The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > Science Fiction

Old 03-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Is he ever gonna hit Krazy Kat, or what?

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0="Guest"]Many first species representatives (i.e. Spock, Worf) end up on the flagship.[/quoteost_uid0]
Was the original NCC-1701 a flagship? That was never my impression.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I don't recall it ever being stated as such, but it [iost_uid0]could[/iost_uid0] be inferred from episodes like [iost_uid0]The Ultimate Computer[/iost_uid0] or [iost_uid0]Journey to Babel[/iost_uid0], perhaps.[/colorost_uid0]

'Yes, but I think some people should be offended.'
-- John Cleese (on whether he thought some might be offended by Monty Python)
Old 03-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Dean of misderektion
Senior Staff

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Perhaps, but Kirk was only a Captain while Decker was a Commodore. Since a Commodore is actually a flag officer, I'd be more inclined to think the Constellation was the flagship than the Enterprise.

Then again, later Treks don't put flag officers on flagships, so what do I know?[/colorost_uid0]
Old 03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
The lens that flares in the night
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zeke Send a message via AIM to Zeke Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Re: Derek's thoughts on "Damage," heheh. I had the same thought.

As for "Azati Prime"... holy spluck. Seriously. I've been impressed with this season, but this blew the roof clear off. The attack on [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] was the most emotionally wrenching thing I've seen on TV in years. Not only that, but the episode tied together threads from all over the season, and moved the arc along by huge strides. You'd better believe I can't wait to see the final stretch.[/colorost_uid0]

[03:17] FiveMinZeke: Galactica clearly needs the advanced technology of scissors, which get around the whole "yanking on your follicles" problem.
[03:17] IJD: cylons can hack any blades working in conjunction
Old 03-08-2004, 07:48 PM

[quoteost_uid0="Derek"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Perhaps, but Kirk was only a Captain while Decker was a Commodore. Since a Commodore is actually a flag officer, I'd be more inclined to think the Constellation was the flagship than the Enterprise.

Then again, later Treks don't put flag officers on flagships, so what do I know?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Hey, I don't know, either -- just playing games. We did have a few other Commodores in TOS, including a somewhat ineffectual one assigned to the [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] in [iost_uid0]The Deadly Years[/iost_uid0], and one who was pretty cool, but turned out to be (more or less) fictitious (Mendez, in [iost_uid0]The Menagerie[/iost_uid0].)[/colorost_uid0]

Old 03-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[quoteost_uid0="Zeke"][color=#000000ost_uid0]The attack on [iost_uid0]Enterprise[/iost_uid0] was the most emotionally wrenching thing I've seen on TV in years. Not only that, but the episode tied together threads from all over the season, and moved the arc along by huge strides. You'd better believe I can't wait to see the final stretch.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]With the ending that Season 3 seems to be having. I'd be really upset if they didn't bring it back next fall.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Wigging out

Send a message via ICQ to Nic Corelli

[quoteost_uid0="Gatac"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Point taken, but then, I never liked this kind of run on new species before. A stray Tellarite or Andorian (heck, not even a speaking part, just an extra) for flavour wouldn't have hurt. It also bears some examination whether they were at least mentioned in one of the newer series, seeing how they are supposed to be two of the founding members of the Federation.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, I`m still Enterprise-season 3-deprived, but on rare occasions I read these threads (when there are no major spoiler warnings).

But I`m watching DS9 on a daily basis for months already, and I can tell you that Andorians were mentioned in "Explorers", while one Klingon spoke of killing a Tellarite in "Apocalypse Rising", when he boarded the bridge of some Federation starship.[/colorost_uid0]

~A Game of Thrones, book one of Song of Ice and Fire
Old 05-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Wigging out

[quoteost_uid0="Celeste"][color=#000000ost_uid0]With the ending that Season 3 seems to be having. I'd be really upset if they didn't bring it back next fall.[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]So has the show been renewed?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Insert canine joke here

Send a message via AIM to Celeste Send a message via MSN to Celeste Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I haven't heard any news. But supposidly they've started building sets or something for next season. It's on Trektoday somewhere. So chances are good it's not being canceled.[/colorost_uid0]

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`Floss Naked!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

[color=#000000ost_uid6]^Assuming ratings pick up, that is.

Last I knew (a week or two ago) Enterprise was still considered to be on the bubble.[/colorost_uid6]

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Wigging out

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Haven`t they announced the fall schedules already?

Hmpf. I think UPN was just trying to freak Berman and Braga out with all the talk about possible cancellation, so they would madly work 24 hours a day, trying to improve the quality of the show radically. And judging by everyone`s comments on season 3, it worked. A gun pointed to your head can obviously do wonders for creativity...[/colorost_uid0]

Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 AM

[quoteost_uid0="Nic Corelli"][color=#000000ost_uid0]Haven`t they announced the fall schedules already?[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Not until August or thereabouts. There may be news before then, but nothing's cast in stone until the TV critics' press tour.[/colorost_uid0]