The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > 5MV Talk

View Poll Results: 5MV Nomenclature Poll III - Why yes, I *am* overusing this name
www.five-minute.com 22 55.00%
www.fiveminute.net 13 32.50%
www.fiveminute.org 4 10.00%
Other (please post) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2004, 03:13 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah, except most people have already taken the one-word addresses by now.

There's also fiveminute.ca, too.

[quoteost_uid0="Kira"]I hate sites that have dashes and other weird stuff in their urls.[/quoteost_uid0]
Like I-Winterbourne.com or Working-Title.com? [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 04:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Trip Send a message via Yahoo to Trip

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Whoa. Trip, the mysterious visitor who never goes to the forum but checks the site daily and is STILL awaiting an e-mail from Zeke, has come to the forum to give his input. (Zeke, I have the fiver I ask permission to do in the e-mail done already, if you'd like to have a look)

I also dislike the hyphen. It looks nice, but it's hard to give out a name like that. I always get people who don't know what a 'dash' is and put in a slash. I'd just stick with alphabetical letters.

When I got my domain, www.quelorant.com (please check it out, it's a comedy site), I thought about getting something with dashes. When I asked the people who weren't as computer-literate, I realized that the simpler the better, not that Quelorant is easy to spell.

If you must know, it's a word I made up meaning 'bored.'

- Trip[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Primal

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I also agree that while the hyphenated version looks better, it's much easier to type, and give out the version without a hyphen in it.

I also prefer the '.net' ending. '.com' has always sounded rather... cold and detached to me, while '.net' has a hint of togetherness implied by the "network" association.

JMTCW. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 06:09 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Bizarre. Comment sentiment seems to be working toward the unhyphenated dot net, but the votes are going tothe dot com 3 to 1. Interesting phenomenon.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Why not get both?

That way, those who hate hyphens can type in the "counterculture" .net, and those who like hyphens can type in the .com.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-20-2004, 10:13 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I liked the Sci-Fivers suggestion, but I think it would be better without the hyphen.

Is scifivers.com taken? I think that would scan well...

scifivers.com/farscape
scifivers.com/andromeda
scifivers.com/enterprise

That works pretty well, IMHO.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Allow me to clarify with a flashback.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ah. I guess I am just missing something. It strikes me as silly for a registrar to register a name, but not actually perform the service of tying it with its IP.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Future's so bright ya gotta wear shades

Send a message via AIM to MmeBlueberry Send a message via Yahoo to MmeBlueberry

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I like five-minute.org. But I voted for five-minute.com.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Transformed Man

Send a message via ICQ to Standback Send a message via MSN to Standback Send a message via Yahoo to Standback

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I favor the .net, for the reasons others before me have already stated. When it comes to URLs, KISS is perhaps more important than "looks elegant".[/colorost_uid0]
--It\'s Walky!, David Willis
Old 03-20-2004, 06:46 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Odd. It's telling me that I've voted but I haven't. Anyway, my preference is for the .net domain name (though scifivers.com is pretty good too).[/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

[color=#000000ost_uid0]/Insert ProtoMan-type whistle here/

five-minute.com sounds good, but fiveminute.ca would be nice. Just so everyone knows it's Canadian. (As if a truly intelligent person could miss the 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes' references everywhere.)

I'm not sure the hyphen is such a good idea though. Some people have keyboards with weird characters in, and not everyone has a hyphen.

(The reason I don't go to JuPiter Station anymore, besides that I prefer working on  a site that has a 'ship I like, is there's a hyphen in the address.)[/colorost_uid0]

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 03-21-2004, 12:28 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I suspect you may consider the restrictions on .ca names annoying: https://secure.cancon.com/ca-types.html.

As for the registrar, I'd recommend http://www.gandi.net/. Â It's a registrar that has been created by geeks a while ago when domain names where $35/year to undercut the business, and it still shows. Â The domain is yours, there are no conditions nor fees to move to another registrar. Â Gandi can procide DNS services or not, as you wish. Â If they do, they can provide web and/or email redirections (no web space, no web mail, just redirections), or leave you in complete control of your domain. Â In particular, if your host has virtual hosting and is willing, you can extremely easily do things like http://enterprise.five-minute.com/ at no supplemental cost to anybody. Â And everything is handled through web forms that talk to perl scripts.

And in addition, they're french. Â Jean-Luc will be pleased.

OG.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-21-2004, 02:05 AM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]^ Cool site, galibert. Wish I had seen them before renewing my domain with namesecure.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-21-2004, 02:12 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Although I understand the recognition that a .com domain provides, I must also agree that it's more appropriate for a site like 5MV to get a .org domain, which is for non-profit sites in general. Â (I didn't realize that when I bought my own domain; go figure. )

I'll also like the domain either with or without the dash, either way doesn't matter to me.

Alternatively, Zeke, if you wait a few weeks (or months), you could get www.fiveminute.xxx instead. Â Think of the traffic [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0] domain might generate! [/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Know what would be cool? www.xxx.yyy/zzz hehehe[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:43 AM

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Would www.5minute.com work?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

[color=#000000ost_uid0]What about www.5minute.ca?[/colorost_uid0]
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003
Old 03-21-2004, 02:31 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Or you could confuse everybody by waiting and getting an .eu domain name. [/colorost_uid0]
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 03-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I hate websites that end in something other than .com, .org, .net this whole .co.uk and .com.au, and blech! I don't like it. lol Just don't do it Zeke! Don't give in to it![/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:37 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]To answer those who have suggested Sci-Fivers names like scifivers.com, there's a simple answer: if I wanted to do that, I'd just stick with the one I already have, sci-fivers.com.ar.

The points against hyphens are well taken, and I have to agree that I wouldn't mind having a URL I could just [iost_uid0]tell[/iost_uid0] people. (3sygma.com is awkward that way, and sci-fivers.com.ar even more so.) Due to this and the other arguments you guys have given, fiveminute.net is now in the lead for me, but I'll let this thread continue for a couple more days before I decide.

5minute.com is an interesting thought. I've never really liked using a 5 in the "five-minute" part, but it's shorter and the .com is available. I wish I'd thought of it for the poll. What do you guys think of 5minute.com as opposed to fiveminute.net?

I'm very happy at the turnout in this thread, by the way. Nice to see some of you less frequent posters. Speaking of which....

[quoteost_uid0]/Insert ProtoMan-type whistle here/[/quoteost_uid0]

ROFL! It's so good to have another Mega Man fan around here.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction