The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 04:01 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It just occurred to me: 5MV is a fairly prominent [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] site, with big forums, and yet we don't have regular [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] threads -- even though Science Fiction is one of the forums! Chalk it up to laziness on my part... I used to start these threads regularly. In fact, I even used to do daily "Roundup" threads listing the sf reruns that were on that day. I no longer pretend to have that kind of time, but I still think it was a good idea, so maybe I'll recruit someone to do it for me.

Anyway, [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0]. Week before last we had "Chosen Realm," a religious message show. I had this exchange with my brother partway through....
Me: "Know what's subtle about this episode?"
Him: "What?"
Me: "Absolutely nothing."
I still think that pretty much sums it up. The episode had a message and it wasn't going to let us leave without cramming that message into every brain cell in our heads. To its credit, it was careful to get that message right: it wasn't "religion is bad," it was "blowing up people [iost_uid0]for[/iost_uid0] religion is bad." And there were good moments, particularly Archer's clever use of the transporter. But the episode was very predictable and just didn't have much point.

"Proving Ground," on the other hand, was barrels of fun. It was an interesting twist on the usual "Are they on our side or not?" story -- the answer to that question actually changed partway through when Shran got the order to steal the weapon. Reed, who's been a bit underused this year, got a B-plot to play with and another not-quite love interest (this show has a [iost_uid0]good[/iost_uid0] record with female Andorians). The ending was satisfying too; it got Archer the data he needed without cheapening his sacrifice, and I don't know about you, but I was glad to see the goodwill between Archer and Shran wasn't lost for good.

Thought for the day: how did this encounter with Shran turn out in the "Twilight"-verse, with T'Pol in command?[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 01-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Didn't Shran give them shield-generators in that version?

I agree with you on Chosen Realm. When Archer was given that choice, I immediately knew what his answer would be. I did not, however, expect his transporter-idea. That was pretty cool.

Proving ground was great. I was hoping for some connection with the first two seasons in the expanse. It's too bad the Andorians didn't go with him through multiple episodes. That's what I was hoping too.

Now I wonder when we'll learn about this seasons connection with the time-travelers. Who told the Xindi the humans would destroy their planet? And wasn't it already destroyed by their own war? Do the Suliban play a role? Good thing there's no temporal prime directive yet. (Or is there? )[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[quoteost_uid0="Michiel"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Good thing there's no temporal prime directive yet. (Or is there? )[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hell, there's not even a normal prime directive yet. However, "yet" is a pretty relative term when it comes to time travel. Daniels seems to use it now and then though.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]In an interview/chat on startrek.com Scott Bakula said that the United Federation of Planets will probably be founded on Star Trek Enterprise. Probably with the (temporal) prime directive.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Thought for the day: how did this encounter with Shran turn out in the "Twilight"-verse, with T'Pol in command?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened similarly, with it being a lot tenser.

It's doubtful Shran would've turned around after finding T'Pol in command, and he probably would've just stuck to communicating with Trip as often as possible. I'd just expect that any time T'Pol issued orders, Shran would balk more often and adamantly than he did to Archer. It's doubtful T'Pol would've been allowed on Shran's ship at all, and so either the Andorians would've stolen the prototype successfully, or T'Pol would've done what Archer did and the Andorians would leave Enterprise behind, but with considerably worse relations than they did in the episode.

As for my overall thoughts, "Chosen Realm" was fair. Scifi depictions of religion normally don't impress me too much, and this episode was no exception.

"Proving Ground" was great. I really enjoyed it, enough to even catch the encore showing Saturday at 8, which is a first for me with ENT.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Bleh - I'm only just up to "Canamar". I can't say I've been especially impressed by season 2 up till now (even Archer getting beat up every other episode stops being funny after a while). I did like "Cease Fire" quite a bit though, mainly because of a certain Chief Engineer.

Is the Xindi arc actually good? At the moment I'm kinda wavering as to keep watching or not, but I certainly will if it picks up in season 3.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The series goes straight up from where you are, PHJ.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction