The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > Exosites > Five-Minute Stargate

Old 09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
You just activated his Trek card

Well, Nan, I can't argue the use of Real Life as an argument, but wasn't that a key reason for the existance of guest fivists? Would it be easier just to merge 5MSG back into a subsite of 5M.net, so you could have a little more help updating? You know, you retain the last say on what the final version of the fivers are, but Zeke, Marc and the gang can actually go through the process of publishing them here?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

It's been talked about. Actually, I'm the one who usually argues against it: I think 5MSG has its own identity which shouldn't be submerged into 5M.net's.

Regardless, this is Nan's business. And she has had Real Life like you wouldn't believe. 5MSG will return, but not until she's ready.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 AM

It's own identity? I respect exosites and subsites exactly the same. I think all of us do. It's a matter of which series we prefer and how much content they have.

We all have Real Life out of the ears. That's the sad part: we've been around so long that I don't think any of us are in high school anymore. We have jobs, classes, dates, all the other geeky sites we go to... :wink:

I suppose you're right: Nan has the "five minute Stargate" idea by right, and until she's ready nothing else can happen. She'd never claim the right to dictate how you use your time. I've tried going outside my bounds before and you've rightfully slapped me back into my place.

Let me just say that I'm looking forward to 5MSG coming out of cryostasis and I intend to be there to be a guest fivist again, if Nan lets me.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability
It's own identity? I respect exosites and subsites exactly the same. I think all of us do.
True, but not what I meant. With all the framing pages being written by Nan, 5MSG has a sort of personality of its own. The rules are different, too -- remember, we only allow one fiver per episode here.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:36 AM
...and not cowardly

There's a redesign in order, but it's on the backburner while I'm in school full-time.

Plus, I haven't had my own net connection since April.

Bleh.

I'm also revising policy about submissions. I'll still host the extra fivers, but I won't be taking submissions except in unusual circumstances.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:37 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

That was me, BTW.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Well, an Internet connection would be useful.

April? Yikes. I'd go through withdrawl symptoms after that much time. I just spent a month having cable internet, and now that I'm back to dialup I feel like a character from Flowers for Algernon.

"Extra fivers?" Please don't be offended when I say that thinking that guest fiver=extra fiver seems a little insulting. You have your claim to be the Godmother of 5MSG, but we underlings have our feelings too.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Administrator

That's not how I read her post, Nate. I think by "extra fivers" she means the duplicates (i.e. all but the first for each episode). Only the second half of her sentence is about guest fivers in general.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
...and not cowardly

This is Nate the Great. I'm only zipping in and out so I won't log in.

I apologize. I think of those as duplicate or parallel fivers, not extra fivers. What can I say, I had a brain cramp.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

I had a really tough week of intense schoolwork and physical upset, so I'm not inclined to be sociable nor diplomatic.

First:

5MSG a fan parody site which exists to amuse nerds. That's all.

Second:

The amount of emotional investment you have in mystifies me completely, Nate.

Third:

I ran 5MSG on my own time and resources, which are mine to do with as I please. I'm not Zeke. 5MSG is not my passion, it's a hobby which is far, far less important than than my education.

And finally:

The very reason I'm no longer taking guest fivers is because I had problems with people thinking I owed them something because they sent me a few pages of geek humour which I then had to proofread, edit, format, and incorporate into my site, by myself.

Yeah. That's worth the raging ego trips in my inbox. Not.

So, I'm not doing it anymore. No more submissions. I'll get to the rest of the series when I have the time and inclination, and that is that.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
I had a really tough week of intense schoolwork and physical upset, so I'm not inclined to be sociable nor diplomatic.

First:

5MSG a fan parody site which exists to amuse nerds. That's all.

Second:

The amount of emotional investment you have in mystifies me completely, Nate.

Third:

I ran 5MSG on my own time and resources, which are mine to do with as I please. I'm not Zeke. 5MSG is not my passion, it's a hobby which is far, far less important than than my education.

And finally:

The very reason I'm no longer taking guest fivers is because I had problems with people thinking I owed them something because they sent me a few pages of geek humour which I then had to proofread, edit, format, and incorporate into my site, by myself.

Yeah. That's worth the raging ego trips in my inbox. Not.

So, I'm not doing it anymore. No more submissions. I'll get to the rest of the series when I have the time and inclination, and that is that.
Fair enough. It's your life, after all
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:27 PM

You wouldn't believe the tirade I had typed before I thought better of it.

My emotional investment mystifies you? Golly gee, I'm the second most prolific Stargate fivist! Last time I checked you only had two fivers more than me. We each have a third of the content pie, with everyone else having to share the rest. I'm not claiming to own a third of the site, but I'm claiming to be one of the first guest fivists, I'm claiming to still love the idea of an audiofiver, I'm claiming to be a fan of you, Zeke, and the fiving community in general!

I love the site, I love fivers, I love Stargate. I want to do good by it.
If you merge back into 5MV, other people can take the time to do the nasty grunt work of posting and maintaing fivers. All you have to do is read and critique them! Half an hour a week! Everyone has half an hour a week! You'd even have time left over to have a Real Life.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:24 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

To say that Nan has Real Life in spades right now would be something of an understatement. She more than enough things going on to occupy her attention, and I don't think that it's entirely unreasonable that she's taken the decision to let 5MSG lie dormant for the forseeable future.

That said, I also don't think it would be entirely unreasonable to put it under the temporary management of someone who does have the time to spare to keep it ticking over, but it's Nan's subsite and therefore it's her call.

Just try and remember this, Infinite Improbability - Nan doesn't owe you anything. Please don't act like she does.
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
Golly gee, I'm the second most prolific Stargate fivist!
Quantity does not equal quality.

Kindly do Nan a favour and grind off that chip on your shoulder.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:02 AM

Where did I say quantity=quality? I don't recall saying ANYTHING of the kind! I was attempting to justify my "emotional investment," as Nan calls it. Call it a defensive reflex. Call it a rebuttal. Call it what you will, but at least stab me in the back with my own words.

Nan owes me squat. At least not personally. She owes it to the fiving community.

If you feel I'm being harsh unreasonably, please e-mail.

Nan, I apologize again for my personality and worldview which clash with yours, but I will never recant my position without good cause.

Kira and Marc chose to make a clean break and leave with honor. They were very good to me, and I will miss them.

Thank you PointyHairedJedi for at least agreeing that 5MSG needs the chance to be updated regularly.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Nan owes me squat. At least not personally. She owes it to the fiving community.
Now there I would have to disagree with you. To twist a phrase - fivers are a privilege, not a right. The whole concept of the fiver is to entertain, and to posit that it is somehow Nan's duty for the good of all mankind (or at least a little section of it) to keep 5MSG active is more than a little ludicrous. Zeke could (heaven forbid) decide to do the exact same thing tomorrow for 5M as a whole, and while I'd be sad about it I'd still argue the exact same thing. Do you get where I'm coming from?
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Quote:
Now there I would have to disagree with you. To twist a phrase - fivers are a privilege, not a right. The whole concept of the fiver is to entertain, and to posit that it is somehow Nan's duty for the good of all mankind (or at least a little section of it) to keep 5MSG active is more than a little ludicrous. Zeke could (heaven forbid) decide to do the exact same thing tomorrow for 5M as a whole, and while I'd be sad about it I'd still argue the exact same thing. Do you get where I'm coming from?
Truer words were never spoken, to quote Xeroc :wink:

Nan has a duty to herself. If Nan chooses to do this, it's because it#s fun. If there#s no time for it or it stops being fun, or if life is generally too crap to do it, then Nan has a duty to do right by herself. If this were a multi-national company, I might agree, II, but it isn't. It's a sci-fi fan's website, and, though this may come as a shock, not a very large one, in comparative terms.
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!