The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 01-05-2020, 04:13 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

A transparent dome is just begging for trouble. Even if the material filters out harmful radiation outside human vision, bright lights from close stars or explosions or weapon bolts will cause distracting shadows at best and blind bridge crew at worst.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-17-2020, 12:05 AM
Knate airrant

I just watched the start of "One Little Ship" again...

PNQ: Did the runabout follow the Defiant out here? The shuttlebay is only big enough for two shuttlepods, right? Did the Defiant tow the runabout?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:32 PM
Knate airrant

I'm watching Trek tribute videos again...

PNQ: In "Relics" Scotty says "show me the bridge of the Enterprise." Aren't there dozens of ships that fit the description of "a ship called Enterprise that has a bridge"?

A quick look at Wikipedia shows that there have been dozens of Enterprises with bridges. Aircraft carriers, schooners, civilian craft, etc.

I found myself wondering if "starship Enterprise" would've been adequate description to make the computer limit itself to the NCC 1701 series. What about the XCV-330 (the "ring ship")?

That led me to the definition of "starship" as opposed to "spaceship". In TOS we see many usages of "spaceship" to indicate a something smaller (except for cargo vessels, of course) and slower than a "starship." What's the boundary line? Could it be that there's a threshold of warp power between the two? That is, lower speed ships have simpler warp drives and engineering systems that need a much smaller crew than the behemoth of a starship?

Of course, Scotty should've been more specific to begin with, but you can forgive a bit of this due to his current state of inebriation.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:34 PM
Knate airrant

A YouTube video asks men of various ages how many times they've been in love...

PNQ: How often do you think REAL romantic love can happen to someone in a lifetime?

I'm not a fogey who believes in once-in-a-lifetime soulmates, but people who give numbers in the dozens make me incredulous. It annoys me when people equate "sexual partner" or "long-term casual relationship" to "love", it leads me to believe that they haven't put much thought into the questions of what love is or what they want from a loving relationship.

(Meaningless aside, the autocorrect on this forum doesn't accept "fogey" as a word. A quick Googling lists several online dictionaries who have entries for it. Weird.)

Old 03-28-2020, 09:14 PM
Knate airrant

Watching SF Debris' review of "Skin of Evil" again, and I get annoyed by this bit...

In describing how he didn't have enough material to make a Tasha Yar tribute: "If it's not her being violent, making a report, or trying to get laid, it's just nothin'."

PNQ: Is that really all she had to do?

They gave Tasha plenty to do and talk about...

1. She is ready to indulge Wesley's questions because she didn't have a childhood of her own and wants Wesley to have every advantage.
2. She was envious of Troi's beauty because she never had a chance to channel her feminine side.
3. She was rescued by the Federation and so was its most vocal supporter to anyone who would mock it.

You see what I'm getting at, right?