The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 02-10-2004, 05:22 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Heheheh. Great list, Standback.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Top Ten Things We Will Never Hear Bashir Say.

10. Why should I try to save O'Brien's life? He's only a human being.
9. Since you're way better at darting than me, you'll have to stand farther from the board than me.
8. Ezri? What the hell are you doing here? Get away from me, creep!
7. Why should I try to save Odo's life? It's not like he has one.
6. The sinus of a third pi? I don't know.
5. I've never lost a patient, although I've misplaced one from time to time.
4. I like her, but she's not really to my tastes.
3. I'm sorry, I must sound a dreadful bore. Â Let's talk about you for a while.
2. Captain Julian Bashir? Â I like tha sound of that.
1. GAK! (After all, he's a main character)

Numbers 5 through 2 are Sa'ar's, though.

Next: Top Ten ways in which ICQ is superior to MSN.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Top Ten ways in which ICQ is superior to MSN. [/quoteost_uid0]

10. It's not Microsoft
9. The ability to send offline messages.
8. It's not Microsoft.
7. Chatlogs.
6. It's not Microsoft
5. Smaller proportion of overly lengthy dumb names with high-ASCII characters.
4. It's not Microsoft.
3. No annoying foghorn when the application starts (no, wait, wrong list)
2. Fill in the blank.
1. Lack of emoticons!

Top Ten Sign's Sa'ar Is A Crotchety Old Man.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Derek"]It bothers me that only a week or so ago, my wife thought it would be great to see an episode where every single non-main character was played by Jeffery Combs. All the background crewmen, all the villains, all the allies, etc. And now you have this idea.[/quoteost_uid0]
Well, I really really really loved him as Weyoun. I was glad to hear they were bringing him back for ENT, but so far I've been disappointed - Shran really has no personality to speak of, Combs' talent is kinda wasted, one feels. But he's just so well known for playing so many parts... I never look at the credits, and I'm not very good at recognizing faces, but when I was watching [iost_uid0]Tsunkatsi[/iost_uid0] (or whatever the name of the VOY ep was), I was waiting for it to end, just so I could check it was really him. And he was Brunt, and one of the ENT Ferengi... and the thing is, you can see why they want him in as many roles as they can.

The closest thing we'll see to an all-Combs episode was probably that DS9 ep where he played both Brunt and Weyoun... don't remember which...

Out of curiousity... have we ever seen Weyoun in the mirror universe? If so, I missed it, but I'd love to see it if there is a reference...[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 02-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Standback"]Well, I really really really loved him as Weyoun. I was glad to hear they were bringing him back for ENT, but so far I've been disappointed - Shran really has no personality to speak of, Combs' talent is kinda wasted, one feels.[/quoteost_uid0]
Well, whoever this "one" is, he's not me. I personally have loved Shran. I've even had to stop and consider who I like more between him and Weyoun (I'm sticking with Weyoun for now, but a few more Shran eps might push him over Weyoun).

[quoteost_uid0]But he's just so well known for playing so many parts... I never look at the credits, and I'm not very good at recognizing faces, but when I was watching [iost_uid0]Tsunkatsi[/iost_uid0] (or whatever the name of the VOY ep was), I was waiting for it to end, just so I could check it was really him. [/quoteost_uid0]
Combs's most distinctive feature is his voice in my opinion. Visually I have very little problem thinking of Weyoun, Brunt, and Shran as different people. It's audibly that I notice the similarity most.

[quoteost_uid0]The closest thing we'll see to an all-Combs episode was probably that DS9 ep where he played both Brunt and Weyoun... don't remember which...[/quoteost_uid0]
"The Dogs of War", second to last episode. Andy even made mention of this duality in his fiver.

[quoteost_uid0]Out of curiousity... have we ever seen Weyoun in the mirror universe? If so, I missed it, but I'd love to see it if there is a reference...[/quoteost_uid0]
No. The wormhole was never discovered in the MU, so the democratic, peaceful Dominion was never seen. You'll have to stick with Mirror-Brunt.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Give Shran some more lines, and I'll think about it. In the meantime, it's difficult for "infrequently-appearing tough-but-reasonable cabal leader" to compare with "regular guest starring complex-intriguing-slick-witty-lovable-hatable guy who's in the dead center of anything to do with the major story arc".

There have only been 3 Shran episodes so far, am I right? "Incident," "Shadows," and "Cease Fire." And they've been in the Delphic Expanse all of the 3rd season so far. I'd very much like to see Shran develop... I guess it might be a while, though...

Ooooh... Shran in the Delphic Expanse... would be [iost_uid0]cool.[/iost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]They did that Can't recall the name of the ep at the moment, but it was just a couple of weeks ago[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 01:49 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"Proving Ground." Awesome episode.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Transformed Man

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, well, then I have something to look forward to. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Transformed Man

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Top Ten Signs Sa'ar Is A Crotchety Old Man

10. Forces other people to write mock-derogatory lists about him, toeing the line between "funny" and "offensive"
9. Actually uses phrase "crotchety"
8. Growing senile, forgetting "Blue Screen of Death" joke
7. Blatantly repeats elements of top ten lists multiple times. Dares anybody to comment.
6. Goes by nickname describing somebody "mean, marked by bitterness and a power or will to cut or sting."
5. Growing senile, stealing items 7 and 1 from Scooter's list, then [iost_uid0]forgetting he's done it[/iost_uid0]
4. Refers to other forumgoers as "young whippersnappers"
3. Refuses to get himself a nice avatar like everybody else
2. Growing senile, occasionally forgetting present century and reverting to Latin
1. [iost_uid0]Must[/iost_uid0] be extremely old, and apparantly has spent all life in forums, judging by post count.

Next up:
Kes' Top Ten "To Do" Items Now That She's Evolved Into A Higher Plane Of Existence[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]1. Must be extremely old, and apparantly has spent all life in forums, judging by post count.[/quoteost_uid0]
Am I supposed to say something here? :suspicious:

[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Transformed Man

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, at least [iost_uid0]you've[/iost_uid0] got a youthful avatar pointing to the contrary.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]10. Forces other people to write mock-derogatory lists about him, toeing the line between "funny" and "offensive"[/quoteost_uid0]

And you toed it quite well. I'm impressed and amused.

[quoteost_uid0]4. Refers to other forumgoers as "young whippersnappers"[/quoteost_uid0]

That's because you *are* young whippernsappers, with one or two exceptions.

[quoteost_uid0]3. Refuses to get himself a nice avatar like everybody else
[/quoteost_uid0]

That's just bucking a trend.

[quoteost_uid0]2. Growing senile, occasionally forgetting present century and reverting to Latin[/quoteost_uid0]

Mock-Latin. If we didn't have a real Latin scholar among us, I might get away with it.

[quoteost_uid0]1. Must be extremely old, and apparantly has spent all life in forums, judging by post count.[/quoteost_uid0]

That's a result of having no life.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kes's Top Ten "To Do" Items Now That She's Evolved Into A Higher Plane Of Existence

10. Blow up Voyager some more, that was fun
9. Return that old message from Q, something about having a kid together or something
8. "Apologize" for Tuvix (tee hee)
7. Two words: Pringle Galaxy
6. Make "B'Elanna Bumps" all the rage in the Seventh Dimension
5. Finally finish that photo album with all the cute couple pictures of her and Neelix, then place it at the center of a supernova, then implode the resulting black hole, then stomp on it
4. Special gift for the galaxy: One more quadrant
3. Stop by that old general store in the Q Continuum and see if they have any Go Bananas Snapple
2. I wonder if the other Ocampans are O.K.? Oh, screw it

And Kes's Number One "To Do" Item Now That She's Evolved Into A Higher Plane Of Existence:

1. Ditch that apalling Crusher kid

Next:
Top Ten Hints a Star Trek Episode Ran Out Of Money During Filming[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Standback"]5. Growing senile, stealing items 7 and 1 from Scooter's list, then [iost_uid0]forgetting he's done it[/iost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
Sa'ar, you can steal from me any time. I believe in giving way to one's elders. Â [/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:20 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think you get brownie points just for using the word "snapple" in a list.

Edited because I'm dyslexic.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Sa'ar, you can steal from me any time. I believe in giving way to one's elders.[/quoteost_uid0]

You're awfully mouthy for the new guy. *snicker*

Well, if I can get away with it, I suppose you can too.

You've got moxy, kid. As soon as you figure out what moxy is, tell me. I'm dying to know.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]You've got moxy, kid. Â As soon as you figure out what moxy is, tell me. Â I'm dying to know.[/quoteost_uid0]
Um, I know what it is. It's a really revolting soda pop made in New England. I had it once. ONCE. Check out this link showing people drinking the beverege in question and hating it.

So if I have it, I don't want it...[/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Top Ten Signs of Episode Budget Overreach

10. Instead of DeForrest Kelly, there's a stand-in pulled off the street who everyone calls "Skeleton".
9. That nickname actually describes him quite well.
8. Writer's budget has been slashed - instead of a Graviton Inversion Funnel, it's only a nondescript "wormhole".
7. Instead of imaginative aliens, there's just a bunch of humans with funny foreheads - no, wait...
6. Starfleet unveils it's newest prototype ship, the USS Papermache.
5. There was no money left to pay Mayel Roddenberry, so everyone has to type and read screens a lot.
4. No CGI budget - the crew has to talk their way out of a sticky situation.
3. Avery Brooks phones in his performance, and everyone wonders why Sisko is so mellow.
2. After a breathtaking fight sequence in Act Three, the aliens admit that they had Voyager mixed up with another Starfleet ship lost in the Delta Quadrant, apologise, and leave. The rest of the episode consist of the crew toasting to their good fortune. (With cheap wine, of course.)

And the Number One sign that the episode budget ran out halfway into filming...

1. In order to cut costs for electricity, Gene Roddenberry's rapidly spinning corpse is converted into a makeshift electric generator.

Next List: Top 10 Things the Borg do until their next invasion

Gatac[/colorost_uid0]
- d02 Quotes
Old 02-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]10. Try to figure out how to assimilate species 8472
9. Play Poker
8. Build the first Borg Decahedron
7. Try to prefect Windows
6. Try to assimilate Shakespeare.
5. Try to reinvent the wheel
4. Play “telephone” using their nurointerfaces.
3. Train their nanoprobe circus
2. Exercise with Richard of Simmons new video “Assimilating to the Oldies
1. The same they do every night Pinky, try to assimilate the universe!

Next up, “Top ten ways to tell the Borg have assimilated humor.”[/colorost_uid0]