The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous

Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Infinitely prolonged

Default I hope you’re happy, Zeke.

I thought you should know what you are responsible for, Zeke. Because of you, my family and I are now obsessive Mega Man fans.

Granted, it’s not completely your fault; all of us made our own choices that led us to this place. But before I read your fivers, none of us had even heard of Mega Man. Then one day I happened upon one of your Mega Man fivers. I had no idea what it was about, but I liked fivers in general, so I decided to read it. Then I read another. They were pretty funny, and made me slightly curious about Mega Man. I followed some of the links you posted to Mega Man sites, and started to learn about it.

That was as far as it went until about two years ago, when I picked up an issue of Nintendo Power. It contained some interesting articles about the Legend of Zelda, the Nintendo DS, and the new system Nintendo had revealed: the Revolution. It also mentioned Mega Man, and came with a DVD of E3 promo videos, including two of Mega Man games. Naturally, knowing a bit about Mega Man, this caught my interest. It also, apparently, caught my brother’s interest. He gave our sister a copy of Mega Man 64 (the Nintendo 64 port of Mega Man Legends) for her next birthday. They both really liked it (he liked it because it was fun to play and she liked it because she though Mega Man was cute). I also found it interesting, even though it had little to do with the Mega Man series I knew.

So by last Christmas, all three of us (and our younger brother, for that matter), had a vague interest in Mega Man. I kept this in mind when buying presents. Our family had recently come to possess our first portable game system, a Nintendo Ds. Unfortunately, the only game we had for it was a Gameboy Advance game. I thought it would be a good idea to get someone a game that was actually for the DS. I eventually decided to get my brother four things: a strategy guide for Mega Man Legends (even though the game belonged to my sister, my brother was the one who played it most), Megaman Battle Network 5 DS, the strategy guide for Battle Network 5, and the most recent issue of the Megaman NT Warrior Manga. (Incidentally, the Mega Man Legends guide still hasn’t arrived. Maybe I should write to Amazon about it.)

Coincidentally, my brother gave the family Mega Man Zero 3 (along with other GBA and DS games), and my sister gave me the first Battle Network game. I started playing it, and I loved it. Likewise, my brother liked the game I gave him, and my sister liked the manga I gave my brother (possibly even more than the Gundam Wing Manga I gave her).

That was the turning point. From then on, we were fans. We started watching, reading, and playing every Mega Man thing we could. Our collection of Mega Man games now totals thirteen (or up to seventeen, depending on your definition) spanning six of the seven game series. My brother, undisputedly the best gamer of the family, has beaten just about all of them: my sister, who usually doesn’t care for games, loves the Battle Network series: and my younger brother is pretty good at the Zero games. (Actually, both of my brothers are younger than me. When I say my younger brother, I mean the younger brother who is younger than my older younger brother. That makes sense, right?)

We’ve seen almost all of the first NT Warrior anime of DVD, as well as several episodes of the old Mega Man cartoon. (Interestingly, we first saw the cartoon a few days before you changed your member title to "Super Fighting Robot."). My sister has read all the issues of the NT Warrior manga, the entire archives of Bob and George, and more fan fics than I can count. She’s also tried writing a few fan fics. She and my brother keep coming up with weird crossovers and alternate universes. (For example, they've come up with an alternate universe where Chaud is actually the son of Dr. Regal, while Lan’s mother is the daughter of Dr. Wily (and therefore Dr. Regal’s younger sister), making Lan and Chaud cousins.)

So, I guess what I’m trying to say is "Thanks," Zeke. We really enjoy Mega Man, and we’re grateful that you introduced us to it. Although we will be expecting you to reimburse us for all the money we spent on Mega Man. I mean, its only fair.

Candace: (gasp) The square root of 'soon' is 'never'!

The Doctor: It was all in the job title: Head of human resources.
Lance: This time, it's personnel.

To God be the glory. ><>
Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Wow, the ENTIRE Bob and George archives? More power to ya. That's seven and a half years, over thousands and thousands of strips.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Last guardian of a fallen... wtf?

Location: Andromatlantis, in the Tri-Pegasus Galaxy. (Wait, what?)

So? I did that in about a week. And then I started again. So now I'm on about the fourth or fifth read through.

You mean you haven't...? Seriously you haven't read it all? SNAP TO IT MAN!

Also, it's approx 2.75 thousand, not counting sub-comics. I've also read all of Captain Gamer OOC, Universal Voyage, The Karnak Hates Everything Show, Super and Jazz, most of MS Paint Masterpieces, and that Taco thing that seems to have disappeared. Actually I've re-read UV and KHES too. Now I'm re-reading Super and Jazz.

I have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time on my hands!

Last edited by AKAArzosah; 08-30-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Well, of course I've read the whole thing. In fact, I've read everything except the last year at least three times. The subcomics are great, too, but I never really got hooked on any like BnG proper. I guess I was just saying that BnG is like...well...just about any guilty pleasure. Too much of any guilty pleasure can make you sick to my stomach. For example, I love brats, but too much at a time and I go ugh.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

In my as yet unpublished fiver for the film Tron, I made a disparaging joke about the MegaMan series. Ordinarily I'd put it down to boring old procrastination, but I suspect on this occasion there's more to it than that...

(And that's about the entirety of what I have to say about MegaMan. So there you go.)
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 PM

You wrote a fiver for Tron? Wow.