The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 11:28 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000:post_uid0]

Zeke here. Hope you all had a happy Easter; if you missed the special version of the site's banner Ki and I made, you can see it here.

Three of my five exams are now over and I have some major updates on the go. In the meantime, here are a few smaller things:
    [*]There was an error in last Monday's update. The wrong alias was listed for the author of the "Whispers" fiver; the correct alias is Captain Carnotaur. 5MV apologizes for the mistake.[*]Laura Goodwin, a familiar face at alt.tv.star-trek.enterprise and other Usenet groups, recently interviewed me.[*]My final VVS9 episode, "Whirligig" (formerly "Once More Into the Breach"), is now online in the Features section.[/list]That's all for now, but stay tuned: I'm nearly done the "Horizon" fiver, and I don't intend to be late with it.[/color:post_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]For what it's worth, the updated name isn't on the DS9 main page.

Nice interview, [bost_uid0]Zeke[/bost_uid0]. I'm glad you started this whole 5MV thing.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]The wrong alias was listed for the author of the "Whispers" fiver; the correct alias is Captain Carnotaur. 5MV apologizes for the mistake.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well that's at least one indicator that I'm not going insane. When I did the update, I looked at the fiver, which said "Captain Carnotaur," did all the pages accordingly, but when I looked back at the fiver it said "Shinzon" so I ran back and changed them all.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Maybe Shinzon is his (her?) Nemesis.

(Runs)[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:33 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Maybe it's just me, IJD, but I haven't been able to see your avatar in a while. Is the server having problems?[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 04-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's not just you Z, I haven't seen it in a while either.

And wonderful interview -- and yes, you keep your talents in humour quite acutely sharp [/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 04:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wonko The Sane Send a message via AIM to Wonko The Sane Send a message via MSN to Wonko The Sane

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]Well, I can't divulge the whole formula, but it involves a Morn action figure and two scoops of mustard-flavoured sherbet.[/quoteost_uid0]
The hilarity never ends! :lol:
Great interview, Zeke.
Oh, and IJD, I havn't seen your avatar for many moons now.

P.S. Now I feel guilty for bugging Zeke so many times about guest fivers.[/colorost_uid0]

Bears are crazy, they\'ll bite your head off if you\'re wearing steak on it.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:31 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Mustard-flavoured...?

Tehehehe. Good times. Very entertaining interview, Zekey.

~Nan[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Great interview Zeke!

A question about the website it's on: I've often seen, in various contexts, variations of the phrase "All your [fill in the blank] belongs to us." I assume that it's a reference to a line from a movie or TV show that I've never seen, so I was wondering where it comes from. Could someone shed some light on this for me?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]"All your base are belong to us."

It's from a video game. Most of the text in the game sounds like it was translated from Japanese into the worst possible English (cf. Hoshi in Five Minute Shockwave).

Other lines include 'Someone has set us up the bomb' and...uhh...something else.

A more detailed explanation is sure to follow from someone with a better memory than me.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]It's actually from an old Japanese videogame whose translators apparently used a Chinese-to-English dictionary by mistake. I've seen a link or two to full explanations, but I don't have any on hand right now.[/colorost_uid0]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 04-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The line comes from the game "Zero Wing". You can get an idea of the game by looking here:
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

In an interesting bit of synchronicity, that line appeared nearly simultaneously in both Zeke's Homestead fiver and Jim Wright's synopsis for the ame episode.

Enjoyed the interview, Zeke.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Funny story -- Boomspeed yelled at me for TOS violations. This confused me to no end, until it was explained later that TOS stood for "terms of service" (I wasn't using it for advertising on Ebay, or something).

I just never turned it off because of laziness/wishful thinking.[/colorost_uid0]

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!