The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News

Old 02-16-2006, 04:15 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Default February 15

Starting tomorrow we'll be focusing on one subsite for a while, so I want to get a couple of things moving beforehand.
    [*]First, here's Derek's latest SV fiver, "Tomb."[*]

Second, I've started two important threads in the 5M.net Talk forum. Be sure to check those out. One is for eTrektion candidates, but the other is something on which I need as many readers' input as possible.[*]

Third, my Fans! CDs arrived today! Attentive readers will know of my love for Fans!, a brilliant webcomic by T Campbell. It ended its remarkable five-year run last April, and T recently announced that the archive CDs would no longer be available for purchase, so I got them while I could. (The archives are also available online; you need a GraphicSmash subscription, but if you haven't read Fans!, the subscription is more than worth it for that comic alone.)

To mark the occasion, I'm publishing something here that I wrote when the comic ended: The Top 10 Problems Rikk, Ally, and Rumy Are Going to Have. The context is as follows: the longest-running plot thread in the comic was the love triangle between protagonists Rikk, Alisin, and Rumiko. In the last week of strips, T resolved this triangle in an extremely unexpected way, creating his biggest controversy to date. I was an active participant in the debate (on the negative side -- I thought, and still think, all three of them were out of character), and at one point, to inject a little levity, I wrote this Top 10 list poking fun at the whole thing.

I didn't post it here at the time because it makes no sense to non-Fans!-fans. I'm posting it now for three reasons: I think it's one of my funniest lists ever, the arrival of my CDs felt like a sign, and there's precedent now for hopelessly obscure T10s. Enjoy -- unless you haven't read Fans! and intend to, because this'll spoil you stupid.[/list]Be here tomorrow for a VERY special weeklong event, of a sort we've never done before. Let's just say Drusilla would call it the best party ever.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

So the strip pulled an I Will Fear No Evil? It sounds really confusing.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Lex: (on phone) No, look, I'm looking for Fine. ...Fine! ...No, I'm feeling agitated, but I want Fine! ...Penalty money? No, look, it's very simple: I want Fine. Just find Fine, okay?
Urge to kill...moderate. You live this time, Dean.

Quote:
Clark: (muttering) Of course there's kryptonite. There's always kryptonite.
Second most abundant substance in the universe after hydrogen - third if you count stupidity.

Quote:
Chloe/Gretchen: Quiet, you. You're not supposed to know about that.
Clark: Honestly, I don't see how I possibly couldn't know about that.
There's something caked on my screen from this scene. It looks like irony.

Quote:
Lex: Yes, Belle Reve is good. Nothing bad happened there. I loved it.
Clark: Why does your face always go blank when you say that?
*snicker*

Quote:
Evil Mwahaha-Orderly Villain: In touch? How about I touch you now? With chloroform?
Lois: Mmurrglermumphleba.
Chloroform. Is there anything it can't do? (I meant apart from dissolve hydrophillic compounds.)

Quote:
Chloe/Gretchen: Sorry, it was either that or "Chloe-form me too."
OK, *now* you die.

Quote:
Yes, good has been done here. Tune in next week to see if I still refer to Clark as "our hero."
*znerk*

Top hole, Derek. (I think that means it's good.)
Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Outnumbered

Send a message via MSN to e of pi

That or you're playing skeeball.

e of pi: I know you have too much free time.
Ddoof: HEY!
e of pi: Well, so does anyone who posts on 5M.net. It comes from the extra 55 minutes.

We are the BSG. Your resources and injokes wil be added to our own, depleting your fanbase. Resistance is futile. So say we all.
Member of the Persons Who Believe that Ryan Connors Leslie Should Have Lines in Other Series Since He's Hardly In TOS Fivers
Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
So the strip pulled an I Will Fear No Evil?
If that means polyamory, yes. What the characters formed is called a "vee", i.e. two relationships with one partner shared; this explains a couple of the jokes in my list. One of the unfortunate things about sf fandom is that arrangements like this are way more common than in the general population (and their proponents are quick to call bigotry on anyone uncomfortable with them).

Also, it must be said....

Quote:
Lois: This girl wasn't the first one or the last. The police have apparently found other girls buried inside other walls.
Clark: But no amontillado?
Lois: How can you think of drinking at a time like this?
For the love of God, Montresor!

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction