The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 05-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My post has no real spoilers. Beware of others though.

Who saw it? This is the first movie I've seen opening night (not midnight, as the theatre didn't have any, so 10:00 instead), and I must say I enjoyed it.

The action was incredible. Seriously, I'll never look at tractor trailers the same way again.

The plot was eh until the end. I was skeptic that they'd pull it off, and now I still am.... Still, I eagerly await [iost_uid0]Revolutions[/iost_uid0].[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:14 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I saw it tonight. I loved it, better than I expected. The Highway scene blew me away. *wonders if they will make a video game based on the highway scene* That would be awesome!![/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-16-2003, 03:00 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]They are doing some car-based sections in the game, I know that much.[/colorost_uid0]

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

[color=#000000ost_uid0]*Small Spoiler Ahead*

Ive been playing the game, and its awesome. It seems to follow the movie, but in the point of view from Niobe and Ghost. Since she was in the highway scene, I bet its in the game too.

Now to prosose a theory for Matrix: Resolutions

My mom just proposed this theory to me. After seeing Neo being able to stop the machines at the end of the movie in the "real world", my mom thinks its a matrix inside a matrix, and that Neo is a real person in our world. And with Zion being destroyed 5 other times like it has, it suggests that he is playing, by being plugged into the matrix, a RPG game trying to save Zion. Agent Smith is a virus in the game that is keeping Neo stuck in it. In Resolutions, he beats the game by saving Zion and escapes. It made sense to me when my mom told me.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I saw a piece in the newspaper that said that they had written, what was it, a [iost_uid0]244-page script[/iost_uid0] for the *game*. :O

By the way, it was a sidebar to a larger article that basically [spoilers -->][color=whiteost_uid0]wrote off the plot to the movie as being nonexistent or nonsensical[/colorost_uid0].[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-16-2003, 10:44 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]According to [iost_uid0]OPS2[/iost_uid0] magazine, the whole thing was carefully planned to fit in with the film as much as possible, which is kinda cool. It's almost like an interactive add-on to the events of the movie, as opposed to every other movie tie-in game on the market which just capitalise on the film hype and turn out to be utter garbage.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Pretty damn big spoilers
I'm not a huge fan of having a Matrix within a Matrix idea. It just doesn't feel right....

My theory is that Neo himself is not human. Think about it; his role in the movies is not much different than that of the Oracle or the Keymaker; he's there to serve a purpose. This, coupled with the fact that each incarnation of Neo looks like Keanu Reaves, coupled with the fact that Neo has some power in the real world, leads me to believe he's not human. I like this idea better.
End pretty damn big spoilers[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 05-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm hoping to see it for me b-day tomorrow. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-18-2003, 02:24 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]i watched it the day before. cool effects... plotwise... gah? i just sat there looking stumped. still do not get it. matrix within matrix theory is waaaaaay over my head. am too stupid to get anything.

loved the movie.

(as can tell, brain still recovering from the experience. should have called movie matrix overloaded.) [/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]< spoilers >

Well, you have two choices, Neo is either not human, or it's a matrix in a matrix I kid, I kid. I'm actually a fan of the matrix inside a matrix bit. It would be like a failsafe - like the power system failsafe might have foreshadowed to - perhaps.

The ending was like the ending you'd expect in an episode of [iost_uid0]Captain Proton[/iost_uid0].

The "philosophy" was definatly clumsy and jaunting. It made you think, but there was no work in finding it. The same questions were proposed over and over; cliche after cliche. Even though at times the Christian religious iconery was a little much to bear - they were coupled with plenty of Eastern concepts, like karma and reincarnation that balenced things out quite nicely. But, it was still done slopily. Of course, a script is never finished, it's just due - however, a longer deadline might have been better to fit in some more revisions.

The new dogma of the matrix realm took a bit to digest, but it's starting to settle - it sertinly made matters complicated, but after the meeting with the architect, things started to make sense. It was like a second disillusionment.

AWEXOME ACTION! Whoo! WHOO!!!

And... did anyone stick around and catch the teaser for the third film at the end?

[/colorost_uid0]

Old 05-19-2003, 01:54 AM
Factorial

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes, I stayed to watch

As for the Matrix in a Matrix idea, I am a fan of that idea too. Another idea could be that Neo is still inside the Matrix, but I doubt that.

My mom thinks its all a game that Neo is playing and is stuck in it until he beats it.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 05-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000ost_uid0]My mom thinks its all a game that Neo is playing and is stuck in it until he beats it.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I think I finally understand the Matrix inside a Matrix idea. (Yep, brain has recovered from overload) Positively cool, like one of those mental curveballs they were throwing in the original movie.

I like it.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-19-2003, 02:44 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="NeoMatrix"]My mom thinks its all a game that Neo is playing and is stuck in it until he beats it.[/quoteost_uid0]
I seem to recall a corny-looking movie (but then, I came in at the climax) that had that plot. A one-word title, the good guys zip around in some levitating shuttle inside the computer, love triangle, the hero's chucking Frisbees around... can't think of the title though.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0][bost_uid0]Homer:[/bost_uid0] Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
[bost_uid0]Hibbert:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Lisa:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Marge:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Wiggum:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Bart:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Patty:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Wiggum:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Ned:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Selma:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Frink:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Lovejoy:[/bost_uid0] No.
[bost_uid0]Wiggum:[/bost_uid0] Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-19-2003, 05:47 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Saxamaphone"][color=#000000ost_uid0][bost_uid0]Homer:[/bost_uid0] Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Strangeness. I've never watched "Tron". Is it good?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-19-2003, 07:59 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I happen to think it's quite good, but others may not agree with me.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 05-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]I've never watched "Tron". Is it good?[/quoteost_uid0]

It's got Bruce Boxleitner in it. Shall I go on? *g*

Basically, it's the grandaddy of all inside-the-machine movies. This is the time when computers were big clunky things with mainframes the size of small cars, 5 1/4" floppy drives, bright- green- or eye-watering-orange-on-black screens (like my ICQ colour scheme ).

The special effects look like something from the early 80s, which oddly enough was when the movie was made.

And I just saw Reloaded today, so I can finally read this thread.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]It's got Bruce Boxleitner in it. Shall I go on? *g*[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I take that as a 'no'? LoL. Hmm. Must go look for movie sometime. And make own judgement.

Hmm 1980s. Was that before or during the cyberpunk era? Cannot remember. Must go do more research.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 05-20-2003, 12:55 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I maintain that [iost_uid0]The American President[/iost_uid0] has Bruce Boxleitner in it. I know it's Michael Douglas, but darn it, he's got to be either Boxleitner or his long-lost twin.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 05-20-2003, 11:50 PM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Spoilers, but not too much more than has already been posted.

At this point I've seen it twice, and I think it's way better the second time. I must admit, the first time through much of the plot struck me as contrived and kinda cheesy. I was disappointed right up until the scene with the Archetect (spelling, anyone?) . But after seeing that scene, the whole movie makes a lot more sense and seems a lot less cheesified. In fact, after the second time I've decided it's quite brilliant, and I really wasn't expecting that. Not only did it have enormous potential apon conclusio (November, hurry up now), it was very good as a stand alone movie. If you think about it, everything after the climax can be considered exposition for Revolutions anyway, and most of the story before the climax wrapped itself up quite nicely. This is why I'm not even bothering to try an figure out the deal with Neo and the sentinels; it's really only a teaser for Revolutions anyway, and I don't claim to be able to predict the Wachowskis. It also took the basic theme of Matrix (love) and was able to elaborate and show that it was going somewhere, something which I think many critics of the movie who gave it bad reviews may not have picked up upon.
The main difference between Matrix and Reloaded just the general feel; Matrix was much more mysterious, an option that was obviously not available to Reloaded. As a result, Reloaded needed to obtain much more of it's effect through plot and epic, as opposed to concept and event. This makes Reloaded a very different movie, but IMO still a great movie. My only real beef is the fight music; they could've used better techno at least. I personally prefer Don Davis's score, but I can see how it'd be less appropriate in these circumstances.
Also, despite Reloaded's greatness, I still think it had nothing on the lobby scene. That scene will live forever.

End[/colorost_uid0]