The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 01-01-2004, 06:09 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Here it is, at last: the redesigned Top 10 Lists section, complete with subsite FAQ. You can now browse the lists by number, series, theme, or author. (But still no colour code for T10... I really should get around to that.) By the way, did you know that there are now exactly as many Top 10 lists here as there are [iost_uid0]This Just In[/iost_uid0] articles? Now you do.

Today's other news is the long-awaited next update of the Jokes and References page. That's right, I finally got asked another question! And it's not from one of the staff this time! It's about the Aibo, actually, and I tell the whole story of that joke in my answer, so if you've ever wondered what I was drinking in "Two Days and Two Nights," have a read.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 01-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Very cool! [/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Very cool to see the Top10 redesign, Zeke. I especially like having the T10s grouped by various criteria. Unfortunately, clicking on series pointed out a problem that needs to be rectified. Now all I need is an idea....

By the way, on the FAQ, it says:
[quoteost_uid0]You can contact him at @sci-fivers.com.ar.[/quoteost_uid0]
I assume that should be zeke@sci-fivers.com.ar.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]A very nice layout, And from the "Jokes and References"...

[quoteost_uid0]Why? Who knows? Sometimes I think I write best when I'm thinking strangely: "Two Nights" and Voyager's "Natural Law" both happened that way, and I'm prouder of them than of a lot of fivers I've written "sober." [/quoteost_uid0]

Well that explains "Natural Law"! I still remember when I read it a year and a half ago... The amount of laughter actually earned me a headache...

Zeke, don`t drink and drive, um, write... there will be roadkill! [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 01-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Cool new pages!

Good to see the background for the Aibo gags -- the whole business in [iost_uid0]2D2N[/iost_uid0] was one of the funniest things I've read here, and that's saying something. Whatever strange place stuff like that comes from, I approve of it -- inspired silliness is a [iost_uid0]good[/iost_uid0] thing.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'd just like to point out that I asked Kira about the Aibo months ago and she refused to tell me. She told me to wait until the next Jokes and References update.

Thank you. That is all.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-02-2004, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm sorry. I don't remember that, but I have no doubt whatsoever that the situation is my fault.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:59 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The t10 subsite faq link on "Brannon Braga" points to a subspatial disturbance. Â Please recalibrate the gravitons.

OG.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-03-2004, 04:23 AM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Fixed. Thanks for the tipoff. I've also fixed the error Derek found, which I actually noticed at the time -- I corrected my local copy but forgot to re-upload it.

Speaking of things you noticed, Derek, you're right about that conspicuously absent series. It surprised me too; I actually thought about listing Kim-with-Odo's-Powers as a DS9 list too, but decided that would be a stretch. Any efforts on your part to fill the gap will of course be welcome.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ we're fiving fanfic now?

(Yes, I know about What You Came Back Too. Never let the facts get in the way of a joke.)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-03-2004, 05:26 AM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0][January 1-2 update]

Well, this was an interesting update. I've been trying to decide what to say at the start of the new year, and I've gone back and forth between saying a lot and saying a little. For a while I was even going to write a whole article. I had a great title, too. "2004: A Clarke Analogy."

Ultimately, I've decided to keep it brief. (This after taking so long to decide I missed yesterday's update....) What I basically wanted to explain is that 2003 wasn't 5MV's best year in a number of ways. There were highlights, to be sure, but we were plagued with server problems, and our overall output wasn't as high as in previous years. I know a lot of the blame for the latter is mine, and I'm sorry about that. It's been a difficult year for me personally, and while the problems haven't gone away, I hope I'm starting to deal with them better.

On the other hand, I think the daily-updates experiment has been a major success. It's kept things interesting for you readers and kept me from vanishing for long periods again. So that will most certainly continue into the new year. There are a few resolutions I could make, and maybe should: things like getting the updates out earlier in the day, keeping current with Enterprise, catching up on other series, answering my mail faster... but I don't really think it would make much difference. I already [iost_uid0]know[/iost_uid0] I should be doing those things, and I do try to do them, though I may not always succeed.

So basically this year I'm going to do my best to build on the success of the last few months. I'll keep the new material coming as steadily as I can, and I'll let you know why when I can't. We on staff have got several major events in planning, too. So here's to 2004 being -- as Standback would put it -- a year of many fivers.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Administrator

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]^ we're fiving fanfic now?

(Yes, I know about What You Came Back Too. Â Never let the facts get in the way of a joke.)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Either way, I don't get it.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-03-2004, 05:29 AM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Neither do I, come to think of it. Perhaps it's a sign I should go to bed.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think Sa'ar was requesting that we all pretend to forget about the WYCBT fivers for a moment so we could enjoy his amusing reaction of astonishment at the idea that you'd be fiving fan-fic.

Hope this year is better than the last, Zeke. [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]As always, Zeke, thanks for the update. And speaking as one who's been here [iost_uid0]less[/iost_uid0] then a year, I have to say that 5MV is far from shabby. There's room for improvement, obviously; I've yet to see a site where there isn't. But we all know how busy you and Kira are, we have at least a fair idea of how real life can be, and as much as we joke about it, refraining from writing net-humor for a few weeks isn't something that needs much of an excuse. I hope you have yourself a great year, in RL first and on 5MV second.

[quoteost_uid0]So here's to 2004 being -- as Standback would put it -- a year of many fivers.[/quoteost_uid0]

Brilliant. Two days after I change my sig. Talk about timing.

In any case though, I second the motion. [/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 01-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]What I basically wanted to explain is that 2003 wasn't 5MV's best year in a number of ways. There were highlights, to be sure, but we were plagued with server problems, and our overall output wasn't as high as in previous years.[/quoteost_uid0]

Don`t worry, Zeke. 5MV as it is now is a wonderful, fantastic site. It`s by far and without a doubt my favourite website, And I`m sure I`m not the only one...

To quote Chakotay from "Human Error":

"It doesn`t have to be perfect, Zeke."

(well, not the exact quote, [iost_uid0]obviously[/iost_uid0] ) [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Hello, John

Send a message via Yahoo to FatMatDuhRat

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Zeke"]...I have no doubt whatsoever that the situation is my fault.[/quoteost_uid0]
"Yo! Quit dissing yourself, [bost_uid0]Zeke[/bost_uid0]!" shouted fan [bost_uid0]FatMat426.[/bost_uid0]
"Every 5er so far has been fabulous. If you don't see that,
you just suck."
 :lol:
It feels weird to paraphrase oneself after you've already
spoofed on me Mr. Z, but I wanted to say that the high-
light from 2003 on this website for me was the first ep
of [bost_uid0]Sleapers[/bost_uid0] including this specific quote:

[bost_uid0]IJD:[/bost_uid0] What the--? You're a cop?
[bost_uid0]Purnell:[/bost_uid0] Plainclothes. The dog is my partner.
([bost_uid0]Aki[/bost_uid0] grins toothily.)

You have [bost_uid0][iost_uid0]NO[/iost_uid0][/bost_uid0] idea how hard I was laughing after I read that![/colorost_uid0]
Do you think neural clones go to heaven? --John Crichton, Incubator (EP#3-11)
Old 01-19-2004, 04:12 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I have a new years resolution for the site. How about a goal of finishing up all the voyager episodes [/colorost_uid0]