The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot

This show came out in the 70's in Japan and was badly overdubbed somewhere not in Japan by people who spoke very poor English.

It concerned a small japanese boy in tight shorts and backpack named Johnny who had a Giant Robot for a pet.

He and the robot were part of a team that fought an evil underwater Doctor named Doctor Atlantis or something.

Does anybody plan to sign the petition to release it on LASERDISC.

The plan is to get the Chinese to waste their time piarting discs nobody can play. :P :shock:
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

No offense, Ford, but it may be a good idea to lurk for a while before posting so many threads.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:17 AM
...and not cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
No offense, Ford, but it may be a good idea to lurk for a while before posting so many threads.
No offense, Nan, but how do you know Ihaven't been lurking for a while.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

I don't, but out 7 posts you've made, 4 are starting new threads, and I'm just saying it might be a better idea to participate in existing threads for a while before starting so many new ones.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:29 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Nan's right on this one, Ford. We could probably use more threads around here, but it's bad netiquette for one member to start several in a row. Just keep it in mind in future.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Also, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Suuuuuper genius

Send a message via AIM to MaverickZer0 Send a message via MSN to MaverickZer0 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickZer0

What's wrong with penguins? They're small, can be dyed a variety of colors including purple, and can be easily manipulated with enough fish.

No, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go and do it anyway.

*pokes avatar* Made by a good LJ friend. Thanks Ani!

Dark Blues: I'm going to kill you!
Enzan: Not if I kill me first!
Dark Blues: You...are aware my goal is accomplished either way, right?
Enzan: ...Yeah...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Nan's right on this one, Ford. We could probably use more threads around here, but it's bad netiquette for one member to start several in a row. Just keep it in mind in future.
I thought you were all meant to be mad around here.

Have i been misinformed? I happen to be a personal friend of Chancellor Valium and came here via his personal invite, thank you so much.

I'm also, ask the Chancellor, not a slave to 'netiquette,' and think that it is possibly even more bad form for established members such as yourself and Nan to start off criticizing a new member rather than welcoming him.

I shall see myself out, thank you.

No wonder they call it five minute forum. Five minutes here and you rub people the wrong way just because you want to rant like the rest of them.

Chah! I shall take my madness elsewhere.

But you are losing a prize loony in me, ask the Chancellor. :idea:
Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to richardson

I thought the punishment for posting too much was turning into a fox....

hmmm, okay, that's it. That's the last time I let another universe influence me!

Evil Emperor of the Black Isles.......

Yodck: The perfect Anti-Sith butt-whooping, going medival Jedi Master! (Complete with nerve pinches, and strange vulcan sayings spoken in yoda tounge.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllianceCommand/
The site of strange things.

I reject your reality and subsititute my own!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I thought you were all meant to be mad around here.
We are. We just don't like to scare new possibly-not-mad people away before they pass the Point Of No Return, so we have to act not-mad every once in a while

Back on the subject: Heh, sounds like an amusing show.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 02-04-2005, 05:16 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
I shall see myself out, thank you.
Whoa there, Ford. Don't you think you're overreacting here?

Before you leave in a huff (I definitely believe you're a friend of Valium's), reread those posts you're taking such exception to. Do they really sound to you like attacks? If you still think so, then just take my word for it that they were nothing of the sort. All we did was advise you not to start a lot of threads in a row. I'd have said the same to any other member.

You're right that I should have welcomed you, and for what it's worth, I do so now: welcome to the 5MV Forums. But I stand by my comments. No one asked you to be a "slave" to netiquette, just to keep it in mind. Refraining from eating soup with your hands doesn't make you a slave to table manners.

One final point: bear in mind that my favourite show, not to mention this site's main draw, was cancelled yesterday. I think if the worst thing I did was forget to welcome a new poster, I can be forgiven.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 02-04-2005, 07:46 PM

I'm only responding to this because Zeke e-mailed me and requested I read, etc., because apparently I mischaracterized or misunderstood something.

I have now read the post, and I need to ask Zeke to re-read my post, because I feel that he has minunderstood something.

If you look at what happened, you may understand my reaction, which was anything but overboard. I arrive on this site, having been invited by a popular member, and join in the fun with honest and harmless enthusiasm.

Only Valium and one other member responded to my introductory thread with a welcome. Nothing wrong there, as such threads are often overlooked, but two other very established members, including the site Supremo, posted critical remarks. These are not attacks, and I did not suggest they were attacks. I suggested they were criticisms of conduct, which is exactly what they were. Read these posts and you will see that, while they were not attacks, they were entirely negative.

Now, from my point of view as a new member, being criticized immediately by the boss and a long-standing member sets me in a bad light and really dampens my enthusiasm to wish to participate in the fun.

Imagine if I arrived at a gathering of all members. I introduce myself at the door, and only one person pays any attention. But the chap that runs the party and his best friend come up to me in turn and criticize me for attempting to make my presence felt at the party so soon. You should be a wall-flower for a while before starting a conversation, says one. And the Boss agrees. It's a breach of ettiquette to begin so many conversations so soon. Remember it in future. And then they walk off.

Now, most people with any dignity would leave the party. So I did.

To my mind, the only way to make yourself known among a group of new people is to begin lots of conversations right away. This is an initial strategy that never fails to make people at least notice you're there and get to know you. Then you can begin to fade back a little now that people realize you're there. This strategy has worked for me on many forums, and it never fails to make me an 'established member' much more quickly than your suggested strategy of hanging in the back for a while.

Furthermore, examine Zeke's reaction to my reply. He mis-quotes me by saying I accused people of 'attacking' me whereas I only said I was 'criticized.' Then he proceeds to implicitly compare my breach of understood behavior to 'eating soup with your hands'. Surely, beginning four conversations at a dinner table and monopolising the conversation for a few moments is not comparable to eating soup with hands. Now, if I had begun 100 threads and posted blue pictures and possibly made insulting remarks, the comparison might be appropriate.

But Zeke has again been critical and then attempts to make it all better by saying, 'Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.' No marks there for tact, Zeke. I think possibly this is more akin to eating soup with hands than beginning four threads in a day.

Remember, I'm only replying now because Zeke asked me to read his response. Understand that I am rather tired of administrators, moderators, and established members taking forums so confoudedly seriously that they enforce protocols that are definitely unwritten and almost certainly very vague and individualized in conception.

In examining Zeke's post, it seems not so much that he is apologizing to me as he is stating that he deserves to be recognized as being cleared of any slip of tact. I never asked Zeke for an apology and didn't expect one. Likewise, I am not going to comment one way or the other as to whether Zeke 'can be forgiven.'

The good Chancellor and I are members of a Doctor Who related site where we converse regularly, and I am a moderator on his own personal forum, so I look forward to further enlightening exchanges between the two of us.

I am sorry not to have the opportunity not to get to know any of you better, but I always set great store by first impressions, and my first impression of this site was that I was far from being a welcome addition and that the Supremo and established members take the site far too seriously.

Therefore, I leave. Please terminate my account Zeke, as I cannot for the life of me determine how this is achieved.

I sympathize with the cancellation of Enterprise. A fantastic show I think. But it has reached its end, as all things must end. Possibly you can join in the celebration of Doctor Who's return and maybe find joy in followingn this new programme, which has a great deal to offer people who like similar shows, such as Star Trek.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Sorry about all this. I would like to apologise for Ford's reaction - I had no idea he would flounce off like this or be so prickly. I invited him here because I thought it might be fun to have another nut around, and was then very busy for a few days, and so I've missed most of this.
So um......sorry everyone ops: ops:

Quote:
Before you leave in a huff (I definitely believe you're a friend of Valium's)
Ahem! :P :P
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!