The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 11-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf
Default Star Trek: Season Dos

I would've just continued the other thread, but it's just a compulsion of mine.

More threads! More clutter! AhahahA!

ahem

So I'm really liking how different the Star Trek volumes look on my shelf, as compared to all the other series I own on DVD. I'm not really liking that the silver paint on my Season One set is starting to rub off, but I guess that was going to happen anyway.

Since each season has a different uniform theme going for it (Season One has the command uniform and insignia, Season Two the science one), the menus are also different. Each menu starts off in the middle of a CGI-rendered bridge. In the first season, you view everything through the viewscreen. In the second season, they added that little viewer do-hickey at Sulu's station, and now you view everything from Spock's console. It's a rather neat idea, though I'm wondering what they'll do for season three. Scotty doesn't really have a specific place on the bridge.... maybe the menus will take place in the engine room? :::crosses fingers:::

The picture quality is as good as ever. The only episodes I've watched are -- you guessed it -- "The Omega Glory" and "Assignment: Earth". I would watch more, but I really sort of did promise my girlfriend that we'd watch them together, and so far the two of us have only powered through about half of season one.

However, I'm not letting that stop me on the extras . I'll let you know how those are once I've seen 'em.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

Default Re: Star Trek: Season Dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdgaf
Scotty doesn't really have a specific place on the bridge.... maybe the menus will take place in the engine room? :::crosses fingers:::
I thought there was a specific engineering station on the bridge; it's just not where Scotty was all that often. But the spot I'm thnking of is, if you're staring straight at the turbolift, the first one on the right.

Quote:
I would watch more, but I really sort of did promise my girlfriend that we'd watch them together, and so far the two of us have only powered through about half of season one.
Yep, know what that's like. My wife and I have watched all of TNG together two years ago, all of DS9 one year ago, and now all of Voyager this year. We started watching some of my 2-to-a-disc TOS episodes, but she's having a hard time getting into it.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Yeah, I thought the station to the right of the turbolift was the engineering station. I used to have the plans back in high school... I'm so glad that they're having fun designing these DVDs and not just grinding them out. I guess Paramount realizes the franchise only survives if they keep the fans at least marginally happy.

btw I haven't actually gotten these yet or looked them over, and I've missed all the chat about it, so quick question: commentary tracks? Yes?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Unabridged
Senior Staff

Send a message via ICQ to ijdgaf Send a message via AIM to ijdgaf Send a message via MSN to ijdgaf

There's four text commentary tracks on each season, but no audio commentaries.

Yeah, Scotty did have a place on the bridge. But when you think of Scotty, you don't think of that spot -- you think of engineering.

As I recall, that console isn't particularly unique compared to any other (whereas Spock's has that little viewfinder and that swirly do-hickey). When you click play on an episode, the first season menus zoom into the viewscreen. The second season menus zoom into the twirly thing at Spock's console. Scotty's console isn't unique enough for a cool effect, I'd say.

Derek -- my girlfriend's getting into TOS far more heavily than I expected. I was hesitant at first, expecting her to find it stupid. But she's almost obsessed by how cool Spock is. I wonder if she'd like the newer series better or worse.

Maybe it depends on what Trek you start off with. Kinda like imprinting.

...YOU CAN\'T UNREAD IT!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

Season 2 is The Best of TOS. Oh yeah. Especially because of Return to Tomorrow - a brilliant, BRILLIANT episode. With really great music.

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 11-19-2004, 02:06 AM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

Personally, I like Season One better. "Balance of Terror," baby. Plus "Conscience of the King," "The Menagerie," "Where No Man Has Gone Before," "Arena"... oh yeah. Good season.

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 11-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Gatekeeper
Exosite Head

Send a message via ICQ to Nan Send a message via Yahoo to Nan

The other day in class one of the students was humming the kalifee duel music. This amused me to no end.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

dunno that, but the Klingon music from the first 9 films...especially at the beginning of TMP.....that is catchy.....just not as catchy as the Charleston, otherwise I'd be humming it right now......
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 PM
He'd enjoy a third pie

Send a message via ICQ to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via AIM to PointyHairedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to PointyHairedJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
dunno that, but the Klingon music from the first 9 films...especially at the beginning of TMP.....that is catchy
Catchy?? Every few weeks it invades my brain anew and I just can't dislodge it. Well, there is one way, but it's even worse - I listen to the Banaphone song, and that displaces it. Except the Bananaphone song is so much worse.

I think the funniest use of that fight music ever has to be in that episode of Futurama where they go to Zoidberg's home planet. Zoidy and Fry are about to fight to the death in this arena, and the officiating crustacean says "All rise for our national anthem!" And guess what plays...
- Five Minute 24 S1 (it lives, honest!)

"Everybody loves pie!"
- Spongebob Squarepants
Old 11-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Reasonably priced male pills

Send a message via MSN to Chancellor Valium

I can't imagine. Seriously.
but the bananaphone song rules! that song is superior even to badgerbadgerbadger. btw, have u seen windows RG edition? (really good)
Is the earth of a dusty tomorrow!