The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Ahh, so you're a... trombophonist?
Not quite as good as a saxamaphonist.

There's a number of things I could recommend:

Haydn's wonderful - check out any of the string quartets - and the "Surprise Symphony"

Mozart - anything.

Bach's Air on the G String is a very famous work I'm sure you've heard in televison. The fugues and cantats are all classics.

Beethoven - the piano concertos, and of course the symphonies. 5 and 9 especially.

Mahler - Symphonies 1 and 2

Orff - Carmina Burana

Copeland - Appalacian Spring, Rodeo, and Fanfare for the Common Man

Dvorak - Symphony 9 (my personal favorite)

Also, check out: Vivaldi (Four Seasons, any concerto), Handel, Berlioz (Symphony Fantastique), Chopin, Debussy, Wagner, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann, Saint-Saens, Tchaikovsky, Schostakovich, Stravinski.

And it looks like there's lots of Holst fans here. Jupiter's my favorite.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Well howdy, stranger. Long time no see.

Quote:
Bach's Air on the G String is a very famous work I'm sure you've heard in televison. The fugues and cantats are all classics.
I concur. D Minor and G Minor are my favourites by virtue of the fact they're the only two I've played.

Wagner's got some good stuff in Tannhauser - there's the passage that everyone knows as Kill Da Wabbit (actually Ride of the Valkyries), and a slower bit in 3/4 time that's done by the French horns but could be covered by the trombones (I have no idea what it's called, but it's part of the overture - I have a two-disc CD set of various overtures).

And of course, there's also the Radetzy March.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 AM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

Hey, Sax!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxamaphone
Haydn's wonderful - check out any of the string quartets - and the "Surprise Symphony"
Any of the late symphonies, as well.
Quote:
Beethoven - the piano concertos, and of course the symphonies. 5 and 9 especially.
And 3, 6, 7 and 8. Especially.
Quote:
Mahler - Symphonies 1 and 2
And 5. And 9. And Das Lied von der Erde.
Quote:
Dvorak - Symphony 9 (my personal favorite)
Nice.

Quote:
Also, check out: Vivaldi (Four Seasons, any concerto), Handel, Berlioz (Symphony Fantastique), Chopin, Debussy, Wagner, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann, Saint-Saens, Tchaikovsky, Schostakovich, Stravinski.
Other things by Holst besides The Planets (like the two Suites for Military Band, for example), Vaughan-Williams, Stamitz (both of them), Bachs J.C and C.P.E., Carl Maria von Weber, Ravel (!), Schoenberg, Bartok, Prokofiev, Charles Ives, Edgard Varese, Karlheinz Stockhausen, u.s.w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Wagner's got some good stuff in Tannhauser - there's the passage that everyone knows as Kill Da Wabbit (actually Ride of the Valkyries) ...
That would be Die Walküre, rather than Tannhäuser.
Quote:
... and a slower bit in 3/4 time that's done by the French horns but could be covered by the trombones (I have no idea what it's called, but it's part of the overture - I have a two-disc CD set of various overtures).
I'm not positive, but I think that you're referring here to Wotan's theme which recurs throughout the Ring cycle, sometimes called in Act III of this opera (sorry, "music drama") "Wotan's Magic Fire Music" -- one of my favorite leitmotifs from the whole sixteen-plus hours of music.

Back to Tannhäuser, though, the Grand Chorus near the end is pretty neat, too.

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 07-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

Quote:
I'm not positive, but I think that you're referring here to Wotan's theme which recurs throughout the Ring cycle, sometimes called in Act III of this opera
You can hear it in the Kill Da Wabbit short (which is why I thought they were from the same opera) where Bugs is wearing the blonde wig and pointy breastplate, trying to woo Fudd from atop the pudgiest horse I've ever seen.

Quote:
Other things by Holst besides The Planets (like the two Suites for Military Band, for example)
The first suite (which I played in City Band) got recycled into something called the Hebrides Suite (which I played in high school), by some composer whose name escapes me. The first and fourth movements of the latter were definitely inspired by the Holst piece (you can hear samples here: http://www.ssyo.org/ssyo.org/PERFORMANCE_SAMPLES.htm).
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
You can hear it in the Kill Da Wabbit short (which is why I thought they were from the same opera) where Bugs is wearing the blonde wig and pointy breastplate, trying to woo Fudd from atop the pudgiest horse I've ever seen.
Now I really am going to have to watch that one again -- it's been too many years since the last time.

Quote:
The first suite (which I played in City Band) got recycled into something called the Hebrides Suite (which I played in high school), by some composer whose name escapes me. The first and fourth movements of the latter were definitely inspired by the Holst piece (you can hear samples here: http://www.ssyo.org/ssyo.org/PERFORMANCE_SAMPLES.htm).
By Clare Grundman, looks like. He's been writing stuff for school bands since long before I started playing in them -- I'd be surprised if you hadn't played at least one piece by him, at some time or other.

EDIT:

I was checking to see if I could find out whether Grundman was still alive. Didn't find anything conclusive, but it turns out he's also a name in crossword-puzzle circles, as evidenced by this book. Heh.

Last edited by mudshark; 07-13-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

OMG Sax! Long time no see. ::jumps up and down and waves like crazy::

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudshark
EDIT:

I was checking to see if I could find out whether Grundman was still alive.
Hm, seems not.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Specifically, an altamato

Send a message via AIM to Saxamaphone Send a message via MSN to Saxamaphone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxamaphone

In summation: so much music, so little time.

Sad we won't see anything more from Grundman. I liked his stuff. But, I've just been getting exposed to all the band literature this year at college. I always thought it was just a bunch of marches, but that's what I get for playing jazz all in high school.

And thanks for the warm welcome I haven't had the internet for a while, and now I do. So, here I am.