The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Long fellow

Default Is anyone following the New Plan to Save Enterprise?

This is such complete madness that I figure it has to appeal to some fellow members of the Fiver community:

This is from the TrekBBS thread (http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showf...Number=3952274) that came within a hair of crashing the server yesterday:

Quote:
LET THE FANS PAY FOR ENTERPRISE!

On trekweb, a poster broke down some numbers assuming 1.6 million per episode: $1,600,000 an episode times 22 episodes comes out to $35,200,000 for a season. $35,200,000 divided by 3,000,000 viewers is $11.74 each. He suggested we contribute to pay for Season 5, a great idea! 3 million has been the average for Season 4. $11.74? Let's round it to $12.00 even x 3 mil equals $36,000,000.00 for Season 5. I spend 12 bucks on Domino's Pizza!

Let's put our money where our hearts, minds and mouths are and start a fund to pay for the cost of Season 5. We need a central website and Saveenterprise is just the place. I support letter writing and buying ads as much as the next guy but desparate times calls for desparate measures so along with the writing campaign, phone calls to CBS and Paramount, protest at the offices, let's do something that's never been done before: THE FANS PAY FOR SEASON 5! The cancellation of Enterprise hasn't gotten any attention except for a blurb in the entertainment sections of the papers so let's shake things up and get some publicity!

CBS/Viacom, UPN, Paramount are all saying Enterprise is cost prohibitive to renew...ok, fine, we the fans want the show to come back, we'll pay for it! I don't want to make demands like fire Rick Berman or hire Shatner for an episode, that would stink of extortion. My only demand would be for Manny Coto and Reeves-Stevens to remain in the same capacity.
We'll get criticism from the press that we are willing to pony up cash for a TV show but not for Tsunami victims...hey, I've donated to the tsunami victims and others, my conscience is clear. I think its worth contributing 12 bucks to a series that's just hitting its stride and then getting prematurely de-railed!

Let's cut the crying Enterprise fans and put the grief and anger aside. Be proactive, we need to UNITE- best place is saveenterprise- and lay it on the line. According to another thread we have until the end of March, that's when the sets are chopped down, the cast are released from their contracts, etc. Again my friends, THE PUBLICITY ALONE WOULD CREATE BUZZ FOR ENTERPRISE! Headlines would read "FANS DONATE MONEY TO SAVE SERIES!"

USA Today wrote last year..."Never underestimate the power of a trekkie!" Goddamn right...I'm willing to donate $12 to raise funds for Season 5, who's with me?
Similar threads have popped up on the saveenterprise, trekweb, stuniverse, and startrek.com forums. I have literally sat and watched messages appear pledging a total of thousands of dollars, and, I'm told, there is far more on Tim (Saveenterprise founder)'s e-mail server.

A central domain is being set up as I write, with a secure server for donations.

Call me an optimist, but it is not yet the time to give up hope!

Stay tuned...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

I have no IDEA how to react to this.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-09-2005, 04:28 AM
Not to be confused with Kodax

Send a message via ICQ to Xeroc Send a message via AIM to Xeroc Send a message via Yahoo to Xeroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I have no IDEA how to react to this.
I'll agree to that statement!

Xeroc Central

5MChat: PHP/JS Chat 2.0
Click here to view the chat in progress!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

I can't help but wonder how many of the people pledging large sums of money donate to charities...
Old 02-09-2005, 05:40 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

It's a valid point -- but I can't help but wonder if those making it donate to charities either. And if not, whether that bothers them when they pay to watch movies and such.

However, I take this point more seriously here than I did during the SaveEnterprise ad campaigns. We're talking about a LOT more money this time. That's one of the reasons I find this pay-it-yourself plan somewhat unsettling.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

I hate to be the voice of doom here, but every time other people try to so much as borrow the rights for Doctor Who from the Beeb post the '89 cancellation, they turned down the offers. I have nothing against trying, but I thought I'd better just say that this kind of stuff has been tried before, and it doesn't necessarily work.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Here are my questions, which I'm sure have been raised in the threads mentioned, but I haven't read them.

1. Has Paramount been officially asked about this? I somehow don't think showing up at their door with $36 million will necessarily guarantee a 5th season. I can see Paramount's lawyers getting scared by the idea of a fan-funded 5th season and then turn down the idea.

2. Are the people making pledges really going to go through with it or are they not going to pay later?

3. Are the people already donating money going to get their money back if it fails? If not, who will get the money?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:38 PM
5MAwwwwww

Send a message via AIM to admiral sab Send a message via Yahoo to admiral sab

um I paid 700 dollars this past year for Voyager DVD's. The way I see it... I've more than paid my dues already. I'm not giving anymore money to Paramount or Trek. Maybe it's wrong of me, but I've bought movies and magazines and Trek dolls! Dude. I paid to see Nemesis in the movie theatre! They owe me!

Ok sorry for the harshness. The fans that want to do this, great! I'll watch Season 5! But as for me, I can't see myself donating money to this when I have a family to think about. Of course I never bought a Kirk autograph off Ebay for 300 dollars! Or been to a convention and paid over a thousand dollars.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Admiral, that's perfectly sensible, not harsh. Real life has to come first, not TV, ultimately.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Hey, petitions got Family Guy back on the air. Just remember that!

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

Syndicated reruns beating some first-run shows in the ratings and millions of dollars in DVD sales got Family Guy back on the air.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:46 PM
But if you put the hammer in an elevator...

The new site is TrekUnited. Yes, they already have a lawyer on board. I think they've made overtures to Paramount. Tim says WRITE SCIFI NOW because they are also interested but they want to see what the fan base does. If the effort fails, I believe the figure is 97% of the money will be refunded to the donors. There's a FAQ on the TrekBBS and I imagine it'll be up on the TrekUnited site in a few days.

Yes, I donate to charity, local and national, every year. Yes, I donated to the tsunami relief effort. Donating to help pay for a S5 will likely be mostly symbolic, but if you already have an entertainment budget (junk food, movies, magazines, CDs, MP3s) then you already have spare money if you wanted to donate to this cause.

I would rather go down fighting and know that I did whatever I could to keep ENT on the air than shrug my shoulders and let Les F*cking Moonves tell me what I can and cannot watch.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Where's a dental hygienist when you need one?

Send a message via AIM to stripysox Send a message via MSN to stripysox

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral sab
I paid to see Nemesis in the movie theatre! They owe me! .
LOL My thoughts exactly!

I think its a lovaly idea, it realy does show devotion. However I personaly have no plans to donate money to a TV show however much I like it. I have (and will continue to) written letters on behalf of ENY, but thats my limit. Although if it does work I'll feel guilty about watching it becaus I didn't help out.

I don't have the money anyway, so thats an academic point.

Does anyone know if this has been tryed before?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
5MAwwwwww

lol after reading the Trip/T'Polers forum and a few other threads about this I'm now convinced I might want to send in money. (stupid hormones!) Of course I just want to send money so we can show those people that they can't control what we watch. LOL give me an hour and my mind may change again. Who knows?! Will spare change help? How about I go around collecting all the pocket change I can find... cash that in and that's how much I'll donate to the cause.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira
Syndicated reruns beating some first-run shows in the ratings and millions of dollars in DVD sales got Family Guy back on the air.
Well, yes. That helps too. ►_►

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Good heavens! This must be stopped at once! Don't you see, once the networks pick up on the idea, that means that if they get a show with a bit fan following on their hands, all they need to do is threaten to cancel it and then just watch the money pour in! It's madness, I tell you!

- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 02-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Where's a dental hygienist when you need one?

Send a message via AIM to stripysox Send a message via MSN to stripysox

One more thing. Even if paramount says yes to s5, it will take some time to sort out. Wont the actors have other work lined up by then?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Former Staff

Not if the casting agents have seen their work on Enterprise. *rimshot*

I kid, I kid. In all honesty, I think the best shot for the series to survive would be if SciFi picks it up... and considering what I've seen from that network so far, I suspect the series would improve several times over.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
5MAwwwwww

I agree. I think I'm going to concentrate on emailing/mailing Sci fi network. It's less costly!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Long fellow

Whoo... lots of questions. The TrekUnited.com forum is now up, by the way, but they're busy trying to hammer out the PayPal accounts (which, I believe, gurantee 99-100% refund in case of failure.

From the TrekUnited FAQ:

Quote:
Why contribute to a TV show and not to aid organizations?
It's not an either/or option really. Many people, among them dedicated Trekkers and people from this campaign, are supporting aid organizations and their great work to help people in poverty around the world. But independent from that each day people spend alot of money on entertainment products, cinema, superficial things, anyway. To use just a little of this money (what equals to one cheap DVD or CD) to keep the show you like on the air, isn't a bad cause then either, is it?
Shoot. This was to be a long note, but dinner. Later!