The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 08:08 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi
Default Penny Arcade disses Harlan Ellison

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php...005-09-26#2795

That Ellison guy has really mellowed over the years, hasn't he?
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

I found that immensly hillarious.

Well, at least I'm not having a hero-worship crisis or anything. I've always found "City on the Edge of Forever" immensly overrated.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Hmm, interesting.

It seems, though, that the remark by Ellison that Gabe described as being the opening salvo of their little exchage wasn't even directed at him, but at someone in the audience. Harlan's description appears here, partway down the page.

Edit: The thread I linked to above is continued from this one.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 09-30-2005, 10:03 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Ellison's story seems the more credible to me, and while I have no great love for the man, I'm inclined to take his side here. He's certainly conducted himself better since the incident -- he's not the one tacitly approving of his fans' online "retaliation" attempts.

Gabe and Tycho are very funny guys, but they haven't earned their fame the way Ellison has. They don't seem to appreciate how lucky they are that out of so many great webcomics, Penny Arcade became the big success story. When they condescend to someone like Harlan Ellison or Scott McCloud or, heck, even Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, I have trouble sympathizing with them.

They're just ordinary guys, a little older than me, who decided to make a website for much the same reasons I did. Now they're giving lectures at MIT, and hey, that's great. But they should have some respect for people who got to that level the hard way.

All that said... picturing Ellison's reaction to being called a Star Wars writer still has me in stitches.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction

Last edited by Zeke; 07-24-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:32 AM

What continues to amuse me is that so many people (in threads at other boards) were willing to condemn Ellison for being a jerk to "Gabe" while, as anyone who has a decent knowledge of the subject knows, had he had any interest whatsoever in teaching "Gabe" a lesson for being a punk (which is most certainly what "Gabe" was doing), Harlan would have cut him off at the knees before "Gabe" had any idea what was going on.

That he posted the nonsense he did on the Penny Arcade website/blog makes "Gabe" look more the fool than anything Harlan Ellison said to him/about him, either at the con or afterward. His later post (after Penny Arcade fans trolled not only Ellison Webderland but Harlan's wife, as well) only slightly ameliorated his foolishness.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Hmm, so there's more to the story, eh?

Still, Ellison looks the fool here to me. Here's why.

1) That thesis statement retort he gave. While elegant and, uh... lengthy, it's way too pretentious and overdrawn for me to take seriously. I think a five sentence paragraph probably could have done the trick there.

2) Neither Gabe, Tycho, or Harlan were trying to be intentionally mean in the scenario. Tycho was a bystander, Gabe was simply trying to make a taunting quip (not trying to engage in a real verbal smackdown), and Harlan was (allegedly) just joking around with a member of the audience. Did Harlan storm off stage? Maybe, maybe not. But I trust Gabe and Tycho enough where even if they did misunderstand his previous "insult", they didn't flat out lie. In the end, Harlan took offense, and G & T saw him as an ass. Since heresay over the past several decades or so seems to confirm that Mr. Ellison is indeed an ass, I say... what difference does it make anyway?

3) I didn't see Gabe as approving of the hacking attempts. He was surprised and awed by how loyal PA fans can be, but he was very clear about how misguided the attacks on his webmaster were. Yeah, he probably should've phrased it better. But he doesn't quite have the gift of word that Tycho has.

4) Uh... I never really liked Babylon 5. Too pretentious. Kinda like Mr. Ellison.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf
1) That thesis statement retort he gave. While elegant and, uh... lengthy, it's way too pretentious and overdrawn for me to take seriously. I think a five sentence paragraph probably could have done the trick there.
Brevity has never been Harlan's style. He's always been one to address a subject thoroughly.

Quote:
2) Neither Gabe, Tycho, or Harlan were trying to be intentionally mean in the scenario. Tycho was a bystander, Gabe was simply trying to make a taunting quip (not trying to engage in a real verbal smackdown), and Harlan was (allegedly) just joking around with a member of the audience. Did Harlan storm off stage? Maybe, maybe not. But I trust Gabe and Tycho enough where even if they did misunderstand his previous "insult", they didn't flat out lie. In the end, Harlan took offense, and G & T saw him as an ass. Since heresay over the past several decades or so seems to confirm that Mr. Ellison is indeed an ass, I say... what difference does it make anyway?
No, no one was being mean, not at the con, anyway. Gabe's post at Penny Arcade made a much bigger thing of it than it really was. As a result, however, a few of Penny Arcade's fans went way off-track, one going so far as to make an unkind remark about Harlan's wife. Poor form, that.

As for Harlan being an ass, he's made a career of it, and done rather well at it. What he does, though, before getting off on a rant, is make damned sure he knows what he's talking about, something "Gabe" seems not to have learned yet.

Quote:
3) I didn't see Gabe as approving of the hacking attempts. He was surprised and awed by how loyal PA fans can be, but he was very clear about how misguided the attacks on his webmaster were. Yeah, he probably should've phrased it better. But he doesn't quite have the gift of word that Tycho has.
Well, yes and no. There was the bit where he remarked that he was trying not to laugh about the trolling.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Shark, we get the message. You can stop putting Gabe's handle in quotes all the time. Unless you're going to start using quotes for everybody at this board, that is -- after all, we too have chosen to go by catchier names we made up. (Except Derek. He's, like, confident or something.)

IJD: I think it's safe to assume that Ellison's influence on Babylon 5 was minimal. JMS never gave anyone else real power over his creation. I figure he just liked having Ellison's name in the credits.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Unless you're going to start using quotes for everybody at this board, that is -- after all, we too have chosen to go by catchier names we made up.
That's not true. I didn't make this name up, I stole it fair and square.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
(Except Derek. He's, like, confident or something.)
Ahem, "Doesn't Everyone Really Eat Kellogg's?"
Old 10-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Quote:
I thought it stood for Deranged Ergonomics Require Extreme Knuckle-cracking.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Quote:
But not everybody does act normal. The whole business just confuses me.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

I don't eat Kellog's and I am most certainly not normal. ADHD'll do that to you.

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Well, if you were normal then I'm afraid we'd have had to ask you to leave. We just can't be doing with having that sort around here.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
whathistitleis

Send a message via MSN to whoiam

I think we're allowed one normal person, just for the sake of variety, but no more...

Vote Morphine - the party for Not Crushing Opium!

Yoda, to his ice-cream: The sauce is upon you, and soon, sprinkles must fall!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Staff

"Normal" is a setting on a washing machine.

Why be normal when you can be insane?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Okay, you people seem to be missing out on something. It's "Doesn't everyone act normal?" Not "Isn't everyone normal?". (Derek Ien?)

And Zeke, the questions are supposed to be existential and thought-provoking. Sort of like "Does a Vulcan bear spit in the woods?" with the opposite rhetorical answer.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Staff

Quote:
And Zeke, the questions are supposed to be existential and thought-provoking. Sort of like "Does a Vulcan bear spit in the woods?" with the opposite rhetorical answer.
"Who cares?" has a rhetorical opposite? *g*
Old 10-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:

Of course not. Spitting would be illogical. In any case, the Vulcan Science Directorate has declared that Vulcan bears which spit are impossible.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

Derek, where the Vulcan bear does its business is its business. (And I do hope you are referencing what I am referencing.)

Gatac
- d02 Quotes