The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Not to distract anyone from the tension and suspense of this moment, but... "smurfing"?
Check out the Jargon File for all your interent definitions: http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/smurf.html (definition 2)
Old 03-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Wow!

$ 3,068,820.00 !

That's a serious chunk of cash! (About 9% of the way there!)

This campaign might actually work! I sure hope it does!

Thankfully, most modern networks stop smurfing nowadays.

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:38 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Hmm. Maybe if I get msyelf cancelled, someone here will start a fan campaign to save me, and then I can get three million dollars! Yes!

Damn, sometimes I just outdo myself. It's not easy being a genius, you know.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 03-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Long fellow

How much would everyone be willing to pay to Save PointyHairedJedi? (goto www.savePHJ.com and www.PointyHairedUnited.com)(Not really).

I have... uh, $0.06 USD, five bucks Canadian, and a bunch of orthodontal rubber bands I'd be willing to throw into the pot.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to richardson

:shock:

Wow... in less than 2 days, 3 million was raised. People really don't like reality tv! It's the turn of the tide!

Evil Emperor of the Black Isles.......

Yodck: The perfect Anti-Sith butt-whooping, going medival Jedi Master! (Complete with nerve pinches, and strange vulcan sayings spoken in yoda tounge.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllianceCommand/
The site of strange things.

I reject your reality and subsititute my own!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

*waves a flag with the "Survivor" symbol slashed out*

Woo!

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 03-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Long fellow

Zaphire just posted his very cool, if hopelessly sentimental Trailer at TrekUnited. I recommend that you all go see it.

$3.1 Million coming up fast!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:20 PM

Now I suspect that enterprise will be restored. No way paramount officals can ignore 3 million raised in the sake of saving one show.

Somebody had a big roll of big ones lying around.

Yodck: The perfect Anti-Sith butt-whooping, going medival Jedi Master! (Complete with nerve pinches, and strange vulcan sayings spoken in yoda tounge.)

Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 PM
...and not cowardly

yeah and Spike TV is definitely interested in picking it up. Plus Tim is in talk with Paramount now.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardson
Now I suspect that enterprise will be restored. No way paramount officals can ignore 3 million raised in the sake of saving one show.
Of course they can. First off, it isn't fans as a whole -- 99% of that money was contributed by one relatively small group of people. Two, the money doesn't do Paramount or UPN any good. It doesn't boost their ratings, or get them more advertising dollars. They can't be unaware of the cult following that Enterprise -- or any Trek series, for that matter -- has. The people donating money are the ones who were already watching the show, and that apparently wasn't enough. Third, UPN is trying to shift its demographic to target young women; that doesn't give them a lot of incentive to keep Enterprise on the air if it's not performing well. The fan campaign in favor of UPN's Veronica Mars has, I think, a way better shot, because it fits with UPN's target audience. Of course, it helps that VM has almost unanimous critical aclaim and is easily the best show currently on television... it's just the best show that not enough people are watching.

As I've said before -- the best shot Enterprise has is getting off UPN and onto a network like SciFi or Spike whose target demographic is, well, more like a stereotypic Trekkie than a 19 year old girl.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardson
Of course they can. First off, it isn't fans as a whole -- 99% of that money was contributed by one relatively small group of people. Two, the money doesn't do Paramount or UPN any good. It doesn't boost their ratings, or get them more advertising dollars. They can't be unaware of the cult following that Enterprise -- or any Trek series, for that matter -- has. The people donating money are the ones who were already watching the show, and that apparently wasn't enough. Third, UPN is trying to shift its demographic to target young women; that doesn't give them a lot of incentive to keep Enterprise on the air if it's not performing well. The fan campaign in favor of UPN's Veronica Mars has, I think, a way better shot, because it fits with UPN's target audience. Of course, it helps that VM has almost unanimous critical aclaim and is easily the best show currently on television... it's just the best show that not enough people are watching.

As I've said before -- the best shot Enterprise has is getting off UPN and onto a network like SciFi or Spike whose target demographic is, well, more like a stereotypic Trekkie than a 19 year old girl.
Three, it has been tried before by fans, and it rarely does any good. Even fan-made efforts don't succeed, even with the help of writers - the companies don't want to release their grip on their preshisss copyrights - even ones they're not using.......
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:16 PM

Well, I think people are beginning to notice, and I have a feeling people would rather watch bad trek than even worse reality tv. at least the ones who's brain hasn't already been rotted out.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Not many of them left :wink:
Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Maybe everyone should try...

Star Trek: The Theatrical Production

See the limelight reflecting off of Picard's head!

See the fantastic melodrama!

Hear the stereo sound!

Feel the sexual tension!
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 03-06-2005, 04:57 PM

LOL! Can I be in it? "I will not violate the Prime Directive! Send down an away team to investigate." :lol:
Old 04-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Long fellow

Two bloody good articles today:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/150405_01.shtml

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/604/604625p1.html

The latter is a stub until next week, due to sad tech problems, but it still appears to be good news. We're authentic!

That's all for tonight. I'll let ya'll read those yourselves and avoid spinning them myself. Too lazy for the whole propaganda thing tonight. Won't be able to check in on the "Bound" thread until Monday because my STUPID FUSE BLEW AND I LOST THE TAPE! Anyhow, almost a perfect day.

Finally saw the first episode of Atlantis. Finally got the joke in 'Moebius II.' He he. Gateship-1.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:24 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

This is very interesting, and it's exactly the kind of thing TU needed to do to have any chance at all. I remain optimistic -- guardedly. There are a hundred things that will still make this difficult. But God knows I hope TU succeeds, and I think we as Trek fans should be behind them 100%. Gene would be proud.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-16-2005, 06:41 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

It's interesting to be sure, but I still can't say I rate TU's chances at actually getting ENT back on the air. I am impressed though by the fact that this much has been achieved, which if nothing else shows Paramount that the fanbase is just as dedicated now as it has ever been. Like I said, I don't think they'll save ENT, but it might make Paramount think twice about cancelling series VI (which I don't doubt there will be, even if we have to wait a few years) prematurely.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 04-17-2005, 06:13 AM
Long fellow

For those of you who still care about the TrekUnited effort, we the savies have just heard this from Almighty Tim:

Quote:
*Major Announcement Tomorrow at 7:00 EST, Chat Room and Trekunited and SE

We have a major announcement tomorrow at 7 est about our campaign. Please tell our members to be here.. In case the server crashes that is hosting the forums, we will also have the full stories up at Trek United as well as Save Enterprise Main page.
We will not announce anything until this time..
Thanks
Tim

--------------------
I would rather TRY and fail, then succeed at doing nothing! --Tim Brazeal
http://www.trekfansunited.com/forum/...showtopic=3681

There is a lot of speculation as to whether this is THE announcement, whether it's good or bad, or whether Tim is not explaining just because it's not as big as it looks. However it plays out, we'll find out tomorrow. Immediately after the announcement, Al Vinci, apparent producer-supporter of the cause, will be in the TU Live Chat room.

The letters on the news ticker are in bigger, brighter red than they were for the $3 Million announcement, so this could be REALLY big. I hope to see that server crash with traffic, so come on out!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

It's dead, Jim.

I don't know if it's just me, but it always seemed to have an air of doom about it, right from the beginning (much like MG Rover). Mainly because I couldn't ever see Paramount taking the deal rather than because of any lack of effort on TU's part.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants