The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 12-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter
Default David Tennant named 'best Dr Who'

Fans have named David Tennant the best ever Doctor Who in a poll, beating Tom Baker into second place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6211584.stm?ls

Man, Valium must need a Valium right about now.

The thing that surprises me about this is not that DT is on top but that Peter Davison is way down the list. Sometimes I feel like the only Fifth Doctor fan on Earth.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Fans have named David Tennant the best ever Doctor Who in a poll, beating Tom Baker into second place.
Or, it's the fact that Dt is the current and latest doctor, and many of the fans now are young and stupid and vote for the latest one. Or because he's 'cute' or because they don't even know anyother doctors... Nothing against DT though.

I did watch 'The Three Doctors' again last night, (effects still as bad as ever) But boy was it good. Pertwee was great. Troughton too. I loved the way they played off each other. Like moody brothers. There were friends in real life though!
But anyway, thats the kind of doctor I liked, grandfather like but still young and funny. And kinda 'grand' speaking...with secrets in him....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
The thing that surprises me about this is not that DT is on top but that Peter Davison is way down the list. Sometimes I feel like the only Fifth Doctor fan on Earth.
I'm not a big fan of him, but don't mind some of his episodes. To me, though, the thing is this. There's a poll on another website about which doctor, on the TV (Medical, not 'The doctor') would you want to be treated by, in you were in trouble. Out of a bunch of them (JD from scrubs, Some from ER, etc)Who wins? House! The man that seems to have no morals! I was chatting to a friend and she said it's probley because people feel that he will do anything to save a patient, and you feel safe with him - like he knows everything. I think Pertwee and Baker played it a bit like that....always knowing everything and a quality that would make you feel safe even when the worst is happening. Davison...well I'm not so sure....
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Burt; 12-07-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Very interesting. I'm handicapped by a lack of experience with the first eight Doctors, but personally, I would have voted for Eccleston over Tennant. It's downright tragic that he only stuck around for one season.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 AM
You just activated his Trek card

1. Can anyone really tell me what the big deal is with Doctor Who? It reminds me of people gushing about B5, when all I see is a show. A good show, no question, nice characters, but shows that force me to watch all of them in order to understand all the nuances (seriously, if you don't watch from Day One at least 80% of B5 goes right over your head) really tick me off.
2. How come they've never syndicated DW on regular TV? Late night on PBS, if nothing else.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

1. It's the longest-running science fiction series in the world. (I think.) Also, it's one of the few shows that can plausibly recast the main character every couple seasons to give the show a fresh new look and not suffer for plot or character development because of it. And the TARDIS is awesome.

2. Because they hate us.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:45 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Uh, I'm not so sure about that longest-running thing anymore. I think in terms of sheer number of seasons, yeah, but continuous...Stargate owns that title, and I get the feeling it's gonna hold it for awhile.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
2. How come they've never syndicated DW on regular TV? Late night on PBS, if nothing else.
I was picking up some DW DVD's at the library the other day and the librarian mentioned that she glad that they had brought the series back and she missed watching it on PBS.... but I really don't know how long it was that she was watching it.

The only Doctors I’ve seen much of are the 4th 9th and 10th (I know the names of the actors but I’m sure I’d butcher the spelling and I’m to lazy tonight to look them up ) and i couldn't possibly pick which of those is my favorite.

Last edited by Katy Jane; 01-10-2007 at 05:55 AM.