The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 06-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's 3 in the morning right now, so I'm just going to let Zeke explain the start of this year's big birthday bash.

------

Greetings to all readers and visitors of Five-Minute Voyager. Â This is Zeke welcoming you to Alternate Universes Week, our celebration of 5MV's third birthday.

As our more longstanding readers will remember, I don't actually know what day I created the site. Â I do know it was in June of 2000, and I've been going on the assumption that June 15 is about the right date. Â That means we're three years old as of today, and it also means -- as Ki is sure to point out -- that this is the first site birthday celebration to appear on time. Â It's also the first one she's officially run as Site Manager. Â Coincidence?

On 5MV's first birthday, I got wordy for the occasion. Â On the second, I decided not to make a big deal that way, and instead just throw out tons of new content. Â I think I'm going to compromise this year: I'll say a few words, but keep it briefer this time, and I'll save it for the end of the party. Â Thus, without further ado, here's what we've got for you on the first day of our Year 3 bash!
    [*]As you'll have guessed from the name, the theme of the week is AUs. Â What does that have to do with 3? Â Beats me. Â And what could we begin with but the one that started it all: "Mirror, Mirror". Â This Classic Trek fiver comes to you via our expert on the subject, IJD GAF.[*]Next we have Kira's latest Next Gen fiver (and my personal favourite AU episode), "Parallels."[*]Our brand new staff member, Derek Dean, has done the first [iost_uid0]Sliders[/iost_uid0] episode to be covered here: "Prince of Wails."[*]Speaking of [iost_uid0]Sliders[/iost_uid0], that's what we chose as our springboard for this year's staff feature (see also Paneldemonium). Â Join me, Kira, IJD, Marc, and Derek in Part 1 of a seven-part series we call "Sleapers." Â (There's no guess-the-author contest this time around, so I can tell you Part 1 is by me.)[*]Speaking of things by me, rounding out today's update is a new Top 10 list: The Top 10 Ways [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] is Different in the Mirror Universe.[/list]
    ------

There will be more material tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0]. Â But for now, I'm going to bed. Â Enjoy.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Third eye blind

Send a message via MSN to Andy Taylor

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Woo! This is like mega-update month or something!

Parallels got fived! That's one of my fave TNG eps ever, I'm so happy! I particularly liked:

[bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] I would like you to become Alexander's soh-chim.
[bost_uid0]Troi:[/bost_uid0] His soh-chim?
[bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] It's Klingon for "last-resort babysitter."

[bost_uid0]Crusher:[/bost_uid0] Worf, I remember you telling me that you lost the bat'telh tournament. You even got a concussion.
[bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] I won that tournament and I can prove it. Here, read this trophy.
[bost_uid0]Crusher:[/bost_uid0] "This trophy is hereby awarded to Worf for his shameful loss, terrible bat'telh skills, and really bad goatee. Ha ha, Worf."
[bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] That's a lie! My goatee looks great!

[bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] My personal log will prove that I'm not imagining things.
[iost_uid0]Worf's Personal Log:[/iost_uid0] No it won't.
[bost_uid0]Worf:[/bost_uid0] But --
[iost_uid0]Log:[/iost_uid0] You suck. Get over it.

Mirror, Mirror was also really funny:

[bost_uid0]Mirror Sulu:[/bost_uid0] Hey babe, I'm a minority... you're a minority.... You know what that makes us?
[bost_uid0]Uhura:[/bost_uid0] Secondary characters.

And my fave:

[bost_uid0]Mirror Chekov:[/bost_uid0] Gotcha!
[bost_uid0]Kirk:[/bost_uid0] Oh no, an evil Tuvok episode!
[bost_uid0]Mirror Chekov:[/bost_uid0] Jeez, you'd think you'd have learned my name by now.
[bost_uid0]Kirk:[/bost_uid0] Wait a sec....
(SLAP!)
[bost_uid0]Mirror Chekov:[/bost_uid0] Waaaaah!
[bost_uid0]Kirk:[/bost_uid0] Ohhh yeah.... You're the guy we hurt a lot!
[bost_uid0]Mirror Guard:[/bost_uid0] Shall I take him to the booth?
[bost_uid0]Kirk:[/bost_uid0] Yes, maximum setting.

I've only ever watched like 2 and a half episodes of Sliders before, but still laughed at 'Prince of Wails,' and 'Sleapers' looks like a lot of fun. Great job everyone!

[bost_uid0]Happy 3rd Birthday![/bost_uid0] [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, it's somewhat later than 3 AM (I was at work then, but it's better now) and I think I've detected evidence of an alternate universe. Too early to be certain -- there's fiver-reading to be done. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]A note on "Sleapers":

There may be no "official" contest this time, but we'll have a couple of unofficial ones here in the forums. The feature [iost_uid0]DOES[/iost_uid0] have some secrets (and not-so-secrets) which have been hidden into it.

So if you notice something suspicious... Don't blurt it out here!

more details to come [/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 06-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]All of them were good (how can you pack all those cross-references that were in the Sliders one into a single fiver? :O), but this was my very favorite part:

[quoteost_uid0]Other Zeke: Just thought I'd tell you the secrets to interdimensional travel.

Zeke: Doesn't that create a causation paradox?

Other Zeke: Why do you think I'm doing it? Here's the blueprint.

(The other Zeke hands Zeke a picture of a toaster with an apron in one slot and a copy of Ulysses in the other.)[/quoteost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-15-2003, 07:29 PM

[quoteost_uid0="NAHTMMM"][color=#000000ost_uid0]All of them were good (how can you pack all those cross-references that were in the Sliders one into a single fiver?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Because it's Derek, that's how (although I think he may be going for a new record.)

IJD: (but [iost_uid0]cumberbund?[/iost_uid0])
Kira: and
Zeke: Hoo! :lol:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The "cumberbund" thing is my bad. One, I misspelled it and two, the line at the beginning of the fiver was a blurb we had been going to use and I put it in the fiver so I wouldn't lose it. Not having most of my wits about me while updating, I forgot to remove it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-15-2003, 08:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I didn't realise the 5 Minute Site was only 3 years old to be honest. I'd always imagined it was one of those things that had been around forever. Like in 1991, when most internet activity involved students posting to usenet and nothing else, I'd have guessed Zeke was already sitting there saying 'soon' and suchlike.

Oh well, happy birthdayeee (The extra e's are for luck   )[/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!
Old 06-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]WHOO!

A few of my faves:

Mirror Spock: Tell me everything you know about Kirk's plans.
(Spock mindmelds with McCoy)
Mirror Spock: Remember, damnit!

Mirror Spock: Nice to see you alive. Nice to see Chekov in agony.
Mirror Chekov: (from the booth) AIIIEEE!
Kirk: Yes, I rather like the status quo myself.
Mirror Spock: You know the stage is being set for us to battle for command.
Kirk: Yeah, we all know what happened in "Amok Time"....
Mirror Spock: In this universe's version I kicked your butt, had T'Pring deliver the final blow, only to have you scream like a schoolgirl for mercy. What about your version?
Kirk: I... er... did the same to you.

Worf: My personal log will prove that I'm not imagining things.
Worf's Personal Log: No it won't.
Worf: But --
Log: You suck. Get over it.

Data: The Bajorans broke the universes. There are Enterprises everywhere.
Riker: I'll fix this. (ahem) Riker to all other Enterprise ships: we're going to try and send you all back to your realities, because I like my Riker-is-captain universe just the way it is. Would the real Enterprise please stand up?

I'm a big Sliders fan too - but I have to rewatch the episode again before I read the fiver to refresh my memory. Sleepers is hilarious so far

[bost_uid0]HAPPY BIRTHDAY 5MV![/bost_uid0] ....wow, everyone's haveing a birthday this month - crazy.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-15-2003, 09:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to entei

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, something just dawned on me. Am I the only one who's noticed that this is the first day of an Alternate Universe Week, yet there isn't a trace of Zuke. I would have expected some sort of infiltration by him. *sigh* I miss his diabolical schemes these days. [/colorost_uid0]

I have a signature under construction... but you know what contractors are like!
Old 06-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Poor Zuke. I hope he didn't get captured or anything.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 06-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Cursory

Send a message via MSN to Draknek

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Happy Birthday, 5MV!

My favourite lines were probably from the Sleapers:

[quoteost_uid0][bost_uid0]IJD:[/bost_uid0] It sure is [iost_uid0]chilly[/iost_uid0] out here, isn't it?

(Marc and IJD give each other high fives. Zeke grumpily turns back to Purnell.)[/quoteost_uid0][quoteost_uid0][bost_uid0]Purnell:[/bost_uid0] You guys think you're pretty clever, don't you?
[bost_uid0]Kira:[/bost_uid0] [iost_uid0]God[/iost_uid0], yes.[/quoteost_uid0][/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-16-2003, 12:11 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]---> Kira: I figured it was something like that. Only teasing.

---> Entei: There's something else I'm surprised you haven't noticed, yet.

Zuke? You can never tell. He's anything but predictable.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Great fivers, Kira and IJD.

My favorite parts of both were at the very end. Kira's because I actually [iost_uid0]got[/iost_uid0] the Voyager reference. And IJD's for the inter-fiver reference. (For those who missed it, re-read IJD's fiver of "Trials and Tribble-ations".)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="entei"]I didn't realise the 5 Minute Site was only 3 years old to be honest. I'd always imagined it was one of those things that had been around forever. Like in 1991, when most internet activity involved students posting to usenet and nothing else, I'd have guessed Zeke was already sitting there saying 'soon' and suchlike.[/quoteost_uid0]
The Zeke Has Always Been Here.

:LOL:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-16-2003, 03:44 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Happy Birthday 5MV!

Heh heh, so many entertainign Sluggy references.

The Dimension of Pain, K'Z'K... and the amusing Buffy Shrimpfreeworld reference. [/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Woops, didn't say the following:

1) I don't think I read 5M Parallels before, so compliments now; a great fiver to a great episode.

2) Thanks for the comments about MM![/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!