The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM
The moron they built to make you an idiot

Default Star Trek: Picard Discussion (SPOILERS)

Since it premiered yesterday, I figured we could use a thread. If Zeke wants to sticky, so be it.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:46 PM

So here's my thoughts, separate from the main post because that's how I roll:

- The first scene shows the Enterprise-D in all its glory, in great CG. I may or may not have squee'd at it.
- I know Disney owns a lot of the tech, but couldn't they have at least tried to de-age Spiner a bit? He was really showing his age there, and it took me out of it.
- I am a sucker for dogs, and it was nice to see a friendly pit bull. I was genuinely wondering if it's Patrick Stewart's actual dog, I had heard he adopted one.
- The connections with Discovery were subtle, but appreciated. For example, the boyfriend who got offed, nice to see that Xaheans make it to the cusp of the 25th century; Queen Po would eat ice cream in approval.
- The interview was probably the best few minutes of television I have seen in a few years, and great commentary on contemporary media's inherent bias.
- Nice callback to Bruce Maddox. He was almost forgotten in Trek, basically getting one episode and a few mentions later on.
- Also, kudos for showing B-4.
- Seriously, why'd they kill Dahj? I was just starting to like her when she was blown up.
- I know it's the same actress, and the whole twin duality thing is central to the positronic brain creation, but geez, was it jarring to see two different takes.
- The Borg cube reclamation site is interesting, and I would like to see more.

Only real change to canon is that they don't mention Hobus at all, the star that was identified in the reboot movies as being destroyed. They sort of retconned it to be the Romulan star.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:42 PM
You just activated his Trek card

I won't be watching Picard, free or not. It has to stand in line behind B5, ENT, and I'm considering a project where I rewrite each episode of Voyager to be less stupid (no more Janeway hypocrisy, transfer screentime from Janeway and Seven to the other characters, no destroying shuttles unless it's absolutely essential, etc.)

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
I won't be watching Picard, free or not. It has to stand in line behind B5, ENT, and I'm considering a project where I rewrite each episode of Voyager to be less stupid (no more Janeway hypocrisy, transfer screentime from Janeway and Seven to the other characters, no destroying shuttles unless it's absolutely essential, etc.)
B5 is worthwhile.

ENT... for varying degree of worthwhile. S4 hard yes, S3 soft yes, S1 and S2 you can skip a few episodes.

And that last one will drive you insane. Also, please don't give Chakotay more screen time. Harry and Tom, yes.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:39 PM

In this project we don't need to worry about the ability of the actor to DO these scenes, it's just text. Do you not like Chakotay's general personality as established, Beltran's performance thereof, or just the stupid plotlines he was stuck in? There is a difference.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:21 PM

Picard uses assets from Discovery

Okay, I'm never watching the show. The creators Just Don't Care about continuity. It was easier to borrow assets from Discovery than make new ones, so they did. It didn't matter if the Discovery assets are over a hundred years old by this point, it was easier so they did it.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
Do you not like Chakotay's general personality as established, Beltran's performance thereof, or just the stupid plotlines he was stuck in? There is a difference.
The first and the third one. Beltran as an actor is pretty decent.

Tags
picard, spoilers, st picard