The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 02-03-2005, 02:25 AM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan
Default I wonder what's next...

Well, ENT has been canceled, so B&B are probably going to make a new series, at least, they BETTER make a new series, or else they're going to have an angry mob on their hands with me near the front holding a large gun...

ANYWAYS, I start this thread to speculate on what the next Star Trek is going to be....

Here's what I first thought; It'll take place after Voyager so It'll have new technology, maybe loosely based on the Q continum series of TNG books where they try to pass the Galatic Barrier...

That's what I think, what do you all think it'll be?

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:31 AM
Factorial

Send a message via AIM to NeoMatrix Send a message via MSN to NeoMatrix Send a message via Yahoo to NeoMatrix

They could do Voyager: The Next Generation

lol
Old 02-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Personally, I'm hoping it'll have something to do with Section 31.

Anything other than that will not have a chance of replacing Enterprise, in my book any ways.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 02-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Outside looking in

I almost think another series would doom us all. I think Trek needs a tiny break. Just a tiny one. Not enough to drive us all insane. They need time to think up really fresh ideas to impress people again.

:\
Old 02-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to richardson

Ah, they could use another 5-15 year hiatus, long enough for me to sneak onto the scene, and star as the captain of the next misfit, old-rust-buckety ship.

That would be fun.

Evil Emperor of the Black Isles.......

Yodck: The perfect Anti-Sith butt-whooping, going medival Jedi Master! (Complete with nerve pinches, and strange vulcan sayings spoken in yoda tounge.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllianceCommand/
The site of strange things.

I reject your reality and subsititute my own!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

I like the way the Gorkon series has been going so far...

*whistles innocently*

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

A year of Hiatus should be enough time for the writers to all get fired and and new writers to make a super-duper amazing character series.

Also, B&B should get fired to, sorry to anyone that like them, but I lost my faith in them after the C/7 scene.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to richardson

nah, give it more time to cool off, and let better people move onto the scene!

Evil Emperor of the Black Isles.......

Yodck: The perfect Anti-Sith butt-whooping, going medival Jedi Master! (Complete with nerve pinches, and strange vulcan sayings spoken in yoda tounge.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllianceCommand/
The site of strange things.

I reject your reality and subsititute my own!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

I'm afraid I think that ST has exhausted most ideas. Anything new so soon would feel hackneyed or a re-hash. Maybe they could do anoth TOS film first :wink:
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:33 AM

Actually, they COULD make a seires that takes place at the same time as TNG, post- First Contact, where there is more advanced technology because of ENT, just to fix the continuity

Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

I don't believe that star trek needs a break. The stories are good, and still fresh (to me, anyway. I'm not the kind of person that pours over every episode looking for simularities like other trekkies i know.) But, with the movie doing badly, and now the last show, I truely believe that no network, and no film producers will ever back another Star Trek Show. At least not for a long time. Maybe in 20 years a new breed will come along and revive the series. But I don't think before then.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-05-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
I don't believe that star trek needs a break. The stories are good, and still fresh (to me, anyway. I'm not the kind of person that pours over every episode looking for simularities like other trekkies i know.) But, with the movie doing badly, and now the last show, I truely believe that no network, and no film producers will ever back another Star Trek Show. At least not for a long time. Maybe in 20 years a new breed will come along and revive the series. But I don't think before then.
Are you NUTS? Nelson ratings! THINK OF THE NELSON RATINGS! Tv stations are FIGHTING over Trek. Why? Because the nelson ratings state than Men aged 16-24 watch it as much as they watch sports, THAT'S why the made the movies, THAT'S why Trek still exists, because advertisers pay the producers carp-loads of money for commercial air time. Trek is going to be back in less than 5-10 years.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:55 PM

I personally think ENTVS5 would be fun........but we'd need to work out a rough overall plot (CD etc) first......
Old 02-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Quote:
Are you NUTS? Nelson ratings! THINK OF THE NELSON RATINGS! Tv stations are FIGHTING over Trek. Why? Because the nelson ratings state than Men aged 16-24 watch it as much as they watch sports, THAT'S why the made the movies, THAT'S why Trek still exists, because advertisers pay the producers carp-loads of money for commercial air time.
Oh yeah? if that's the case, then why did they cancel it? huh??

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Unless you two are pretending to be really annoyed, this is starting to sound like the US elections thread :wink:
Old 02-05-2005, 08:50 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Well, I can't believe that the Trek franchise is going to sit idle for any great length of time. I don't have any preference for what comes next though - first and formost I want to be surprised, to be given something new. I had hoped to see that with ENT itself, but it didn't really hit the mark,
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-06-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
Quote:
Are you NUTS? Nelson ratings! THINK OF THE NELSON RATINGS! Tv stations are FIGHTING over Trek. Why? Because the nelson ratings state than Men aged 16-24 watch it as much as they watch sports, THAT'S why the made the movies, THAT'S why Trek still exists, because advertisers pay the producers carp-loads of money for commercial air time.
Oh yeah? if that's the case, then why did they cancel it? huh??
Because Stargate SG-1 is ALSO watched by the same group, only more watch SG than ENT.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:45 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Yeah, that idea was right up there with "Let's put ENT opposite Angel and Smallville!"

On the other hand, if Friday is all "the death slot," how come Stargate is still running?

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

It's not really that the Golden Demographic watches Stargate more than Enterprise. Stargate's fanbase hasn't had anything to divide it since Shanks returned, and it's had an effective and consistent publicity treatment from the various networks.

Enterprise has opposition from the moment of conception due to iffy or divisive decisions on the part of TPTB. Messing with canon, weird opening credits, not even called "Star Trek" for the first season... The Killer Bs at the helm (everyone is familiar with the sentiment that Voyager became Star Trek: Seven of Nine, for example, poisoning people to the idea of Braga's contribution)... Vulcan in catsuit... decon gel... disorganized writing... Etc. People perceived a lot of these decisions as a lack of respect to the fans on the part of B&B, and decided "I'm not watching it" without giving it a chance.

Angel and Firefly were very much cult shows heavy on arc and characterization which required long viewing to really understand. Stargate is less arc-based, less cult, and has been in a stronger position since the beginning. The network ordered 2 seasons off the bat, and then another two a year (I think) later, thus guaranteeing 4 seasons at the beginning of the series. Enterprise never got that treatment.

To me, it looks like severe mismanagement. ENT needed a WAY better media campaign, for one. B&B would have done well to make some gestures toward the existing fanbase early in the development of the concept to minimize the animosity. 'Course, hindsight is 20/20. And UPN's always sucked with management.

/punditry
Old 02-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

I agree with Trek taking a year off.

[wacky theory] Perhaps Trek fans got turned off due to lack of P/C, so they all decided to boycott Enterprise [/wacky theory]

Because of above [wacky theory] I think a series about Section 31 would be cool. Perhaps bring in Chris Carter. And Joss Whedon...together, they might re-vitalize things.

Section 31, or a show about Starfleet training? Something new, but not too new, which uses the original timeline, and uses tried-and-true stuff, but doesn't rely on it. A show of condtradictions, but not a lot, because then the audience will get confused.
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003