The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 06-12-2009, 03:51 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

ARRGH. You can't see it, but there is smoke blasting out of my ears right now. Home situation is beyond belief. Please wish me luck resolving this.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Long fellow

Duly wished.

I can pray, too, if you're to that point. Little known talent of mine.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Thankfully, things have now settled down to the point where that shouldn't be necessary -- but I appreciate the offer.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM
Wink

Ah, well, everyone knows life sometimes gives you lemons. But there are also times it likes to hand out trick candles.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 06-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Rotten lemons. With worms. And half-worms.

Still better than spoo.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
And half-worms.
I like to call those "wos". (It's easier to pronounce than "rms".)

In other news, the situation is stable enough now that I hope to finally update tomorrow. I've got to finish this event, and the fact that it's our anniversary month hasn't escaped me either.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Ack! I'm stuck in a timewarp where it's June 27th for me and still the 14th for everyone else! Nothing is changing! If anyone can hear this, please pull me out of this limbo!

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quick, try a jump to the left.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

And then a step to the right.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

With your hands on your hips.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

And have a wonderful... time?

In other news, bashing my head against the wall here, but I'm making progress. I swear this'll be worth waiting for, if perhaps not this long. And the home situation has remained relatively stable.

Meanwhile, if you're eager for something related to the Trek movie (which is my next stop after this event), I whipped this up a while ago.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 PM

...oh, Yukari damn it. I get called out and it takes me three months to show up and notice it. It's, to say the least, rather fail of me. Dreamer would revoke my lurking license.

PS: SOOOOOOOULS.
Watching your brother freak out when he realized he just married his heir to "Remilie de Bourgogne": PRICELESS
Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Called out? I didn't realize I'd done that, but it's good to see you back.

In local news, I had a seizure in the cafeteria today. It was messy, so I'm glad I was unconscious for it. We're waiting for word on whether this indicates anything more serious such as epilepsy (which my dad has, but it was acquired, so it shouldn't be hereditary). For now, I'm just extremely sore in the parts that hit the ground. I've lost math camp time I can't get back, too.

Event's no deader than I am, however -- and if you'd like a hint at one of the series I'll be putting to use, check today's date. (Tuesday's, that is.)

Last edited by Zeke; 07-08-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Long fellow

YES! I've always wanted to see Seven Days get fived!

What? Stop looking at me like that!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
In local news, I had a seizure in the cafeteria today. It was messy, so I'm glad I was unconscious for it. We're waiting for word on whether this indicates anything more serious such as epilepsy (which my dad has, but it was acquired, so it shouldn't be hereditary).
Saw your Twitter entry from yesterday on this and was thinking "seizure, WTF?" I'm taking it that you've had no previous incidences of this sort; at least, I can't recall you mentioning anything like it before. How long a wait for "word" are you looking at?

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Actually, I've had a handful of similar experiences, but most of them predate this site (yep, all nine years of it). I collapsed after running for the bus once, and on another occasion I fainted on my front step after my first bike ride in a long time. The most recent collapse happened at home in Waterloo, back in '05 or so. Exertion or stress seems to be the only common element.

I got checked out at the hospital the last two times this happened; the bus incident was especially worrying since I fell down in the road (fortunately, the driver was doing his job and stopped well in advance). But the tests never turned up anything. This time was different in a couple of ways -- it was more severe than the others and it happened in the middle of a cafeteria line. The people around were very helpful; they called the paramedics right away and kept an eye on me till they arrived. It would have been much worse if I'd been alone, assuming I took the same damage on the way down. (The floor did a number on my back, and I chomped my tongue hard enough that it looked like I was bleeding from the mouth while I was out.)

Anyway, the doc wouldn't say for sure that it's epilepsy. Even if it is, I'm in no immediate danger. I got some tests on the day itself and I'm supposed to go back for an MRI; I'll also be seeing a neurologist. Otherwise I'm okay. Back's still sore, but getting better. And the rest of the math camp went smoothly.

Wowbagger: You may actually be surprised how close that is. Or you may not.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Not to be a jerk, Z, but is this really the kind of stuff you want recorded for posterity? Is there that much on the Internet that will not be saved in some database somewhere? E-mail close friends about these things, don't put it on a billboard for anybody with a computer to see.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Long fellow

Lords of Kobol. Has it been nine years? *shudder*

Good luck, Zeke. Sounds like you need it.

Incidentally, I'm amazed anyone else has watched Seven Days, much less considered fiving it. Win!

Any release date before March 7th, 2017, will be a pleasant and winful surprise to me.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Actually, I've had a handful of similar experiences, but most of them predate this site (yep, all nine years of it). I collapsed after running for the bus once, and on another occasion I fainted on my front step after my first bike ride in a long time. The most recent collapse happened at home in Waterloo, back in '05 or so. Exertion or stress seems to be the only common element.
Those two are common enough culprits in triggering or exacerbating a number of conditions. Stress may also be a precipitant for an epileptic seizure, but that seems to be far less common.

Quote:
I got checked out at the hospital the last two times this happened; the bus incident was especially worrying since I fell down in the road (fortunately, the driver was doing his job and stopped well in advance). But the tests never turned up anything. This time was different in a couple of ways -- it was more severe than the others and it happened in the middle of a cafeteria line. The people around were very helpful; they called the paramedics right away and kept an eye on me till they arrived. It would have been much worse if I'd been alone, assuming I took the same damage on the way down. (The floor did a number on my back, and I chomped my tongue hard enough that it looked like I was bleeding from the mouth while I was out.)

Anyway, the doc wouldn't say for sure that it's epilepsy. Even if it is, I'm in no immediate danger. I got some tests on the day itself and I'm supposed to go back for an MRI; I'll also be seeing a neurologist. Otherwise I'm okay. Back's still sore, but getting better. And the rest of the math camp went smoothly.
Good that this turned out reasonably well (sore back and tongue being only temporary, one hopes) and that you're getting it checked out again. Perhaps this time you can get a more definite call on what it is (or isn't.)

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Long fellow

If it makes you feel any better, Zeke, our show (Star Trek: Excelsior, for those not paying attention to my signature) is only just now entering post-production on our April Fool's Day episode. We, too, refuse to remove the "April Fool's Day" tag from the file. Despite an August release date!

So... yeah, I just thought you'd like to know that you are not alone in either your unbearable and chronic lateness or your insufferable fixation with April Fool's Day that borders on the obsessive. Indeed, everything I know about AFD I learned from 5MV.

Now get the joke done!