The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
3) The Doctor destroyed Skaro as part of the War (according to RTD, again).
I think this happens in 'Remembrance of the Daleks'. Though, I think the doctor says it will happen in the future (usings the 'Hand of Omega') Maybe RTD's changed it again? Had the Doctor finish them off quicker?
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Yes, this does refer to "Remembrance of the Daleks". According to RTD, this is one battle during the Time War.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Sounds like the whole Doctor/Dalek history is being retconned into the Time War. Next I'll expect to hear that the whole thing came down to some unforgivable Dalek insult inadvertently uttered by Morton Dill.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:02 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Look, if they're going to use appendages that look so obviously like plungers, then there are going to be toilet jokes. Frankly they were just setting themselves up for that one fine style.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

I have a Who question too. I haven't been able to get my hands on the first two regular Tenth Doctor episodes, just the ones after. Are the first two standalone enough that I can go ahead and watch the others, or is it important that I see them first?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Dialing the Lostoyannaphone

Location: Right now? I could be anywhere. LOOK BEHIND YOU! Hah. Made you look.
Send a message via AIM to Lostoyannaya Send a message via MSN to Lostoyannaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I have a Who question too. I haven't been able to get my hands on the first two regular Tenth Doctor episodes, just the ones after. Are the first two standalone enough that I can go ahead and watch the others, or is it important that I see them first?
So you haven't seen New Earth or Tooth and Claw? The second one is pretty important as it sheds some light on the Torchwood canon that is to be used later on in the series (me thinks). The first one is just a further introduction to the Doctor's new personality following The Christmas Invasion.

If you have Bit Torrent, have you tried TorrentSpy? The search engine's a bit rubbish: if you type in "Who" you just get MP3s from the band; if you type in "Dr. Who" you get nothing, if you type in "Doctor Who", you get a few crappy results. I always try to type in the episode titles, that seems to work.

YouTube seems to have New Earth loaded up in small bits - I've managed to find a parts 2, 3, 4, and a "final part", but a part 1 might be on later pages. (Also a rubbish search engine in some cases). However it does seem to have an entire episode collection for Tooth and Claw. (Search results T&C and NE).

Hope this helps!

~~Lostoyannaya

Favourite New Doc: 9th Doctor
Favourite Old Doc: 2nd and 6th Doctors

--

Firefox Convert.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
The short answer is yes, they are standalone -- the first two episodes don't set up anything that affects the rst of the season as I've seen it so far (but I've only seen up through Idiot's Lantern). Most of the Tenth Doctor characterization you need was done in Christmas Invasion. The Torchwood set-up in episode 2 is important for -- well, for Torchwood set-up, but if that comes into play at all in series 2 (as opposed to the separate series of Torchwood) I'm willing to bet that it will affect only the last few episodes, the way that all the "Bad Wolf" setup mainly affected the last two episodes last season.

And you do need to see School Reunion, Girl in the Fireplace, and the Cybermen episodes. (Those four hang together mainly because it's a story arc for one of the recurring characters.)

...plus in the Cybermen episodes you get two Goblet of Fire actors for the price of one...
Old 06-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Thanks, you two.

Quote:
If you have Bit Torrent --
Oh, just using BitTorrent would be easy. If finding TV episodes online were duck hunting, using BitTorrent would be buying a duck at the pet store. Unfortunately, my residence network is particularly strict about BT. I can usually use Kazaa and Soulseek without trouble, but BT clients show up on the network as some kind of illegal access ("scanning," they call it). Twice I've taken the risk and been briefly disconnected. If it happens a third time, they're required to inspect my computer before they can reconnect me, something I'd definitely like to avoid.

Now, I do have access to something extremely useful which I won't go into detail about. Suffice to say it's an excellent source most of the time, but involves only a couple hundred people, so if none of them have what I'm looking for, I'm out of luck. And unfortunately, nobody seems to have those two Who episodes, just the later ones. They're sure to show up eventually; I just needed to know if I could go ahead and watch the ones I have. That YouTube stuff sounds promising, so I'll check it out.

By the way, the best BT client I've ever used is BitComet. Integrated browser and everything -- well worth trying.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Look, if they're going to use appendages that look so obviously like plungers, then there are going to be toilet jokes. Frankly they were just setting themselves up for that one fine style.
Are the Daleks robots, or are there supposed to be lifeforms inside the pepperpots? I caught a few First Doctor episodes on YTV way back when, and I remember seeing the Doctor flip back the cupola of one and amuse himself playing with the toilet plunger. In real world terms, he was playing in the prop, but as far as the Doctorverse goes, just what was he doing? Occupying an empty shell while the bioform was elsewhere, or did he scoop out the mechanical guts and brain in order to hide in it?

Am I making myself perfectly clear?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

They're basically squid.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings

Yeah. They were a race called the 'Kaleds'. They were at war with the 'Thals'. The war involved Biological and chemical weapons which would mutate the Kaleds. So Davros (A baddie Scientist) Made ....The Daleks! (Notice the name...Kaleds...Daleks?) It was suppose to be a travel machine to just carry the Kaled people in their new form, but he made it so they would have no pity or anything and lots of firepower. Basicly your standard wacko.
So now the Daleks are these blobby thing that can, it seems, kill on their own, sometimes. Or as the doctor puts it "Little green blobs in bonded polycarbide armour".
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Are the Daleks robots, or are there supposed to be lifeforms inside the pepperpots?
As the Ninth Doctor said in "Dalek", the exterior casing is basically "battle armo[u]r" and the real Dalek is the mutant squid inside.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

"Tooth and Claw" you might want to watch, Zeke, but basically the gist of the stuff you want to know is - Torchwood has been around for a wee while. I also found in an interesting episode in contrast to the BBC novel Empire of Death in which the Doctor and Queen Victoria manage to get on rather better. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't even the slightest hint of a mention of it, but c'est la vie.

I just want to say, even with as many SF clichés as it uses, "The Impossible Planet" is going to blow your collective socks off. It is in every sense a classic Who adventure, the kind of thing that makes you fall in love with the series all over again.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Hobbesian

Quote:
I just want to say, even with as many SF clichés as it uses, "The Impossible Planet" is going to blow your collective socks off. It is in every sense a classic Who adventure, the kind of thing that makes you fall in love with the series all over again.
I feel the exact same way! But for some reason, everyone I seem to talk to, friends and family, etc, all seem to just say, 'okish...not that good..'
I can't explain it. I thought it ROCKED. ahem..
Sorry for using that word.
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

They are heathens, and as painful as it is you must excommunicate them at once.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
I thought "Impossible Planet" was fantastic. Even setting aside the Satan mythological stuff (how awesome was it of them to get the voice of Sutekh!), this episode has genuine suspense and a sense of scale that many of the new series episodes have lacked.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Unfortunately, "The Satan Pit" was rather an anticlimax (at least, I felt so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Are the Daleks robots, or are there supposed to be lifeforms inside the pepperpots? I caught a few First Doctor episodes on YTV way back when, and I remember seeing the Doctor flip back the cupola of one and amuse himself playing with the toilet plunger. In real world terms, he was playing in the prop, but as far as the Doctorverse goes, just what was he doing? Occupying an empty shell while the bioform was elsewhere, or did he scoop out the mechanical guts and brain in order to hide in it?

Am I making myself perfectly clear?
Ahh, no, that was just the exterior, which was in a museum in a parallel universe (the TARDIS jumped a time track, IIRC). The story is called "The Space Museum" for the record, and there are some very amusing interrogation scenes.

@Z: The first two eps were a bit weak, IMO. Certainly compared to the rest of this season.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!

Last edited by Chancellor Valium; 06-11-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
. The story is called "The Space Museum" for the record, and there are some very amusing interrogation scenes.
Is that the one where they're using the mind-probe-thingie to call images from the Doctor's mind?

Interrogator: How did you get here?
Doctor's mind: (thinks of a penny-farthing)
Old 06-11-2006, 07:29 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Unfortunately, "The Satan Pit" was rather an anticlimax (at least, I felt so...)
I didn't see it as being so. Okay, so perhaps it was obvious that they weren't all going to die, but I felt it had a nice degree of introspection to it as a counterbalance to all that running away from monsters business.

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Hobbesian

I did like the end of satan pit. The TARDIS pulling along another ship was kinda cool, if however, rather new. Never seem it do that before!! Not that it shouldn't be able to, mind you. It can travel through time, damn it!
House Quote of the Day!
Dr Wilson MD (Just)