I want something to be really difficult, it can be, even if it's superficially similar to more easily-solved problems. (There are analogs in math. Solve a quadratic equation by algebra? Easy. Cubic or quartic equation? Much harder than you'd expect. Quintic equation? Provably impossible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger
I'm hoping for Death Note or Azumanga Daioh, on the grounds that those are the only two animes I've actually ever seen.
All right, another Azu fan! I've actually been making references to that anime from the start. Sata andagi is mentioned more than once, and the repeating background image is the face of Chiyo-chichi. (Speaking of whom, note Ando's introduction in How to Debate an Exploding Candidate.)

Azu wouldn't be good fiver material, but it's perfect for short comedy pieces. I love DB Sommer's vignettes, for instance. My own contribution to the Azusphere, Elegy For Chiyo-sensei, was written in a very special way -- see if you can figure it out. I'll probably stick it in Features at some point.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Time for another reply roundup. First of all: evay! Always good to see you. Stick around -- if you were pleased about VOY content, wait'll you see the next update.
::bouncy bouncy bouncy:: YAY! I don't follow anime, so it's been a bit of a dry spell waiting for something I'm familiar with to come up.

[The rest of this post refers to a discussion which is now in 5M.net Talk. - Z]

As far as April Fool's, Zeke, you do whatever makes you happy, and take however long you need. It's your site. There are no deadlines. Although it would make me happy if you did at least someday read the three Classic BSG fivers I sent you, even if you never get around to posting them -- I would love to know if you think they're any good.

Nate, do you have a site of your own? Just curious.

Last edited by Zeke; 02-14-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Long fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
All right, another Azu fan! I've actually been making references to that anime from the start. Sata andagi is mentioned more than once, and the repeating background image is the face of Chiyo-chichi. (Speaking of whom, note Ando's introduction in How to Debate an Exploding Candidate.)

Azu wouldn't be good fiver material, but it's perfect for short comedy pieces. I love DB Sommer's vignettes, for instance. My own contribution to the Azusphere, Elegy For Chiyo-sensei, was written in a very special way -- see if you can figure it out. I'll probably stick it in Features at some point.
I have to thank my girlfriend for my exposure to Azumanga. Lovely show. (Lovely girlfriend!) And, yeah, I suppose you're right that it's pretty much unfivable, not least because it's already five minutes long as it is. It is, however, very well-suited to constant references in every other fiver universe, being as it is a heaven made of tropes (and trope deconstructions). I would not be displeased to see more of it.

I loved your story, too. It is a universe perfectly suited to a... story like that, because the insanity just blends into the general background of insanity that is everything on that show. And, no, I did not figure it out until you started explaining.

One final note:

Quote:
It's fun. And with a couple more of these, we can get together and call ourselves an institute.
Was that a reference to "Gumboots"? If so, I also recommend more Paul Simon references in future fivers.

Thanks for the links! Though you pretty much condemned me to another full reread of "Exploding Candidate," which ate into most of my lunch hour, and I hate you for that. It's good to meet another Azu fan who is a boy.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Long fellow

Observation: Today is April 1st.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Oh, is there some sort of custom associated with that date?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

yep. We celebrate the birthday of April Patterson from For Better or For Worse.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Long fellow

Oh, I was thinking of Edible Book Day. I assumed somebody here would be participating.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Man, can you believe how big April was by the time the comic ended? I still think of Michael Patterson as a high-school student. Aging her characters realistically was a bold move on Lynn Johnston's part, but it can sure make readers feel old.

Oh, by the way, I'm turning Five-Minute Anime into Five-Second Anime forever. Well, not forever, just until my evil superdeformed clone takes over.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Okay, I'm saying this here so I don't have to say it in the new thread. The update I'm currently making will not quite be up by midnight EST. I am going to call it April 1 anyway. I am aware that this is cheating. I'm cutting myself some slack because I really tried hard to make it.

So help me, if I get trouble about this I will burn the land and boil the sea.