The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Default Sa'ar Chasm, Master of Science

Bite my shiny M.Sc.! Woooo!

My defence went well. I was told I did a good job, and one of my committee members made a point of shaking my hand on his way out the door and telling me that I made a strong defence. Turns out all that nervous worrying I did in the week leading up to it wasn't necessary.

I am now officially an ex-grad student. I've just typed that sentence, but it hasn't really sunk in. Maybe once I do the corrections required by the committee and submit the final final version, it will.

So, yeah, go me. *beams*
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

Nice! What was it on, if a first-semester high school chem student would understand, Oh Great One.

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm View Post
My defence went well. I was told I did a good job, and one of my committee members made a point of shaking my hand on his way out the door and telling me that I made a strong defence. Turns out all that nervous worrying I did in the week leading up to it wasn't necessary.
I suspect that if you had found a way to skip the "nervous worrying" part, there would have come into play a little-known and seldom-invoked clause that would disallow the whole schmeer. ("What? No sweat?! Oh, no, no, no -- I'm terribly sorry, but that just won't do! Quite against the rules, don't you see?")

Well-done, Sirrah!

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Staff

Quote:
What was it on, if a first-semester high school chem student would understand, Oh Great One.
Magnetic Field Enhancement of the Rate of Photogeneration of Silver Nanoparticles.

Basically, I take a bunch of chemicals, shine a light on them, and they turn yellow. If I do it while said chemicals are sitting between the business ends of an electromagnet, it turns yellow faster.

Quote:
"What? No sweat?! Oh, no, no, no -- I'm terribly sorry, but that just won't do! Quite against the rules, don't you see?"

Well-done, Sirrah!
Are you sure you're not British? *g*

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Congrats, Sa'ar. An important step on your way to master of the universe.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 AM
You just activated his Trek card

McKay: Now, see, sadly I understood that. Where did those Saturday nights go?

Just an old standby when people start talking geekspeak.

It is really a bit sad how many theses can sound simple when condensed down to one sentence but are in fact insanely complicated.

The business ends of an electromagnet. Oh, so you put it in the highway between downtown and the suburban branch?

Um, just curious, but why would you want to turn particles yellow faster? Because they're there?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Staff

Quote:
It is really a bit sad how many theses can sound simple when condensed down to one sentence but are in fact insanely complicated.
114 pages and counting. It'll increase when I do my corrections and put in the various bits my committee requires.

Quote:
The business ends of an electromagnet. Oh, so you put it in the highway between downtown and the suburban branch?
Something like that, yeah.

Quote:
Um, just curious, but why would you want to turn particles yellow faster? Because they're there?
Other people can make nanoparticles in anywhere from tens of minutes to hours. I can do it in 30 seconds...without the magnet. With the magnet, saving a couple of seconds really doesn't make that much of a difference, but other systems may benefit from it. The other benefits are that I can do it at room temperature and not get aggregated agglomerates.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:16 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Yikes. 114 pages. Longest paper I ever wrote was twenty, and it wasn't even scientific. I suppose grad school will cure me of that.

Aggregated agglomerates. Somehow drunk corporate mascots slugging it out come to mind.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.