The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default November 14

Here's Derek's latest Smallville fiver: "Splinter." Oddly, it's not about mutant rats.

Now, about the Hallowe'en event... the conclusion was meant to be IJD's Alien Resurrection and my The Ring 2. Unfortunately, both of us have run into problems. With him it's lack of time, and with me it's something more elemental: fear. I'm having no luck getting through The Ring 2. Despite being as spoiled as possible, I can't even make it to Samara's first appearance. I could write the fiver "blind" (transcript-based), as I've done before with some VOY episodes, but it feels wrong now for some reason.

So rather than drag this thing out any further, I'm declaring the Hallowe'en event over. Both my fiver and IJD's will be along as soon as possible, but I'm not making anything else wait for them. (With luck, removing that pressure will help.) Thus we're back to the Smallville event, and when that's done... well, that'd be telling.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

You're kidding. A FiveMinute Prisoner? My parents used to watch that show on tape late at night when they thought I was asleep but inreality I had snuck downstairs and had come in through the back of the room. This is also how I watched Voyager, and what I've now pinned down as the last season of DS9. (I distinctly remember Erzi's face).

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 11-15-2005, 06:33 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Don't be dissin' the mutant rats, yo.

I've actually got a copy of Ringu 2 at hand if you want some help or whatever, Zeke.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Much obliged, Jedi -- but Ringu 2 is of limited use to someone working on a fiver of The Ring 2. Unlike the first American Ring film, Ring 2 was original, not based on any of the Japanese movies. It only borrowed one thing from Ringu 2: director Hideo Nakata. (On the other hand, I'm quite curious about Ringu 2, so I'll keep in mind that you have a copy.)

And wait, who said anything about a Five-Minute Prisoner?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Outnumbered

That was me.

e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I know, but what were you referring to?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Much obliged, Jedi -- but Ringu 2 is of limited use to someone working on a fiver of The Ring 2. Unlike the first American Ring film, Ring 2 was original, not based on any of the Japanese movies. It only borrowed one thing from Ringu 2: director Hideo Nakata. (On the other hand, I'm quite curious about Ringu 2, so I'll keep in mind that you have a copy.)
I think you'll find it's the Russian version of Pingu. That penguin gets about a bit.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia
Quote:
I think you'll find it's the Russian version of Pingu. That penguin gets about a bit.
I wanted to make that joke! :x
:P
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Man in the iron mask

Send a message via ICQ to Gatac Send a message via AIM to Gatac

Is it good or bad that I instantly got that joke?

Gatac
- d02 Quotes
Old 11-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Outnumbered

You know...The Prisoner? The British (I think?) show? I am the new #2? Ringin' any bells?

Old 11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Administrator

(headdesk) I know what The Prisoner is. What I don't know is what part of my newspost prompted you to say "You're kidding. A FiveMinute Prisoner?"

Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Default Re: November 14

Quote:
and when that's done... well, that'd be telling.
"That would be telling" can be interpreted as a reference to The Prisoner (a show that, sadly, I've never watched). Granted the expression was around before the show and is used in many places other than that, but whatever.

Google reveals this dialog:
Quote:
Prisoner: Where am I?
Number Two: In The Village.
Prisoner: What do you want?
Number Two: Information.
Prisoner: Which side are you on?
Number Two: That would be telling. We want information, information, information...
Prisoner: You won't get it.
Number Two: By hook or by crook we will. Prisoner: Who are you?
Number Two: The new Number Two.
Prisoner: Who is Number One?
Number Two: You are Number Six.
Prisoner: I am not a number. I am a free man.
Number Two: Ha, ha, ha, ha....
Old 11-17-2005, 06:17 AM
Outnumbered

Yeah. What he said. Apparently, I was wrong.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:12 AM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatac
Is it good or bad that I instantly got that joke?

Gatac
I'd go with good :wink:
Old 11-19-2005, 12:09 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Pingu rocks, and don't you foget it. He could take Pokey in a heartbeat.

By the way, apparently Sky is going to remake The Prisoner. Sky, in case you don't know, is the UK equivalent of Fox (both being owned by News Corp), only Sky's news channel isn't quite as frothing at the mouth as Fox's is. Pretty much all of the original programs that Sky creates are.... well, "steaming pile of horse crap" is the phrase that comes to mind, so I'm not hopeful. The one exception to that would be Battlestar Galactica, but that't not actually saying much as all Sky did there was fling a large amount of money as Skiffy in return for getting the rights to air it in the UK before anywhere else (and, in a related note, another Sky co-produced show, Threshold, is the reason why we don't get to see BSG season 2 until next year sometime - really, thank you, Sky, and thank you, Rick Berman).
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants