The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2003, 04:42 AM
Annoy, tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!
Former Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Kira Send a message via MSN to Kira Send a message via Yahoo to Kira

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Now [iost_uid0]that[/iost_uid0] is a good hour of television.

I can't remember the last time [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] had me riveted from start to finish -- I nearly had to forego cooking supper because I was so hooked. Â I'm sacrificing a much-needed hour of sleep to watch it again as I type.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was fantastic -- by far the best we've had this season, and easily one of the best of the series to date.
[*]Normally, I'd whine about the use of the Big Shiny Reset Button, but since we all knew they weren't going to leave Earth blown up, it was to be expected. Â In fact, one of the reasons I paid so much attention was because I was curious how they'd manage it. Â And huzzah! Â They didn't pull a "Future Imperfect"/"The Search", which is pretty much what I was expecting. Â It was sort of a "Year of Hell" but I love that episode so I'm okay with that. [*]"[iost_uid0]Rosemary's Baby[/iost_uid0] -- it'll scare the Hell out of you." Â Heheheheh.[*]T'Pol with long hair? Â Love it. Â In fact, Jolene Blalock pulled out an amazing performance throughout. Â (I take back any wish to have her in a uniform -- it really doesn't suit her.)[*]I appreciated the little touches to the "older" crew, like Hoshi's hair and Malcolm's beard. Â They [iost_uid0]were[/iost_uid0] little, but they added to the feeling of time passing.[*]Poor Travis -- I think he got taken out during the big Xindi attack that destroyed the nacelle but I never caught a mention of him. Might have been nice if Archer had kept forgetting he was dead. Â (Heck, they already forget he's alive....)[*]I'm not necessarily an A/T shipper, but I liked the way they handled it here. Â It was tasteful, believable, and touching... imagine that from the series that brought you "A Night in Sickbay."[*]My one big nitpick was that the writers don't actually know what short- and long-term memory is. Â Short-term memory, if I recall my first-year psychology, only lasts seven minutes, not several hours or an entire day. Â Thus, Archer wouldn't remember anything that happened more than a few seconds ago. Â You [iost_uid0]can[/iost_uid0] keep something in short-term for longer, I think (say, repeating the number "47" to yourself for an hour would keep it in short-term memory), but due to its limited capacity Archer wouldn't actually be able to remember the events of an entire day -- or, for that matter, more than a few points of a briefing with Trip. Â But given the quality of the episode, and the fact that memory isn't something that's really well understood, I think this is one of those times when we can let it slide.

I'm curious to see if everyone else was as impressed with this outing as I was. Â Yay? Â Nay? Â Shouts of Boo-urns?[/colorost_uid0]