The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]but i have notice a sudden dearth in sa'ar-postings and i wondering.... [/quoteost_uid0]

*sniff* It's nice to be missed.

Right now I'm posting from "work". I have three days of very little to do until the prof gets back, so I'm pretending to read journal articles while checking email and posting on the boards.

There's also been a dearth of Sa'ar on ICQ. I miss my computer.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]AMAZING! how you people can get off topic every time [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Topic? Vas is dis "topic" you speak ov?

And what's with the "you people"? You're one of us now. Embrace the collective. Resistance is futile.[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 06-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Your donkey will be laminated. It's bliiiissssss *drooling*

(This is the same argument that Zeke used to talk me into getting Trillian, minus the donkey)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I may be one of you (or should I say us?) but I'm not the one changing the topic. [/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 06-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think getting back on track is impossible. It seems the train not only jump the track, but fell off the bridge and into the canyon below too.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Where is your computer, that you are 400km distant at UBC? I had (perhaps erroneously) had the impression that you were in the vicinity of Vancouver.[/quoteost_uid0]

Kelowna, BC.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah, okay, I remember now. You [iost_uid0]had[/iost_uid0] mentioned that before, and I just suffered a brain-fade. It happens.

*notes Sa'ar's current post count*
heh heh heh[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Ah, okay, I remember now. You had mentioned that before, and I just suffered a brain-fade. It happens.

[/quoteost_uid0]

And where exactly are you? You seem to have at least a passing knowledge of Western Canadian geography (mostly flat, with some mountains on the end).

[quoteost_uid0]*notes Sa'ar's current post count*
heh heh heh[/quoteost_uid0]

And with this post I'm now the Neighbour of the Beast.

When I had 333 posts, I was the Number of the Critter.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-04-2003, 04:35 AM

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Ah, okay, I remember now. You had mentioned that before, and I just suffered a brain-fade. It happens.

[/quoteost_uid0]

And where exactly are you? You seem to have at least a passing knowledge of Western Canadian geography (mostly flat, with some mountains on the end).[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm about 1 mile south of San Francisco, slightly more than a stone's throw from the Bay.

I'm not familiar with Western Canada, exactly -- the closest I ever got was a couple of miles away from Saturna Island in the San Juans -- but I'm a bit of nut about knowing where things fit. Anytime I read or hear about a person, place, historical reference or literary allusion with which I'm not familiar, I have this compulsion to look it up, so that I know where it belongs.

Fairly harmless, as obsessions go. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I'm not familiar with Western Canada, exactly -- the closest I ever got was a couple of miles away from Saturna Island in the San Juans -- but I'm a bit of nut about knowing where things fit. Anytime I read or hear about a person, place, historical reference or literary allusion with which I'm not familiar, I have this compulsion to look it up, so that I know where it belongs.[/quoteost_uid0]
HA! The closest *I* ever got was London Beat ya!

Alright maybe it's not intirely a good thing, since I've only been out of Europe once [/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-04-2003, 07:26 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hah - I've never even left the UK. In fact I've only ever been to two fo it's four regions (though admittedly one is the largest and the other the most important).[/colorost_uid0]

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]What is this, a competition to see who's been farthest away from me?

Nan loses.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Guest"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm about 1 mile south of San Francisco, slightly more than a stone's throw from the Bay.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]How do you deal with the earthquakes. I don't think I could take it.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"]What is this, a competition to see who's been farthest away from me?

Nan loses.[/quoteost_uid0]
Yahoo! That means I win

But if it's about who's been [iost_uid0]farthest[/iost_uid0] away, then I've also been in Turkey. (The one time out of Europe.)
This seems kind of irrelevalent, though, since I already won [/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Yahoo! That means I win [/quoteost_uid0]

I dunno, there's at least one other Dutch person on the board, so you'll have to sort out amongst yourselves who's farther away...bearing in mind that the shortest distance may go across the Pacific and not the Atlantic

*as Sa'ar's knowledge of geography and ability to reckon distances go out the window*

[quoteost_uid0]But if it's about who's been farthest away, [/quoteost_uid0]

No, that was a strange typo on my part.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]::wonders whether Israeli is farther than Dutch. Counts on fingers for several moments, then wonders what precisely that's meant to accomplish.::[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 06-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]wonders whether Israeli is farther than Dutch. [/quoteost_uid0]

Next time I'm near a globe I'll check and settle this once and for all.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So what's it about now? Who's farthest away at this moment, or is it about the closest place we've been?
If it's the first, there's a big chance I beat all other dutch people in this forum, because I'm in the far east of the Netherlands
I do think Israeli is farther away, though

[quoteost_uid0]bearing in mind that the shortest distance may go across the Pacific and not the Atlantic[/quoteost_uid0]
:lol: *laughs at Sa'ar*
Hm, sorry.

Across the Atlantic is shortest. It's only an ocean, and if you go across the Pacific, which is larger anyway, you also have to cross Azia. (You know, the [iost_uid0]big[/iost_uid0] continent east of Europe.)[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Across the Atlantic is shortest. It's only an ocean, and if you go across the Pacific, which is larger anyway, you also have to cross Azia. [/quoteost_uid0]

The Atlantic and all of North America. As I type this, I'm a stone's throw away from what is technically the West Coast of Canada (ignoring that fact that there's a bloody great island between me and the open sea).

Either way, Standback is farther away because Vancouver and Israel are at different latitudes, while the Netherlands are about level with me.

The things I worry about...[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-05-2003, 06:35 PM

[quoteost_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Guest"]I'm about 1 mile south of San Francisco, slightly more than a stone's throw from the Bay.[/quoteost_uid0]
How do you deal with the earthquakes. I don't think I could take it.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Bit of a misunderstanding about earthquakes, really. They happen all the time, even where you are. Most of them just aren't big enough to notice.

As an example, for the week ending May 29, there were 91 earthquakes in the Bay Area. I actually noticed exactly one (a little tremor that had me wondering "Was that ...?" punctuated by just enough of a bump to answer "Yes, it was!"

They're also a fairly local phenomenon. The one that I felt was a magnitude 3.4, but for the same week, there were two slightly larger ones (a 3.8 and a 4.3) in the area that I didn't notice at all because they were centered 30-40 miles away.

Anything big enough to do more than knock things off shelves or pictures off walls really doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's usually somewhere else (again, effects diminish greatly over distance). Most of the time, if you notice it at all, it's about on par with a tame carnival ride that lasts 2 or 3 seconds. Sorta fun, really, and you don't even have to get up off the couch. [/colorost_uid0]