The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2020, 10:48 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Default Nate the Great fixes Voyager

Before I start the actual entries, I'd like to talk about my ground rules. If anyone has a suggestion for more, feel free.

* The initial shuttle compliment varies by source, but I'm going to average things out and be generous and state that there are two Type 8's (the larger ones, crew of three or four) and four Type 9's (the smaller ones, crew of one or two). Plus Neelix's ship the Baxial, Delta Flyer, Alice, etc. I'll assume that the short construction time of the Delta Flyer was due to the urgent circumstances and most of the ship's energy and computational power was devoted to the task. I'll be generous and say that under normal circumstances Voyager can replace a shuttle every six months. I will be maintaining a shuttle tally in episodes that contain them.

* Photon torpedoes are replaceable. It was stupid to assume that they weren't.
* Janeway is sane. Period. She's not the Mary Sue that Jeri Taylor wants her to be, but she's rational. She's not burdened by guilt because...
* Using the Caretaker array to return home wasn't an option, and Janeway did not strand the crew in the Delta Quadrant. Nobody accuses her of this.

* The Maquis will be a continual plotline. Not every episode, but often. Furthermore, they aren't anti-Federation because the Starfleet officers keep trying to make them follow the rules of how to operate a starship correctly, they're anti-Federation because they feel the Federation abandoned them. Which the Federation didn't, the DMZ residents at this point consist solely of colonists who abandoned their Federation citizenship in order to stay on their planets. Which was stupid as I've covered elsewhere, but I won't repeat my argument here.

* Janeway doesn't have to be the main character every episode. If a given episode premise can be done equally well by one of the others, it will be.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.