The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Hate to admit it, but I don't see the pun. What is it?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Yup. Absolutely worthless thing to know, but where are we supposed to get material for fiver jokes if not for worthless things?

Suddenly I'm reminded of old commercials. Did anyone else know that one of the oldest continually running commercial is the "Tootsie Roll owl" one?

To return to the topic of "Star Trek Gaming," are there any ideas that people think would make great premeses for a Trek game? Here's mine:

The Orion Syndicate has taken over a Risa-like planet where you are vacationing. Since the planet is outside the Federation, you are the only officer on the planet and your only resources are a runabout and a sporadic commlink with Starfleet Command (the runabout in orbit can send and recieve signals most of the time, but the planet is going through a batch of nebular gas and it is only sporadically that it clears up enough for you to beam up/down or communicate with anyone). Since you were on vacation, no one knows you're an officer. Can you find enough evidence to arrest the Syndicate members?

While examining an Iconian gateway your team is suddenly attacked by Romulans who want to claim it as their own. Your ship has been destroyed and they've set up signal scramblers. Being hopelessly outnumbered, you are forced to jump through the gateway and gather reinforcements. Where will you end up? Will you find allies or enemies? Consider it a riff on Sliders if you must.

Your team has been sent to Trelane's world to examine the equipment he used to create such realistic illusions. Too bad one of your colleagues is half-Deltan and as such is slightly telepathic. The equipment is just a little beyond your understanding, and you set off a pulse that drives the Deltan insane. Driven mad a la McCoy in The City on the Edge of Forever, he activates a program that sends all of you into a simulation of seventeenth-century Earth. You don't know how to get out, so you have to do the distasteful: think like Trelane. What kind of hoops would he design to get out of a variety of sixteenth- and seventeenth-century illusions? The insane crewman has the off switch, so you have to track him down to turn it off. What's worse that that, you can't access your ship because of Trelane's scrambler, so where are you going to get food if everythings an illusion? Who's going to get the little food and water that you have?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Hate to admit it, but I don't see the pun. What is it?
Rare was the studio who made GoldenEye64.

Also, who's on first.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

I didn't see it, either. Not surprising.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Yup. Absolutely worthless thing to know, but where are we supposed to get material for fiver jokes if not for worthless things?

Suddenly I'm reminded of old commercials. Did anyone else know that one of the oldest continually running commercial is the "Tootsie Roll owl" one?

To return to the topic of "Star Trek Gaming," are there any ideas that people think would make great premeses for a Trek game? Here's mine:

The Orion Syndicate has taken over a Risa-like planet where you are vacationing. Since the planet is outside the Federation, you are the only officer on the planet and your only resources are a runabout and a sporadic commlink with Starfleet Command (the runabout in orbit can send and recieve signals most of the time, but the planet is going through a batch of nebular gas and it is only sporadically that it clears up enough for you to beam up/down or communicate with anyone). Since you were on vacation, no one knows you're an officer. Can you find enough evidence to arrest the Syndicate members?

While examining an Iconian gateway your team is suddenly attacked by Romulans who want to claim it as their own. Your ship has been destroyed and they've set up signal scramblers. Being hopelessly outnumbered, you are forced to jump through the gateway and gather reinforcements. Where will you end up? Will you find allies or enemies? Consider it a riff on Sliders if you must.

Your team has been sent to Trelane's world to examine the equipment he used to create such realistic illusions. Too bad one of your colleagues is half-Deltan and as such is slightly telepathic. The equipment is just a little beyond your understanding, and you set off a pulse that drives the Deltan insane. Driven mad a la McCoy in The City on the Edge of Forever, he activates a program that sends all of you into a simulation of seventeenth-century Earth. You don't know how to get out, so you have to do the distasteful: think like Trelane. What kind of hoops would he design to get out of a variety of sixteenth- and seventeenth-century illusions? The insane crewman has the off switch, so you have to track him down to turn it off. What's worse that that, you can't access your ship because of Trelane's scrambler, so where are you going to get food if everythings an illusion? Who's going to get the little food and water that you have?
Nice idea.

One I was thinking on was an MMOG playing as the dark side of each faction. Pre/parellel to early DS9, you can choose to be a member of Section 31, the Tal Shi'ar, the Obsidian Order et al. You are given missions against one another etc etc. You can climb the ranks, but also be demoted for doing badly. Your ultimate goal is to get to the top of the game - if you're Federation, to take Sloan's place, and from their, manipulate galactic politics, for the good of your empire, or to benefit yourself...
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!