The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 04:51 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]

Before our little server mishap, I said I was hoping to make last week a week of many fivers. That's no longer possible -- so you'll just have to settle for [iost_uid0]this[/iost_uid0] week being one.

Today I've got a new videogame fiver for you, and if you know me and 5MVG, you know it's Mega Man. This one is a fiver in one more sense than usual because it actually covers five games. Back when they were making Mega Man games for the original Nintendo, they did this thing of taking half the bosses from each pair of consecutive games and putting them in a smaller game for the Game Boy. For example, the first Mega Man Game Boy game featured four bosses from [iost_uid0]Mega Man 1[/iost_uid0] and four from [iost_uid0]Mega Man 2[/iost_uid0]. While each of the first four also had a new miniboss, there's just too much character repetition to make them fiver material. However, the [iost_uid0]fifth[/iost_uid0] was all original, and interesting to boot.

So rather than have only the fifth Game Boy game fived, I've done minifivers to cover the original parts of the first four, and a full fiver for the fifth. (Say that five times fast.) The result is Five-Minute [iost_uid0]Mega Man[/iost_uid0]: The Game Boy Games. I'm aware that the audience for these is pretty limited, but hey -- my little brothers love my Mega Man fivers, and that's enough for me. (Also, switching series once in a while keeps me creative. Think of this as practice for those Ent fivers I'm behind on.)

Finally, happy birthday to Sa'ar Chasm! You've heard that name here before -- Sa'ar is a five-time guest writer and prominent forumgoer. There's more to come from him, too.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Enker: Hey, that's... but... now just a... I... ARRGH!
(BOOM)
Mega Man: Thank you, Captain Kirk.[/quoteost_uid0]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Brilliant.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Enker: Hey, that's... but... now just a... I... ARRGH!
(BOOM)
Mega Man: Thank you, Captain Kirk.[/quoteost_uid0]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Â Brilliant.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]That was pretty great. You've convinced me; I'll buy the compilation for my GBA.

After Metroid: Zero Mission, of course.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You know what could make for some good fivers? Megaman Battle Network 1, 2, 3 (, 4) for the Gameboy Advance. They actually have a good storyline to work with.

[uost_uid0]Edit:[/uost_uid0] Oh, and happy birthday, Sa'ar! [/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Happy birthday, Sa'ar!

Good time to ask you... what're you doing with yourself nowadays? (I think I'm less familiar with most of you than you are with each other... I honestly don't know what most of you do in RL... and now's as good a time to ask as any ).[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 02-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Michiel"]You know what could make for some good fivers? Megaman Battle Network 1, 2, 3 (, 4) for the Gameboy Advance.[/quoteost_uid0]
I do plan to do those, but there are others I'd like to do first. Â I'm a huge X-series fan, for example, and Mega Man Zero is one of the best games ever. Â There are also a couple of original-series games I haven't done yet, like Mega Man & Bass. Â Battle Network is a great game, but it may be a while before I get to that one -- though I'll take into account the fact that it's been requested. Â (Also, I'm not done playing through BN yet. Â I'm up to WoodMan.)

Oh, and there's that small matter of [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0]. And VVS9. And....[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I`ve never played these games, but still, funny fivers!

[iost_uid0]As opposed to how sane he usually is?[/iost_uid0]

Great line. Comes to me every time someone questions the sanity of a villain!

Happy birthday, Sa`ar! Any surprise parties? [/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 02-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Wigging out

[quoteost_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Good time to ask you... what're you doing with yourself nowadays? (I think I'm less familiar with most of you than you are with each other... I honestly don't know what most of you do in RL... and now's as good a time to ask as any ).[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I wander around the house and mostly do nothing useful, Then I go out and do nothing useful there too. Between that, I study History. I should have been studying Norwegian already too, but the bloody classes have been delayed.

And how about you? [/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Happy birthday, Sa`ar! Any surprise parties?[/quoteost_uid0]

I brought in cake to the lab, and Mum's going to phone at 10 tonight. The excitement that is my life...*g*

PhD Comics

Thing aren't quite this depressing.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Sniper Joe: But obviously you can build them without too much trouble. A few more could --
Dr. Wily: THERE WILL BE EIGHT.
Sniper Joe: But why not --
(BOOM)
Dr. Wily: I think I'll build eight Robot Masters now.

Mega Man: ...Is that a pogo stick?
Quint: We have amazing technology in the future.

Dr. Wily: I've got it! Toad Man!
Ballade: I'm starting to see where your problem is.[/quoteost_uid0]
:lol:

[quoteost_uid0]Dr. Light: Shoot the minor robots. I know they've never dropped P-Chips before, but I bet they'll start now![/quoteost_uid0]
:lol: Ouch! That [iost_uid0]is[/iost_uid0] awfully [iost_uid0]convenient[/iost_uid0], isn't it? :smile:

Great work, Zeke.

And happy birthday, Sa'ar! [/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-03-2004, 02:23 AM
Wigging out

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Â I'm aware that the audience for these is pretty limited, but hey -- my little brothers love my Mega Man fivers, and that's enough for me. Â [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hm... so, you have at least two little brothers...then there`s your Mothy brother... and then there`s you... which makes - four brothers? Something like Malcolm in the Middle? [/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Administrator

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Four, yeah. Â I'm 21, and the others are 18, 12, and 7. The younger two are the ones who get a kick out of my MM fivers.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 02-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Me? I'm 20, and just finishing my very first semester of mathematics and computer science at Hebrew University. (Is everyone else here a student too?) I'm in a special program in the army, where I do my studies [iost_uid0]before[/iost_uid0] I do my military service, the army pays for part of my tuition, and then when I do my service, it's in my field, and for more time... so I've got the next few years of my life fairly mapped out for me. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm in university in about half a year. Informatics. Can't wait.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Transformed Man

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hmmm... what does "informatics" mean, exactly?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Data processing, or something. Computer stuff.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000ost_uid0](Is everyone else here a student too?)[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Marc and I aren't, though we both seem to work at universities. I don't think mudshark is a student either. But it certainly does seem like a large majority of people here are in school.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I'm a student, yes. Life Sciences, second year, National University of SucktitudeSingapore. I'm doing a bioinformatics course this sem. It's stupid. Kind of like How To Surf The Internet For Information 101, really. D'oh![/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yup. Computer-stuff just about sums it up. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Informatics.[/quoteost_uid0]
Would that be [iost_uid0]technische[/iost_uid0] informatica, by any chance?

I'm going to do math.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.