The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 06-09-2003, 09:34 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, it's not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be, and is certainly an improvement on SFC's [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0]. To be honest I haven't read the book for some time and my recolection is somewhat hazy, but overall I felt it was a fairly good representation. Â There [iost_uid0]were[/iost_uid0] still some plot 'redistributions' that take place (mostly in its last third), but nothing overly major.

Don't worry - I still think SFC is evil. It's going to take a lot better than this to convince me otherwise.[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Someone told me a few days back that [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] is also a book. I didn't know that. :O
I saw the movies, and I [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] is way better than [iost_uid0]Children of Dune[/iost_uid0].
But that might just be me.

The thing is, if I want to read a good book in English, I'll have to buy it or borrow it from someone, but the library probably won't have it. [/colorost_uid0]

I'm not the devil, I just work for her.

What spoon? There is no spoon. According to Zeke, it's a cat. ~NeoMatrix

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Sa'ar Chasm: Too far south you hit Belgium.
catalina marina: Not in Limburg you don't.
Sa'ar Chasm: You do if you go south in the right way.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:16 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]You [iost_uid0]didn't[/iost_uid0] know [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] was a book?

I'm going to have to go and have a lie down.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Surfin' you say?

Send a message via ICQ to catalina_marina Send a message via AIM to catalina_marina Send a message via MSN to catalina_marina Send a message via Yahoo to catalina_marina

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes, well. I saw it on tv a long time ago, and my brother downloaded [iost_uid0]Children of Dune[/iost_uid0] just recently. Besides that, I'd never heard of it.[/colorost_uid0]

"Apparently we're on the wrong side. Or the right side if you like winning." ~Spike

Old 06-10-2003, 04:57 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Which [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] did you see? The Lynch film (starring the likes of Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif, Dean Stockwell, Max von Sydow, Kyle Maclachlan, and Jurgen Prochnow among others) or the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series (starring William Hurt and a bunch of people you've never heard of)?[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It was the mini-series.
Is William Hurt the one that plays Luke Skywalker? :S In which case, yes.
Really, I don't know any of those acters. Except of course Patrick Stewart, but I'm certain he wasn't in it.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-10-2003, 05:33 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

[color=#000000ost_uid0]No, William Hurt was most definitely [iost_uid0]not[/iost_uid0] the actor who played Luke Skywalker. That was Mark Hamil.

Keeping that sarcasm free (not Sa-ar Chasm, you nerks) was a lot harder than you might imagine.

Anyway - get the book. Seriously. It's worth it even if you just read [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] rather than any of the others. I myself have all of them, includiung the prequels, but then I'm a bit of a [iost_uid0]Dune[/iost_uid0] nut to say the least.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Okay I'll read it. I just found someone who has it... And someone who says I should watch the [iost_uid0]other[/iost_uid0] movie.
Anyway, not before I finish Icewind Dale [/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-10-2003, 11:21 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I believe Pointy and I disagree on the Lynch version, but if you like Brad Dourif it's worth seeing... although he dies pretty quickly.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-11-2003, 05:16 AM
Surfin' you say?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]If Brad Dourif dies quickly, it must mean he's Paul's father... I think.
I can't see Patrick Stewart as Paul, so is he like... the bad guy?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 06-11-2003, 04:21 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Actually, Dourif is one of the bad guys - he is excellently creepy as Piter de Vries. Prochnow is Paul's father Leto, and Stewart plays (again, rather well I think) Guerney Halleck. Kyle Maclachlan plays the part of Paul.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Brad Dourif just about ONLY plays sociopaths. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-11-2003, 09:58 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, there are two movies I can remember that he didn't play a bad guy in. Well, he sorta was in one, but not psycopathic in any way. In [iost_uid0]Murder in the First[/iost_uid0] he's the brother of the main character and a lawyer. The other was some fairly lame comedy that I can't remember the name of where he played a really obtuse scientist. Not an evil one though.[/colorost_uid0]

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 06-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Primal

[quoteost_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"][color=#000000ost_uid0]and Stewart plays (again, rather well I think) Guerney Halleck.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I saw a picture of that and was surprised to see that he actually had a little bit of hair.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 06-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Most of his GOOD roles, anyway.

Actually, his B5 role was a bit of a departure. He played a "good guy" who WAS a homicidal sociopath.

He was in Myst III, too. Playing a crazy guy who wanted to kill Atrus.[/colorost_uid0]