The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Default Shoulda Been a Two-Parter

This thread is to talk about what Trek episodes were shortchanged by being crammed into only forty-something minutes when there was room for much more.

The City on the Edge of Forever.
No question. More time should've been spent on the discovery of the Guardian of Forever. Part One could've ended on McCoy waking up at Edith's. Part Two could've had more of the Kirk/Edith courtship, maybe the formation of a love triangle. Edith would've still loved Kirk, but McCoy would have more time to try wooing her.

The Inner Light
So I'm biased toward this one. I'd've like two parts to actually give the E-D time to GO to Kataan (having Picard under for like twelve hours) and find the ruins of the probe launcher, a few more artifacts. More time for Picard to recover, maybe a glance from Crusher when she hears that he had a family, that sort of thing. They even had the perfect cliffhanger with the termination of the beam and Picard going into shock.

Yesterday's Enterprise
With two parts we could've met a Worf that was working for the Klingons but still wanted peace. He probably would've never met with anyone from the Enterprise except maybe Guinan, but tying in more of the Narendra Three/Worf backstory together would've been fun. Heck, we could've had a Michael Dorn cameo as his own father at the outpost.

Distant Origon
Oh yeah, this is up there. More backstory on Galen, more observation of the Voyager crew, had Chakotay kidnapped at the end of Part One.

Comments?

We could even go the other way, with two-parters that shoulda been only one. None come to mind, except maybe turning the Circle trilogy of DS9 into a two-parter.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Hobbesian

Location: We're......Everywhere! Wait wait wait... That's the Founders. No, I'm just in Hastings
Send a message via MSN to Burt

Funny enough, I was thinking about this subject the other day. I did have a friend that moaned about 'Living Witness'. He said it had to have a another part. I thought about it but to be honest, I think that would destroy the mystery about the episode. I've looked at other voyager eps, but I can't really find any I think should be 2 parters.
However, there is a few on TNG...
-Q-Who - Come on, this would be perfect. A nice long set up....and more of a Borg/Enterprise chase/fight, to show the utter desperateness (is that a word?) of the crew against the cube..
- Yesterdays Enterprise - Yep it's been said before, and I'm saying it again! This would be perfect too. I like the idea of Wolf being the leader of one of the attacking Klingon Birds of Prey...
House Quote of the Day!
"I was curious. But since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous to me." Dr House MD
I don't think that metaphor was actually designed to warn cats.
Dr Wilson MD (Just)
-------------------------------------------------
Old 02-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Okay, I don't know how the topic got duplicated, except to say that my computer hiccuping while online is hardly a new experience.

Q Who would've worked only if they got the new BoBW Borg in there. The old-fashioned Q Who Borg were a little boring. I would've liked a scene between just Guinan and Q, with a few more hints as to the true nature of Guinan's powers and how they met in the past. For that matter, I wonder if Guinan and the Traveler have met. In the Q Continuum books it's mentioned that he's met Q (the race, not necessarily John Delancie) before.

For the sheer fun factor, A Piece of the Action. No real need for dramatic or storytelling reasons, but getting more of the crew onto Sigma Iota would be fun.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability View Post
Okay, I don't know how the topic got duplicated...
Um, it's a two-parter?

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Okay, I don't know if that's really witty or really lame. Not that there can't be an overlap, but still...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Wasn't Worf on the outpost that got attacked at Narendra III? And doesn't it get destroyed in the 'Yesterday's Enterprise' timeline? If that's so, wouldn't he be dead? If I'm missing something, please tell me what it is.