Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 08-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

Great minds, Z, great minds.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

Prophecy? Erg! Right. I don't know if the full thing was ever said, but here's the bit from OotP:

'The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...'

There it is, exactly as Dumbledore's memory shows it. The first two and the first half of the second one refer to who it will be. 'Power the Dark Lord knows not' is where it takes a turn for Cornysville--as Dumbledore says, the power Harry has that Voldemort does not is love. (Cliché much?) The next part is very obvious--one must kill the other, and we all know who will kill whom. The last part is a summary of the first bits.

Kinda disappointing. I thought there'd be more clues in there.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 08-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Well, I can finally post here. I was very slow to get on board the Harry Potter train, but I've now read all six books and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Snape is totally not evil. But I bet Harry will kill him anyway and not find out till later that he was wrong.
Yay! We have another Snape-is-not-totally-evil fan! *does the Snape-is-not-totally-evil dance*
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 PM
More something than this cat

Send a message via MSN to KillerGodMan Send a message via Skype™ to KillerGodMan

^huzaa!

...what? You don't believe I'm a Snape-is-not-evil person?

Well I guess I'll just live WITHOUT an avatar then!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Snape is totally not evil. But I bet Harry will kill him anyway and not find out till later that he was wrong.
Nono, Snape is going to save Harrys life! And then he'll realize everything and be able to defeat you know who. I also think Dumbledore is going to come back in some shape or form. Though he's definatly dead.

But for those of you trying to convert the others on the Snape is good/Dumbledor's not dead thing, try this site.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZer0
Sure. Bellatrix Lestrange is one of the top Death Eaters, isn't she? Wonder what Lestrange means...
It's French for "the strange", just like letable is "the table" and "lebasket" is "the basket" :wink: (Unbelievably, I got an "A" grade in GSCE French :wink: )

Anyhoo, I finally managed to read the book and loved it; as usual. The woman can write, I'll give her that.

I would NEVER have remembered Sirius' brother had you lot not reminded me. And I didn't guess about Snape being the HBP AND I didn't guess Dumbledore would die.

This is why I don't read mysteries :wink:
Old 08-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Lestrange can also be broken down to "Les etranges," meaning "the foreigners" or "the outsiders."
Old 08-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

I was kidding :wink: :mrgreen:
Old 08-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Ah, but not entirely incorrect.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

I've gotten a little better at guessing what J. K. is up to -- for example, this time I figured out quite quickly that Dumbledore was the target, not Harry. I was wrong about the Half-Blood Prince, though. I was sure that was Voldemort -- he's a half-blood, he gives himself titles, he has great magical skill, and he was at Hogwarts at the right time. I had a niggling feeling that that was too easy, though. (My second guess was Lily Evans, whose history and specialties we don't know much about.)

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 AM

I knew Harry wouldn't die, what with book 7 to come an' all :wink:

But I thought Snape would die...I guess that could happen in the next book.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Last of the ko fighters

On her site, JK Rowling said that the Half Blood Prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort (or Tom Riddle.) So I knew it wasn't one of them. I though it would be a new character, though.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

I can't believe no one has started or added to this thread yet. Have you people seen the movie or what!!! It was, teh good. Lemme just say, that I got a little teary eyed, with Mister Radcliff's acting job after task number 3. He has turned into a fine actor there. Very well done.

Too bad they had to cut so much of the book. I missed SPEW and Sirius. Ahh well, still excellent. I'll be standing in line to buy the DVD.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

I actually didn't know this thread was here. First, I'd like to throw in my lot with the Snape-ain't-such-a-bad-guy crew. Second, I loved it. It was exactly like reading a copy of the book which had been devoured by termites, spit back out, and reassembled with the scotch tape of one mention subplots and speciel effects. Not that it wasn't good. I have done Contillion, not that I remember anything we "learned" or anything, and dancing with the teacher, who had to be at least four hundred years old was the scariest thing I have ever done. As for the DVD, don't know that I'll buy it, but I'll rent it once or twice.

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste
I can't believe no one has started or added to this thread yet. Have you people seen the movie or what!!! It was, teh good. Lemme just say, that I got a little teary eyed, with Mister Radcliff's acting job after task number 3. He has turned into a fine actor there. Very well done.

Too bad they had to cut so much of the book. I missed SPEW and Sirius. Ahh well, still excellent. I'll be standing in line to buy the DVD.
I'm seeing it on an IMAX screen tomorow!

EDIT: I saw it yesterday, and it's really good, but it's more "Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournament"-it misses a lot of side-plots, making some characters non-existent or only two-dimensional. It's still really good, though, especially Ralph Fiennes. Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman are great, even though they don't have a multitude of lines-their acting is so good it they don't need words at all. There is some interesting accents from the other schools-it seems that while they were trying to get some consistency in the Eastern European accents, they sort of end up being non-consistent individually. (Krum and Karkaro ffhad accents that changed to and fro from a Russian, German, and Swedish accents, rather than just settling on, say, Western Russian or something)

I give it an "A" as "Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournment", and "B-" or "C+' (depending on your purity level) as book-pure "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire".
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003