The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 03-22-2003, 04:53 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Seems like it's about time to discuss ENT's next February episode. This time it's "Future Tense".

For those who don't remember, this involves Enterprise finding a future spaceship with a dead mostly human in it (in contrast to a mostly dead human). Both the Suliban and the Tholians try to claim it and there are a number of weird time distortions in the episode. The Tholians and Suliban go at each other at the end and the Tholians kick butt.

This was definitely my favorite of the Feb episodes. It just clicked. I liked the Tholians, I liked their slightly odd communications method with the clicks and pops in it. They had sweet ships.

I liked the "Cause and Effect" moments in the episode. I liked Reed and Trip as they repeat the same conversation and get more and more deja vued by it. Archer and Reed was a little annoying; I really just wanted them to finish the bomb. I also liked how they arm the bomb, but their plan doesn't work, the Tholians disable it and would likely have kept the vessel if not for whoever in the future.

I liked Trip and Reed exploring the shuttle. The inside being bigger than the outside was both confusing and really interesting. One thing about that scene that really impressed me was the way they were opening the hatch with tools that don't seem that uncommon to us today. On other Treks, getting to the appropriate system was never harder than just going to a panel and lifting it off. Here Trip and Reed had to unscrew the portal door and when they lifted it, it looked like it was heavy. I was really impressed. It seemed so fitting for the time period.

Of course, all the references were great. I liked the allusions to Zefram. I liked the Tholians. Having that human be the product of a Vulcan and a Human was great as well.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed this episode. What did anyone else think?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-22-2003, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Things Are Good

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I definitely agree that this was the best of the February episodes, for the reasons mentioned above.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Last of the ko fighters

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yes, I think this was one of the best episodes ever. I kinda like all time-travel-like episodes, but the deja-vu scenes in this one were new to me. Great ep![/colorost_uid0]