The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback
Default Stargate: Atlantis

Anybody get to see the new Stargate spinoff yet? I'm a huge fan of SG-1 - they did such a brilliant job of creating a setting, great long plot arcs, wonderful episodes, and all with this great sense of fun and near-normalcy.

I was glad when I heard about Atlantis, because I think the Stargate series can be epic enough to do a good job with spinoffs. Now I see it's actually began; I haven't seen it yet, but I hope I'll get my hands on at least the pilot soon. I was curious if anybody else has some initial thoughts on the new series so far.
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I fell in the pit
You fell in the pit
We all fell in the piiiiit

I have not heard of it yet

here in germany they start a series (for example stargate) and then they cancel it
after a while they repeat from somewhere in the middle

it is so annoying....
the whole plot arc gets destroyed by that

it is not only stargate, also any other science fiction series like lexx, tng, tos, voy, ds9

but its really cool that they make a spinoff of stargate
I have to inform myself a little better now :wink:

edit: just looked at the site
are there some characters from the original series in the new one?
I discovered no one ...
Old 08-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Cursory

Send a message via MSN to Draknek

I think, but I could be wrong, that it's already started in America.

It says here that the UK will get it 12th October (on satellite channels).

I can wait two months.
<.<
>.>
I CAN wait two months.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldoof
are there some characters from the original series in the new one? I discovered no one ...
Yep. Doctor McKay guest-starred in a few episodes of SG-1.

Check Gateworld.net for more info.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:23 PM
La la la, I can't hear you

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

I heard about that too, and there is a big article in a Mag I bought about the new show...I'm not convinced. Guess it goes back to that whole fear of change thing I tend to suffer with.

Alexia, who wants things to always stay the same. Always. And if they do have to change, do it quickly, before I change my mind :wink:

I still can't beleive the killed Janet :cry:

But I will watch the show. With any luck I will love it as nearly as much as the original :mrgreen:
Old 08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
I fell in the pit
You fell in the pit

killed janet???? :shock:

when was janet killed??
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Alexia Send a message via AIM to Alexia Send a message via MSN to Alexia Send a message via Yahoo to Alexia

Ooops...I forgot to mention spoiler :roll: SORRY! It was in the latest series. I forgot some people might not have seen it ops:
Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 PM
I fell in the pit
You fell in the pit

I guess series 7 is the last one aired in germany but I am not sure

now the tv-station cancelled stargate
I am waiting for the next....
Old 08-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

Well, I've seen the first 5 episodes, and I'm pleased to say I enjoyed them very much. No spoilers, promise. They did an excellent job of kicking off the series - establishing the main characters, the new setting, the atmosphere, the basic story direction... and giving us a nice feeling of scope, really feeling like a colony with a couple hundred people and not just the five that actually have parts.

All the characters are fun; as of yet they lack personality somewhat (Yarr! We're valiant US military explorers!), but they're vivid and entertaining enough so that we aren't uninterested until their complexity is a bit more developed. I fear Teyla may prove an exception - she's the token "mystical outsider alien person", like Teal'c only female, and those characters are usually fairly somber and dull (*coughcoughChakotaycoughcough*), saying "Indeed" a lot and not much else. But so far, so good. The leads, Sheppard and Weir, are both great, and McKay is very funny.

Atmosphere - I really do like the sense of "We've basically got no idea what the heck we're doing here", stemming from the fact that the Atlantis base is messing around with a whole bunch of waaaaay-advanced technology they don't really know too much about. It's really very well done, and obviously going to be a major theme.

Enemies - I'm not sure how sold I am on the Wraith, who're the main enemy here. They don't seem nearly as kewl as the Gou'uld, or have half as much story potential. "Oh no... they regenerate!" Big whoop. The major encounter with them, in the primiere, had me going "neh." Oooooh, B-movie horror lifesuckers. I hope this aspect will be improving. But, they're doing an excellent job of kinda tiptoing around the Wraith - having episodes that mention and deal with things connected to the Wraith, without bringing in the Wraith themselves. That actually works to make the Wraith more ominous, and the world more real and interesting.

My one main concern is that Atlantis is leaning hazardouslyclose to Trekkie territory. Among all the ancient technology are also shuttlecraft and a wide array of tricorder-like devices. I do not want to see Stargate characters walking around and detecting anomalous graviton emissions. Episode 6 ("Childhood's End") begins with a team flying over a new planet in their shuttlecraft, until they run through an energy field and come crashing down. There are cliches and genre staples I know I'm going to see, but anything that seems "very Trek" is just a wee bit annoying. Especially since the premise of the series is "We're going to get stuck in a different galaxy, and who knows if we'll ever get home again," and colony governer Dr. Weir can look a heck of a lot like Janeway.

But I'm not too worried - so far, I think they're doing a great job, and I look forward to seeing what comes with time.

Note to MGM, or whoever's in charge of Atlantis: Next time, try putting in a few characters who's friggin' names can be spelled without looking them up.
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 10-20-2004, 06:54 AM

OK, being over the pond and therefore terribly behind, the 1st two eps have now aired. My opinion?

:mrgreen:

I love it! I thought I wouldn't, and my mum certainly didn't plan on liking it, but I think we all agree we have a new series to watch every week :mrgreen:

Plus *******AND THIS IS A SPOILER SO ANYONE WHO DOESNT WANT TO KNOW STOP READING NOW!**********

You so knew that bloke was gonna die. How else would Jac--I mean, John get to be in command? :wink:
Old 10-20-2004, 09:38 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

I quite enjoyed it too, I have to say. Man, we're lucky at the moment, aren't we? Season 8 of Stargate, the beginning of Stargate: Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica before anyone else, and in not too long a time at all, brand new Doctor Who.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 10-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Cursory

Send a message via MSN to Draknek

I like it too.

Sheppard is just such a cool character.

And yeah, I could tell straight away when I saw him that he was going to SPOILER. He's token military guy, but not a title character. Do the maths. Plus, I recognise the actor.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:43 PM

the gate is absoulutly wrong but the show is good all the same the doctor is the funniest person
Old 11-04-2004, 11:28 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

And he actually sounds Scottish! GASPGASPGASP!
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-05-2004, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
the gate is absoulutly wrong but the show is good all the same the doctor is the funniest person
"I hear you have a Kling-on" :lol: :lol: