The Five-Minute Forums  

Go Back   The Five-Minute Forums > FiveMinute.net > News
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Seeing what's out there
Former Staff

My compliments to Scooter (who correctly got the buffalo reference) and to Mudshark (who PM'd me the correct reference for the "remedied" quote).

This part of Cliffhangers is an homage to the films of Edward D. Wood, with much of the material drawn from or inspired by "Plan 9 From Outer Space". The "remedied" line is a Criswell quote from one of the last films Wood was associated with, "Orgy of the Dead." The buffalo stampede is from the first film Wood directed, "Glen or Glenda" (in which it makes as little sense as it does in Cliffhangers).

For a hilarious introduction to the life and work of Wood, I recommend the 1994 documentary "Ed Wood: Look Back in Angora." The film presents Wood by intercutting material from his own films with interviews and wry comments from the narrator to create one of the funniest documentaries I've ever seen.

The film often splices together bits from several Wood films so that they will play off each other in an entirely new way. In one part, for instance, the narrator declares that Wood tried to put together some new projects after Plan Nine. We then cut to a film sequence where a character (played by Wood) says, "Ah my dear, what I have for you will be a feast for your very eyes." The film then cuts to a character from a different movie snorting, "What have you got this time -- more junk?" Well worth seeing.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Our last, best hope for peace
Staff

And here I was thinking it was going to involve a Mad Magazine issue from 1975.

Wouldn't have got that no matter how long I guessed.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Admiral Ross: Hi, I'm your new recurring character.
Sisko: I didn't order one of those.
Admiral Ross: How odd. Like my old admiral uniform?
Sisko: No, it clashes with everything.
Heeheehee

Quote:
Nog: GAH! Why no chairs in here?
O'Brien: I believe it's a time to stand, cadet.
Nog: Phaser please, that was just too bad.
Bashir: Give over, at least you don't have Sickbay in your quarters.
O'Brien: You're sleeping in Sickbay? Such dedicated professionalism from --
Bashir: Kill him.

Quote:
The Overmind: Excellent job with the eradication of the Terrans. Now do it again, once more, with feeling.
Cerebrate: I am NOT turning this into a musical.
:mrgreen:

Quote:
Zeke: (from inside his coating of ice) MMMmnnGHMmmpfNNNGHGH!
IJD: I didn't quite catch that.
Derek: He's saying something about pain and bodily damage. He sounds pretty agitated too.

Kira: Okay, that's helpful to know.
Narrator: ...mercifully unaware of the horrific fate that Fate had in store for them!
Kira: Unsettling, mind you, but helpful.

Marc: I'd also like to point out that on the hightway we were driving in daylight but that here it's the middle of the night. I'm suprised nobody noticed that little detail.
Zeke: I noticed. Everything is pitch black!
Marc: That's because you're still hiding under the seat.
Zeke: Oh.

IJD: Will somebody please explain what's going on here? You make it sound like we're being attacked by stock footage.
Marc: We are. It was all I could afford on the ridiculously low budget I was given to produce my part of our adventure.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote:
Suspense: SNAP!
(CRASH!)
Zeke: Ow!
Kira: Oooh, that's gotta hurt.

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs
Old 07-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Noodles And Hot Tofu! MMM

Send a message via Yahoo to NAHTMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
This part of Cliffhangers is an homage to the films of Edward D. Wood
Ah, well then I didn't have the slightest chance . At first I thought you were piling in as many detective/police series as you could, but then the monsters came along and nixed that...

Yup

“There must have been a point in early human history when it was actually advantageous to, when confronted with a difficult task, drop it altogether and go do something more fun, because I do that way too often for it to be anything but instinct.” -- Isto Combs