The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 10:24 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]This is one that falls under the 'improbable but true' category - the Ig Nobels are an alternative award for some of the wierder and less probable science that's going on out there. And trust me, it is all actually true, unbelieveable as that might seem.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 03-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]"Estimation of the Total Surface Area in Indian Elephants."[/quoteost_uid0]

Every discipline has its lunatic fringe, although in physics that fringe occurs a lot closer to the core. Who else but physicists could come up with terms like WIMPs and MACHOs?

[quoteost_uid0]computer-based automatic dog-to-human language translation device.
[/quoteost_uid0]

"Hey! Hey! Heyheyheyheyheyheyhey! Heeeeeeeyyyyyy! Hey!"[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 06:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Sa'ar-that last thing was from The Far Side, right?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Sa'ar-that last thing was from The Far Side, right?[/quoteost_uid0]

Of course. You think I come up with all this stuff myself?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*rolls on floor laughing*

Ah, Sa'ar. That was good. Well, ah, Gary Larson, that was good.

~Nan[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]John Richards of Boston, England, founder of The Apostrophe Protection Society, for his efforts to protect, promote, and defend the differences between plural and possessive. [/quoteost_uid0]

Rumour has it Bob the Angry Flower was the second member.

[quoteost_uid0]Dr. Jack and Rexalla Van Impe of Jack Van Impe Ministries, Rochester Hills, Michigan, for their discovery that black holes fulfill all the technical requirements to be the location of Hell. [/quoteost_uid0]

Prior to 'Dr.' Van Impe's research, Hell was thought to be located in Secaucus, New Jersey.

[quoteost_uid0]"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments."

Chris Niswander of Tucson, Arizona, for inventing PawSense, software that detects when a cat is walking across your computer keyboard.

The British Royal Navy, for ordering its sailors to stop using live cannon shells, and to instead just shout "Bang!"
[/quoteost_uid0]

There is absolutely nothing I can say to make these any funnier. You can't make this stuff up.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 12:23 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Karl Kruszelnicki of The University of Sydney, for performing a comprehensive survey of human belly button lint -- who gets it, when, what color, and how much.[/quoteost_uid0]

Somebody had a [iost_uid0][bost_uid0]lot[/bost_uid0][/iost_uid0] of free time on their hands. And few (or no) friends. And few (or no) interests.

But it achives the Ig Nobel goal, I guess...

[quoteost_uid0]Every Ig Nobel Prize winner has done something that first makes people LAUGH, then makes them THINK. Technically speaking, the Igs honor people whose achievements "cannot or should not be reproduced." [/quoteost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]One of my profs told us an anecdote a couple weeks ago about some research that could qualify for an Ig Nobel.

Several years ago (this is probably going back to at least the 70's if not farther), one of the professors in the Microbiology department decided to investigate whether you could get vitamin K from intestinal bacteria. To do this, he found some grad students to experiment on. (Grad students apparently have no rights in the scientific community; you wouldn't be able to get away with this on any animal -- they're too well protected. ) Anyways, he put these grad students on a diet extremely low in vitamin K. This may not sound so bad until you realize how many things have vitamin K in them; these students weren't allowed to eat milk products or leafy greens to name a few and were basically living off diet coke and Jell-o. Naturally, this made the poor grad students pretty weak and exhausted. As if this weren't enough, just to make absolutely sure that their vitamin K levels were lowered (because this experiment was so important to science, you know), the professor gave the students low doses of warfarin.

For those of you who may not be aware, warfarin is used as rat poison.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]OMG, you know, I think i've heard of this case. Those poor students. Of course it's just like me having to be practiced on by my peers. If someone has a sharp pointy instrument they've never even looked at before cept 3 minutes ago, and now they're gonna play around with it in your mouth...... uh huh that's what I thought

And my tongue still hurts from where Cynthia cut me while placing XRay films last tuesday! Mrs Wood was wiping off the blood![/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!