The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 09-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Distant relative of Tegan and Sara

Well, I go away for awhile and a DS9 thread pops up. First, I agree with whoever was talking about that certain type of DS9 fan, I think they get that way to counteract all the "I hate DS9 but never really watched it" folks who I also really don't like, not that it makes those certain DS9 fans any less annoying. I grew up a trekkie, my mom had about 1/2 of TOS on tape so I watched those constantly growing up. When TNG came out, it was a family event to watch those, so naturally when I heard about DS9 I was thrilled! Watched it from beginning to end, missing only a couple episodes which I have seen now thanks to DVD and it is definitely my favorite. I watched Voyager too and really tried to watch Enterprise, but haven't really kept up with it.

My favorite episode, that is really hard, but I will have to say The Visitor which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. I have never been so moved by an episode of Star Trek or any television show, moved to tears multiple times in the episode. It is too bad they didn't do more with Jake especially in season seven, the father/son Sisko stuff was always welcome. I was going to list other episodes that I really liked, but there are just too many

I really liked the character building in DS9, I always loved the small amount they did in TNG and TOS and it was what I always wanted more of in Trek. The exporation of many of the races, mostly Bajorans and Cardassians and later the Gamma Quadrant races. All the political intrigue was great. The fact that it explored a lot more of the darker side of things while still having time for fun times. I really appreciated how religion was always treated with respect, they really had a tough balancing act that I thought they pulled off. The Sisko/Prophets storyline always fascinated me. And the characters were great and had great stories. Sure, they series wasn't perfect and DS9 had a few really terrible episodes, but it always seemed like they were pushing the boundries on that show. Occasionally it was really bad, sometimes good, sometimes brilliant, but rarely was it ho-hum.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

Quote:
All the political intrigue was great. The fact that it explored a lot more of the darker side of things while still having time for fun times.

That`s very true, and almost a paradox - DS9 was the darkest and most serious Star Trek series, yet it had a brilliant sense of humour, an enormous amount of comedy episodes, and quite possibly the best humour among all Star Trek series. Odo and Quark... that`s just unmatched. And Garak... *bows* :mrgreen:

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 09-11-2004, 02:51 PM
...and not cowardly

Default when did I start?

I started watching TNG when I was in high school (mid-90's), loved it but I was never really a HUGE fan. I remember there would be times when I thought it kinda boring at times, so I never really followed the storylines. I don't remember the first time I saw DS9, but I do remember that it hooked me from the start. Unfortunately, school, travelling and bad TV scheduling made it impossible for me to follow what was going on. I would get patches here and there, and I remember staying up late to see the season finale, even though I didn't know how things had gotten to that point. That kinda sucked, because I knew how it all ended but not how it happenned. Thank goodness for Netflix is all I can say, since I just worked my way through the entire series over 6 months, and it cemented its position as the best trek ever. I need to check out Voyager as well, it never held me too much but it was sure better than Enterprise...

I love all the dark episodes and all the mirror episodes before season 6. They totally dissed the mirror universe in season 7, I guess everyone was kinda mailing it in at that time...

The ones that stuck in my memory the most were "Inter Armin Silent Leges", "In The Pale Moonlight", the first half of the finale, "Duet" (one of the best episodes of any series on TV, sci-fi or otherwise), and one that flies under most people's radar. I don't recall the episode name, but it's the one before the season 5 finale, where Jake and Nog try to buy the baseball card from the scientist who is afraid of the "Souless Minions of Orthodoxy". That was a nice respite before the conflict following.

Too bad we'll never see a DS9 movie, but thanks to the Rebirth books and fanfic, it lives!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Default Re: when did I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffMarsh
I don't recall the episode name, but it's the one before the season 5 finale, where Jake and Nog try to buy the baseball card from the scientist who is afraid of the "Souless Minions of Orthodoxy".
That's "in the Cards".

Nog: Lions and Gigers and bears ...
Jake: Oh, my ...

:mrgreen:

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 09-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

I started watching Deep Sleep Nine--um, sorry, Deep Space Nine--when it came out, purely because it was Star Trek. I enjoyed it a lot of the time, and appreciated Star Trek's attempt to try a somewhat different format. I liked the fact that there was an ongoing background involving Bajor and the Cardassians, which gave a greater feeling of continuity and flow rather than the villain of the week prevalent on TOS and TNG. I've always liked Rene Auberjonois, so I was glad to see him, and I liked Nana Visitor from the very beginning.

My only complaint was that Avery Brooks seemed to be behind a glass wall for the first few seasons. Later, Avery started to get fired up, and the show gained energy. And I was glad to see Worf--he is such a great and fully realized character, and I think Michael Dorn does a brilliant job with him--but there was really no plot-related reason for him to be on the station. They handled that badly. He seemed like a supernumerary, and if he were any other man he would have been completely extraneous. Fortunately, because it was Worf, they made it work.

I lost touch with it toward the end because I wasn't home the night it was on, so I know very little about Ezri or the resolution of the Dominion War. Overall, though, I thought they started slow when they first launched but before too long they were making a really compelling and contextually rich show.