The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 06-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

You're picking a very few stories out of a much wider context. The Daleks and Davros, in the case of the Fourth Doctor, they appear twice in seven years, covering a total of ten weeks, or two and a half months (give or take). In seven years. The same can be applied to the others.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Oh, of course - But it does seem to kinda fit. I mean, yes the Cybermen were seen with the 1st Doctor, but they really made an inpact in the 2nd Doctor's time The tomb/The invasion. The Master, was totally the 3rd Doctor's main baddie. For the fouth doctor, I would have said that the Sontarans and Davros were the main big bad's, both of them were shown twice and they had the most effect, were the most well know. Still, it wasn't my theory, but I think it fits rather well. I suppose RTD didn't really plan it that way, but - to me - it seems like he's picked major things from each of the Doctor's times. I can't quite think what he could pick from the 5th Doctor though.. The Master again? The Rani was the 6th and 7th? I suppose there was the Sea Devils...
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 06-15-2008, 04:25 PM

The reason the Master didn't continue was purely because Delgado died. In any case, you're trying to work them up as though they were deliberately set pieces in the mould of the new series - which they weren't. The Fourth actually only faced the Sontarans twice in 7 years as well - for a combined 90 mins, half of which is generally considered the most awful waste of time put together in the history of the programme.

If anything, what characterised Tom's tenure were the gothic horrors of the Hinchcliffe/Holmes production team, and later the Key to Time season.

And if that's what RTD is doing, it's a rather silly plan, I must say. In any case, he's leaving in time for series five - thank Kroll...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium View Post
The reason the Master didn't continue was purely because Delgado died. In any case, you're trying to work them up as though they were deliberately set pieces in the mould of the new series - which they weren't. The Fourth actually only faced the Sontarans twice in 7 years as well - for a combined 90 mins, half of which is generally considered the most awful waste of time put together in the history of the programme.

If anything, what characterised Tom's tenure were the gothic horrors of the Hinchcliffe/Holmes production team, and later the Key to Time season.

And if that's what RTD is doing, it's a rather silly plan, I must say. In any case, he's leaving in time for series five - thank Kroll...
Like I said, not my theory! It's on other websites. And yeah, i know the 4th only faced the Sontarans twice, but one of them had them almost conquering his homeworld! But you're missing the point with the characterization stuff. I don't think they were saying he was using the most defining things from each series - if he was, then I would have expected series one and two to be in black and white. And I mean, K9 and Sarah was brought back in series two. The Macra in series three. Clearly he's not following things exactly. But - possibly - he decided beforehand, the major baddies from each of the Doctors eras, to use in each series. I mean it does kinda work out, right? The Daleks were the most shown in the first Doctors time? The Cybermen, were shown twice in the second Doctors time - one being a 6 parter and having some iconic scenes in it, mainly Cybermen marching down London streets (remind you of any series two episodes?)! I can't think of another second Doctor Baddie shown more than once. The third Doctor's baddie was the Master though and though. (And I hear there was a story that Delgado only wanted his Master to be in it one more time, and to be killed off, maybe saving the Doctor?) And as for the 4th Doctor I can't think of any other baddies in it more than once except the Sontarans and Davros! Yeah there was the Key to time and the black guardian stuff, but it's not that well known. Anyway, RTD did say, he always planned to have the Daleks first, Cybermen second, the Master third, and others after that. Maybe it is all coincidence, but, it all fits well. And I don't think it's totally awful.. So he might have sat down and listed from each series which major baddies to bring back? At least he had a plan! Saying that though, I have thought of a 5th Doctor baddie! The black guardian!
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Midnight was actually somewhat refreshing, I must say. Clearly he set out to write something different, and certainly managed it; it's also nice as a reminder once in a while that the Doctor isn't infallible and sometimes doesn't know what the hell is going on as much as the next person. Okay, if I were being cruel, I might say that parts were sort of Lost-ish, and the noble self sacrifice was a little abrupt (clearly it was supposed to be of guilt, but even so), but as a story it was fairly well constructed and I quite remarkably didn't want to throw anything at the screen even once.

It's nice to know that Russell T is capable of writing things that don't seem quite so... Russell T.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Hobbesian

Bloody, totally, knee slapping Fantastic!
Every minute of it was great. I loved how they showed all the bad things that would come if the Doctor wasn't there. And the name dropping? Sarah Jane, Torchwood, flipping everyone was almost in this.
I'm a little confused what this all meant, though. Rose being back? I'm guessing that it was because of the 'Big bad thing' i.e the darkness/the stars going. The stuff that happened in this episode wasn't part of a master plan, just some little 'con artists' type people (and bugs) right? So, did all the events in the other universe happen, and then time finally reached the point where we are in the series, and pass it, showing the stars going out, before that timeline was removed? Meaning, we're slightly behind and should be coming up to the darkness stuff?
I'm intrested to learn where all the bloody Daleks will have come from this time. There was only one left last series. But flipping amazing looking trailer, I must say!
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 06-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Hobbesian

I can't believe how excited I am. I may very well explode. Thankfully I have the release of Smash Brothers on friday to help calm me..

****SPOILER!****

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/ep...d=s4_12_trl_03

It's GOOD!
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM

So... Voyage of the Damned and Planet of the Dead must have come out since this thread last breathed. Any thoughts?

Also, Matt Smith, Matt Smith, Matt Smith's hair (plus comment from McGann), Matt Smith's costume, Matt Smith's Matt Smith and the New Logo.

Answers on the back of a postcard, please. Or, you know, posted in the thread. Whichever you prefer.