The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][iost_uid0]Anyway, my current problem is that all my best friends are on college in Zagreb, the capital city, where I live, but during the holidays they are all scattered across the country.[/iost_uid0]

So that's, what, half an hour's drive?

/big-country superiority complex (ask Cat)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[quoteost_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000ost_uid0]So that's, what, half an hour's drive?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Approximately, but my parents wouldn`t dream of giving me the car.

Perhaps because I still haven`t gone to driving school,

When I get the money to buy my own car, then I`ll learn how to drive. It`s just a waste of time and resources until then...[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 01-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Scorn is completely wasted when it turns out to be right.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="catalina_marina"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, they were blocking my view so I had to thwap them down.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Good for you!

::has to spread her destructive techniques to more people::[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Approximately, but my parents wouldn`t dream of giving me the car.[/quoteost_uid0]
And it's still a little far to go by bike, so don't you have some kind of way-too-expensive-train-company like we do?

[quoteost_uid0]/big-country superiority complex (ask Cat)[/quoteost_uid0]
Yeah, he thinks Canada is bigger than Europe, which, of course, it is.[/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Wigging out

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes, but I hate trains. They`re always late. And I hate buses - they are extremely uncomfortable and always play horrible music!

Yes, Canada`s big... To quote Mrs. Hansen, Seven of Nine`s mom: "It`s MASSIVE!"

Still, Croatia is bigger than The Netherlands :grins wickedly:[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Maybe so, but we have more coast.

And why are you not on ICQ? You [iost_uid0]are[/iost_uid0] this "Vik" person, right? :eyeroll:[/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 01-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Wigging out

[quoteost_uid0="catalina_marina"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Maybe so, but we have more coast. [/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]But, we have one thousand islands! I can`t imagine who has more. Canada and Norway maybe. Bwahahaha!

Sorry about ICQ, I`ve been very busy these last couple of days (busy= going out in the town, drinking coffee, black). I`ll be on ICQ today...[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]We have 1000 islands in one of our lakes alone, plus more coastline than you can shake an icebreaker at.

So nyah. I don't know what any of that proves, but nyah just the same.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It proves it can't be... companionable? Yeah, I heard once there's no proper English word for that. Anyway, the country is way too big for only twice our population.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Stop it, all you guys! My country is 42 kilometres across and can be driven from end to end on the inside of forty minutes, alright?

I win hands down for coming from the Smallest. Country. Ever.

NYAH![/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="taya17"]I win hands down for coming from the Smallest. Country. Ever.

NYAH![/quoteost_uid0]
You live in the Vatican? :S

On the subcountry level, Maryland can probably be [iost_uid0]walked[/iost_uid0] across in less than an hour. :smile:[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 01-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I once determined that Singapore is about the same size as Greater Vancouver.

And the province I'm currently living in, as well as the one I was living in up until last month, are both larger than most countries.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Wigging out

[quoteost_uid0="taya17"][color=#000000ost_uid0]I win hands down for coming from the Smallest. Country. Ever.

NYAH![/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Are you sure? Slovenia can also be driven from end to end, from Croatian border to Austrian border inside 40 minutes.

And there are also Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino... teeny weeny countries! [/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0][iost_uid0]Slovenia can also be driven from end to end, from Croatian border to Austrian border inside 40 minutes.[/iost_uid0]

That's side to side, not end to end.

[iost_uid0]And there are also Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino... teeny weeny countries![/iost_uid0]

But those aren't real countries. Liechtenstein is a rental property, Andorra is co-ruled by France and a Spanish bishop, Monaco is destined to become French when the Prince dies without heir...

There are a bunch of Pacific nations with a greater share of the globe than Singapore but less land area, since they consist of some specks of coral and vast tracts of water.

According to this, Singapore ranks 174 of 193.

Slovenia is 150, Croatia 123, Israel 149, Nederlands 131, Canada 2, USA 4. Did I miss anyone?

Ontario ranks between Bolivia and Mauritania (27 and 28), Quebec between 18 and 19 (Mongolia and Peru)*, Saskatchewan between 39 and 40 (Myanmar and Afghanistan) and BC between 30 and 31 (Tanzania and Nigeria).

* - this seems wrong. I was always led to believe that Ontario was the largest province, not Quebec. Maybe there's some trickery counting freshwater area - or possibly my teachers were all Anglo propagandists. Or my memory is faulty. That seems most likely.

Sources for provinces: http://www.statcan.ca/english/Pgdb/phys01.htm[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Monaco is destined to become French when the Prince dies without heir...[/quoteost_uid0]
Which doesn't mean it's not a country now.

[quoteost_uid0]According to this, Singapore ranks 174 of 193.[/quoteost_uid0]
That hasn't got New Sealand on it.

And Malta is smaller than Singapore? Geez. Then Singapore is not as small as I thought. Not at all.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, the smallest country on this board, anyway. Huh so there!

I can't IMAGINE any country which is smaller than Singapore. What do those people live on, a sand pit? ::shakes head::

Singapore is SMALL, Cat, SMALL. Trust me![/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Or is it KJHTMMM now?

Send a message via MSN to Katy Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Katy Jane

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]But, we have one thousand islands! I can`t imagine who has more. Canada and Norway maybe. Bwahahaha![/quoteost_uid0]

[quoteost_uid0]We have 1000 islands in one of our lakes alone, plus more coastline than you can shake an icebreaker at.
[/quoteost_uid0]

Oh yeah! well there are two countys in Wisconsin that have 10,000 lakes in them combined... oh wait wrong argument... is there anyone from minnesota? i've got some major thwaping to do. [mumbling] land of 10,000 lakes my ars, more like 10,000 mudpuddles[/mumblinb] [/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I'm pretty sure my pancreas has more than 10,000 Islets of Langerhans.

So my pancreas beats you all! NYAHAHA!

[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]A small country, maybe, but as a city, it's pretty big. We don't even [iost_uid0]have[/iost_uid0] cities that big. Myself, I live in a village of only a few thousend people. Now who can beat [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0]?

And Malta occupies less than half the space Singapore does.
They also have less than a tenth of the population.[/colorost_uid0]