The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]...well, since no one else has posted about either of the two episodes that were on, I figured I'd start up a thread on one of the two episodes. Why not both in the same thread? Well, partly because we've treated each episode in its own thread before so there's no reason to change now, and partly because my stupid UPN had such crappy reception that I missed significant portions of "Bounty".

That said, on to "First Flight".

I liked this episode. It was nice to see some of the history of the Warp 5 program. It was nice to see some of the history between Archer and Tucker. It was nice to meet Archer's friend and rival Robinson, and I think he was well introduced to us.

I like the impression I got that Archer is a bigwig around the area because of his father. It's interesting to see all the talk about his father since that really hasn't been touched on too much since the pilot. I bet that everyone there knew without a doubt who he was and I can just sense the way people treated him like he was Henry Archer's son, not Jonathan Archer. Almost makes you wonder if he got captaincy based on that, but I guess not since they went with Robinson over him in "First Flight".

- That feel of early experimental space flight. It's like watching [iost_uid0]Apollo 13[/iost_uid0]. This is the type of episode that should be shown if you want to arouse interest in our space program.
- Seeing younger Cmdr Archer and Lt Tucker.
- The hatred of Vulcans. On Enterprise it's not so obvious all the time since the crew has gotten over their dislike of T'Pol, but this episode reaffirmed it.
- The test ship. It just looked neat.

dislikes:
- Robinson's line about "taking a Vulcan along with you", while presumably supposed to be clever, just fell flat for me.

indifferent:
- the dark matter subplot. I realize it makes it more believable for Archer to be talking to T'Pol if they're forced to be in the same place for a while, but I couldn't care less if they're looking for dark matter or cheese for chili, I mean, Porthos. Speaking of which, where is the little guy?[/colorost_uid0]